[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://medium.com/incerto/only-the -rich-are-poisoned-the-p

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_8834.png (127KB, 444x482px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8834.png
127KB, 444x482px
https://medium.com/incerto/only-the-rich-are-poisoned-the-preference-of-others-c35ddf65cf68

This sums up literary culture.

>When people get rich, they shed their skin-in-the game driven experiential mechanism. They lose control of their preferences, substituting constructed preferences to their own, complicating their lives unnecessarily, triggering their own misery. And these are of course the preferences of those who want to sell them something.

>I once had dinner in a Michelin-starred restaurant with a fellow who insisted on eating there instead of my selection of a casual Greek taverna with a friendly owner operator, his second cousin as a manager and his third cousin once removed as a receptionist. The other customers seemed, as we say in Mediterranean languages, to have a cork plugged in their behind obstructing proper ventilation, causing the vapors to build on the inside of the gastrointestinal walls, leading to the irritable type of decorum you only notice in the educated upper classes. I note that, in addition to the plugged corks, all men wore ties.

>Dinner consisted in a succession of complicated small things, with microscopic ingredients and contrasting tastes that forced you to concentrate as if you were taking some type of exam. You were not eating, rather visiting some type of museum with an affected English major lecturing you on some artistic dimension you would have never considered on your own.
>>
>>9675437
>don't worry plebs high quality food isn't that good

Pure ideology
>>
>>9675512
Restaurant food is often not high quality it is just fancy junk food
>>
>>9675437
>all men wore ties.
So?
This article seems kind of stupid.
>>
>>9675545

There is all to love from fancy junk food, it's both aesthetic and junky.
>>
Let’s return to the restaurant experience and discuss constructed preferences as compared to natural ones. If I had a choice between paying $200 for a pizza or $6.95 for the French complicated experience, I would pay $200 for the pizza, plus $9.95 for a bottle of Malbec wine. Actually I would pay to not have the Michelin experience.

The article was good until this point. Who hurt them? Their contempt for the upper-class stuff and "experience" comes off as bitter and unappreciative. The pizza is nice and is always delicious to eat (the price being an added positive); but people are paying $200 for the experience, effort and quality of ingredients that go into the French experience. Just because he didn't like it, it doesn't mean rich people are just pretending to. Rich people don't substitute pizza dinners for $200 French wankery at high class restaurants; they are just able to afford it and can go out more often. They probably eat pizza just as often as he does too. He also conveniently leaves out comparing how healthy the two experiences are. Pizza is junk food, you're paying far less obviously because you aren't getting the experience, but also because the ingredients are a lot worse in quality.

This is like people (normies) who read a literary classic, and when they finish they rant about how much they hated it. Their contempt for "high" literature and lack of appreciation for its merits comes from their inability to understand and appreciate the qualities that make it so good, and what good actually means. Find a difficult classic piece of literature and check the 1 star reviews on Goodreads - most of them will be things like "I can't understand why everyone loves this!, "Ugh its so pretentious!", or "the people who like this book/author are only pretending to so they can look smart and cultured. ["cultured" being in scare quotes for added effect]." Its the same shit for fine dining.
>>
>>9675728
Thanks for sticking to your opinion without being butthurt about it
>>
File: read.jpg (101KB, 750x400px) Image search: [Google]
read.jpg
101KB, 750x400px
>>9675437
>some artistic dimension you would have never considered on your own
You heard it hear first, /lit/: broadening your horizons is bad
>>
>>9675730
>He hasn't read anything by Nassim Taleb
You have to read before posting, newfag.
>>
>>9675760
What should I know about him?
>>
>>9675730
>their inability
That isn't their fault, It's yours, you can't keep repeating "You don't understand!" while pointing to a can of human excrement and not expect them to give up understanding art.
>>
>>9675746
>mon manger
>mon boire
>>
>>9675885
That's a stupid analogy to make.

A can of human shit is a can of human shit to anyone, even if its some obscure post-post-post modern art piece.

He was talking about fine dining. The comparison I made to 'great literature', when people cry about how overrated it is and how they can't understand why everyone else likes it is far different to the shit in a can analogy you used. You know as well as I do that bullshit pomo art/sculpture/exhibit is not considered aesthetic, talented, sublime etc by almost everyone; and people who you think are elitists (those who tell others "you don't understand!") would consider these things as plebian novelty.
>>
>>9675730
>This is like people (normies) who read a literary classic, and when they finish they rant about how much they hated it. Their contempt for "high" literature and lack of appreciation for its merits comes from their inability to understand and appreciate the qualities that make it so good, and what good actually means
However one could argue that a good book/song/or anything really, should cater to all people, even the stupid/ignorant, etc.

If the writer was so talented, he would have known that man has been this way forever, it's not new that some are "stupid", he should have found a way to connect with them too

Although, I do agree personally. I agree that people don't know what they don't know. I agree that in say, music, certain people will claim a band is "the best ever" or "great" but the only reason they believe so is because they don't actually have an understanding of music compared to someone else. They only have knowledge of a small, tiny, portion of music so therefore don't really have the understanding of depth, they don't have refined taste, etc, so they can't actually know what they're missing.

And it's probably not hatred, but rich/upper class/middle class people have always behaved in this way. Vapid and empty, they like what they are supposed to like and that's it. 0 talent, 0 creativity, except in rare cases. They are never desperate, and so they never produce anything worthwhile.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.