[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've heard so much controversy over what translations of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

I've heard so much controversy over what translations of Dostoevsky to read and the Russians in general. Is it even worth reading the translations if all of them are messed up? What do you guys recommend?
>>
Please don't think that you shouldn't read something just because it's translated. Some translations are excellent and do a perfectly competent job of translating the work. It's true that you won't be reading the exact words the author wrote down, but a good translator will work to preserve the meaning, language, prose style, etc., so as to offer an experience closest to the original. The best thing you can do for yourself is sample different translations and read the one(s) that sound best to you. In general I think Constance Garnett is very good for Dostoevsky, and I'd recommend her, especially the revised versions, but you should really shop around and see what works for you.
>>
>>9669581
Currently reading MacAndrew, it's excellent.
Avsey, McDuff, and revised/edited Garnett are also highly recommend.
Beautiful book.
>>
I have Richard Pevear
which is the /lit/ approved version?
or truest version to the feel/mood of the story?
>>
>>9669684
help us
>>
nobody actually living on the planet earth gives a fuck about this. just read the book for gods sake. the "life is short" meme is just that, a meme, almost everyone on this board is really young, you have time
>>
You're not going to read the author's true original words, but you're still going to read a fucking good book. Most translations are fine, honestly.
>>
>>9669772
which is the finest
>>
baka desu senpai
>>
>>9669779
+1
>>
>>9669587
This is sensible advice. What i do is i pick a passage and compare as many translations i can get my hands on (whatever i can find on libgen and such), though never the beginning or the end. If I know where a key passage is i choose that, otherwise I just pick at random. If i have more than two translations at my disposal I drop the least favourite at each reading until the mightiest prevails.
>>
>>9669581
Asvey, Mcduff and Meyer translate Dostoyevsky well. Magarshack and Garnett are okay. P&V is bad.
>>
>>9669581
Garnett translations are probably the best and supposedly the most similar to Dostoevsky's style. They do a great job of capturing the dialogue and individual characters, which is arguably the most important part of his books. My only pet peeve is that Garnett simplifies the Russian name system quite a lot, but this really shouldn't bother you if you don't know what you're missing.

P&V translations aren't as good.

Besides, you can find the Garnett translations for like 3 bucks. If you don't like it then you can just find a different one.
>>
McDuff vs. Avsey
Who is better/most accurate?
>>
Help
>>
>>9670318
>Garnett is okay
>P&V is bad
>being this wrong
>>
Please help which is best Avsey, McDuff or MacAndrew?
>>
File: IMG_2643.jpg (51KB, 324x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2643.jpg
51KB, 324x499px
Is this one good?
>>
From what I understand, the P&V translations are the most complete, as Garnett would often skip passages that she couldn't translate well. The P&V hate is pretty exclusive to /lit/ in my experience. I've known many native Russian speakers who swear by P&V as the most accurate translations.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.