[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've read it multiple times, but I rarely employ the st

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: howtoreadabook.jpg (287KB, 1352x2097px) Image search: [Google]
howtoreadabook.jpg
287KB, 1352x2097px
I've read it multiple times, but I rarely employ the strategies it advises, at least on paper. It's kind of like the procrastinator's dream book in a way -- you're essentially reading about reading, which becomes a handy excuse for delaying that book binge you have planned for the summer. I'm split on the book's material. On one hand, I want to say how insightful it can be when describing how the author and the reader interact, and how information is presented and absorbed. On the other hand, I can't help but think this is all just an extremely long-winded way of saying "pay attention".

You will have undoubtedly learned about some of the strategies in the book back in grade-school (assuming your district was worth anything). But, if you enjoy reading, or you enjoy reading about reading, or you're just curious about the process itself and would like to learn just how in depth a text can be analyzed, and are willing to employ time intensive strategies that aren't supported by scientific evidence to improve your comprehension, critical thinking, or meta cognition, I'd recommend getting it.
If you want a true overview of the book, here: http://faculty.tcu.edu/grant/30643/HOWTOREADABOOK.PDF

That all said, the strategies that Adler presents will only apply to the most dedicated (and faithful), but for the rest of us it will most likely have the same fate (not the book, but the ideas in it) as encyclopedias and most other large book sets; they make you look smart and look good on the shelf, but as for utility... they're probably going to remain there.
>>
>>9670153
> delaying that book binge you have planned for the summer.

more like how to read /lit/, amirite
>>
lol i literally could not have even imagined a more boring waste of time. Do you any sort of will or imagination?
I assume you are probably a tremendously boring person.
>>
File: .png (86KB, 325x300px) Image search: [Google]
.png
86KB, 325x300px
>>9670177
Not much imagination, no, and yes I am an incredibly boring person.
>>
>>9670187
it's okay cuz it's actually kinda funny.
the image of someone reading a book about how to read books literally made me lol.
>>
this book isn't that much of a meme

more like something you read in an AP Lit class, before you bust out post it notes for the first chapter of Jane Eyre and then sort of stop after a while
>>
>>9670153
I use this book. I realise I'm shit at reading, and I expect to learn to read just like I would any other skill, by practicing a number of hours a day for several years. I don't get your point?

You don't, but other people on this board always act like it's some meme book whose principles are obvious to everyone, yet the author, who was a renowned philosopher and teacher, himself says that he is still not good at reading. Why is everyone on this board so arrogant about their skill in reading?
>>
How to Read a Book is next to useless if you are struggling with reading Fiction, and except for a few choice bits is next to useless for anyone who is not retarded for reading Non-fiction.
>>
>>9670245
"We all enjoy the illusion that we read better than we do; no least, no doubt, those who set out to write about how to read" – I.A. Richards, How to Read a Page.

TL;DR, dock your arrogance or you'll get nowhere.
>>
>>9670249
You're assuming that the strategies in "How to Read a Book" are the most effective means of improving your reading comprehension, critical thinking skills, etc.
>>
I started reading this once, but quit once I realized I wasn't actually going to do any of the shit he recommends.
>>
>>9670245
Yes, it's primary purpose is to help you understand non fiction books. For fiction he recommend to read the book fast, so you don't forget anything before you finish and to be emotionally invested. You should let the book act on you, which is something you probably can't learn by reading a book. He also tries to explain how you should find out why you like a fiction book, but he is really vague about that.
>>
>>9670275
He was really vague on a lot of his suggestions.
>>
>>9670259
I'm assuming that I can't know that until I've read and understood it.
>>
>>9670288
You should prolly not tell people to "dock their arrogance" for criticizing books that you haven't even read.
>>
>>9670259
>>9670288
And after that, put its principles into practice.
>>
>>9670290
I have read it...?
>>
>>9670153
What's the problem? Just apply its principles. Cf. the chapter on acquiring the "habit" of reading and on the fact that a practical book cannot solve its main problem itself.
>>
>>9670370
>I'm assuming that I can't know that until I've read and understood it.
>I have read it
don't respond to me again
>>
>>9670382
Hahahahah. You really should read it m8, your reading comprehension is pathetic.
>and after that, put its principles into practice.
I'm at that stage.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.