[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Saw the chemistry thread and saw some good recommendations, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: plato_let_no_man_ignorant_5.jpg (54KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
plato_let_no_man_ignorant_5.jpg
54KB, 540x540px
Saw the chemistry thread and saw some good recommendations, but my question is, are there any good geometry books out there that you guys know about?

Some old ancient Greek texts (plato) would be nice to learn along a modern college geometry text (the more rigorous the better) would be appreciated.

This technically falls as starting with the Greeks yeah? Also General STEM books thread if you want to post.
>>
I feel like you think Plato wrote about geometry, but he didn't. What he was interested in was the proofs. You could get a similar experience from symbolic logic if you don't want to do mathematics. Otherwise any rigorous mathematics would be fine. Back in plato's day the only rigorous mathematics was Euclid's elements (as far as I know), and that was geometry.
>>
Euclid's Elements has held up surprisingly well over the millennia.
>>
>>9664263
>Euclid's elements
see yeah i wanted to know if /lit/ knew of other books, i saw this book and supposedly the first volume is plato's work. And yeah plato is the earliest guy i knew to write about geometry.

But if plato wasn't the first to write about geometry then who did? Earlier civilizations?
>>
>>9664276
Thanks man, im probably going to start there. If nothing else then ill do some research on some college geometry text books with some online lectures.

Maybe im just interested in the history instead of the actual geometry itself. who knows.
>>
>Some old ancient Greek texts (plato) would be nice
The Timaeus might float your boat. Euclid's Elements is still good today, even if there are things that he doesn't do that are later done by folks like Descartes and those people who came up with other geometries in the past few hundred years.
>>
>>9664277
Geometry was originally the measurement of the earth, useful for the construction of things like pyramids and grain silos. Egypt, Babylon, the list goes on.
>supposedly the first volume is plato's work
I've never heard this before and I don't see why it matters.
>>
>>9664244
Kiselev I & II, Coxeter, then Euclid with Hartshorne (sp?)
>>
>>9664244
>chemistry thread

Link?
>>
>>9664277
>But if plato wasn't the first to write about geometry then who did? Earlier civilizations?

The Chinese also independently discovered Pythagoras theorem, and they also independently founded matrix theory and Gauss elimination, both of which are used in modern geometry.

Ancient geometry isn't all that interesting from a purely maths point of view, when it got interesting was the 17th century through the 19th century with the addition of modern algebra(Euler), calculus(Leibniz), solid mechanics, fluid mechanics, linear algebra, etc etc.
>>
>>9664277
All fundamental disciplines were founded by Hermes Trismegistus
>>
>>9667370
This includes spaceflight.
>>
>>9667370
back to /x/ with you tinfoilian.
>>
File: GMTH.jpg (27KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
GMTH.jpg
27KB, 432x432px
>>9664244
I have a copy of Sir Thomas Heath's, "A History of Greek Mathematics," in two volumes.

Would recommend.

Here's a pdf link to the first volume for you.

>http://www.wilbourhall.org/pdfs/heath/HeathVolI.pdf
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.