[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have started a collection of rare, old books for my own personal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: s-l1600.jpg (28KB, 510x510px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
28KB, 510x510px
I have started a collection of rare, old books for my own personal pleasures (for decoration, leisure, historical value, preservation...), and I seek advice from anons willing to share their experiences and tips for purchasing as well as searching for rare books at discount prices, both online and in the real world. I mostly collect philosophical, historical, religious works of European authors, but I also am open to other subjects and literary styles such as poetry.

I tried a few book sales, but I find these to be a waste of time as the books there are almost always of no value to myself. Unfortunately, one seldom stumbles upon fortuitous findings with the advent of the Internet.

Picture not really related.
>>
How old are you considering old? I usually go to antique stores and occasionally I end up with some neat finds that were printed in the early 1900s. I would like to start collecting medieval books but I'm poor.
>>
>>9664980
Pre 20th century, but preferably before 1850. However, there are some great novels that came after the great war that I believe are a must have.
>>
>>9664001
How do you store/preserve them?

Do you have any particular set up for reading them?

>I seek advice from anons willing to share their experiences and tips for purchasing as well as searching for rare books at discount prices, both online and in the real world

There are three good ways of going about this however none of this are quick options.

1. Charity bookstores - mostly YA and pulps but you will find gems depending on the area and your country. Depending on the place you might even be able to get them to call you if good stuff comes in

2. Ebay - works better for specific titles but just everynow and again search for something and sort by date added. Everyblue moon you will get some idiot looking to hock an old book for cheap.

3. Estate Auctions, your best bet although it often means having to buy bulk lots just to get one or two good books. Grandpa (ie future you) dies and his kids dont give a shit about reading or collecting and just get the agency to sell everything in the house so they can have a holiday.

4. University Library sales - you wont find a guttenberg bible but you might find some lovely facsimiles
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.