[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone got a infochart like this but for literature on the Roman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: 1498183513116.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1498183513116.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
Anyone got a infochart like this but for literature on the Roman Empire or just Roman history in general?
>>
File: 1489009065455.jpg (2MB, 4800x3834px) Image search: [Google]
1489009065455.jpg
2MB, 4800x3834px
There are annotated bibliographies made by scholars for these things but your ilk would never know
>>
>>9676697
needs more strabo, caesar's civil wars, and if you want to go modern, instead of Rome, get L'Annalistique romaine by Chassignet.
some of the propaganda you could be better off with Ennius.

also, really, hbo rome? read the satyricon instead. decline and fall by gibbons should be there too
>>
File: can_I_borrow_a_template.jpg (144KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
can_I_borrow_a_template.jpg
144KB, 640x480px
>>9676697
>excluding Apuleius
>>
>>9676668
http://4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Charts
>>
>>9676668
I've never understood why this guide puts Hesiod after Sophocles. Although honestly it wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't actually read Hesiod as his note on it seems to manage to imply that Elegies is attributed to Hesiod.

Also goes far too light on play recommendations. Recommending the complete works of Plato and Aristotle and almost completely neglecting all but one extant playwright is ridiculous.
>>
>>9676723
>>9676741
The Roman chart was never complete, nor could it ever hope to be if it were to stay as concise as the Greek chart. Any of us who have half-seriously read any Roman stuff will know there is loads missing; the point is to serve as an intro to the epoch and hopefully cover sufficiently diverse bases, allowing readers new to Rome to be able to get a foothold in the subject matter and branch out on their own. No need to list every Livy volume on the chart; if a new reader likes Livy vol 1, he can read more Livy.

>>9676848
Some picks from the Greek chart are suspicious. I've rarely seen the Strauss book or the epic fragments on a shelf, never seen the Cambridge companion, and I know literally zero people who have read all of Aristotle. I think it's still a good start but hopefully long before you "finish" the chart, you've grown familiar enough with the material and are judicious enough to know what it lacks and what can be cut out.

Also just a personal opinion, but drama was a lot harder for me to get into than any other Greek genre. It eventually got fun, but didn't stick as fast or as strong as history, epic, or even philosophy. I think not many people are used to reading drama, so there's little experience to lean on when reading the Greek dramatists; the histories, epics, and even Plato can all be read in somewhat the same mood as fiction or modern history.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.