[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has he ever been surpassed as a psychologist and moralist? The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0016.jpg (60KB, 425x571px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0016.jpg
60KB, 425x571px
Has he ever been surpassed as a psychologist and moralist? The only better writer I can think of is Shakespeare.
>>
who?
>>
>>9673940
henry james muhfugga
>>
>>9673942
Oh yeah, he's alright, but Herman Melville is better.
>>
>>9673935
Among novelists, maybe Tolstoy and Proust. Otherwise, yes, probably just Shakespeare.
>>
>>9673935
I think it's safe to say he surpassed Shakespeare as a psychologist. The only writer (of fiction) I'm aware of who had a better understanding of psychology than James is Robert Musil.
>>
Hawthorne tbqh
>>
Henry James is such a massive fucking faggot holy shit. Every idea he ever had about the craft of writing was wrong and his shit is so sterile and brittle. Holy shit I fucking hate Henry James and his wannabe euro fetishism and his bald head and his other end of the gloryhole lips and jesus fucking christ what about him isn't banal and boring and childishly misguided?
>>
>>9674171
go to bed william
>>
>>9674173
also he can't fucking grow a beard to save his life, did you see that pathetic shit he tried once?
>>
>>9674055
this
>>
James is the greatest American novelist by a mile.
Can actually write women, puts him ahead of Melville or Twain
>>
>>9674644
This becomes obvious when taking the time to read him, which too few here do. Pity.
>>
>>9675266
Can't write men or women. All of his characters are plastic and shallow
>>
I was tricked into reading Thomas Hardy because I had heard that he was "almost a modernist". I've heard the same thing said about James. Is he another meme?
>>
>>9675843
If you haven't got the chops to appreciate Hardy, then forget about James as he's miles out of your league. Stick to the easy stuff.
>>
>literary realism
There's something terribly sad and banal about that.
>>
>>9675851
I was already wary of him because of his nationality, but thanks for confirming.
>>
>>9675851
>If you haven't got the chops to appreciate Hardy

Are you fucking stupid? What kind of attitude is this to have? Maybe it's not his cup of tea.
>>
>>9675851
Except Hardy is just a poor writer
>>
>>9675879
except youre just a poor reader
>>
Didn't DFW have an undergrad degree in psychology?
>>
>>9676660
t. someone who enjoys reading about moustachio'd villains and dairy maids
>>
>>9676664
Philosophy.
>>
>>9675838
Good Lord, dude. That's completely false. The worst memes are the ignorant ones and /lit/ is poorly served with the propogation of THAT and its likes....
>>
>>9676729
>Tess of D"ubervilles
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.