[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just read this and I'm interested in reading some stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Just read this and I'm interested in reading some stuff from the other side. Are there any Persian/Asian sources of the Greco-Persian Wars?
>>
follow up - is there any good ancient persian literature?
>>
Barbarian niggers are shit, just read Thucydides
>>
>>9660633
>>9660633
hahahaaha

welcome to the reason why the Western Ethos prevailed and will prevail forever.
>>
I love Herodotus' way of telling history. Are there any other authors who tell it in the same way of taking huge diversions then coming back to the main narrative, and include random rumours and tales they got told?
>>
>>9661093
Dionysius of Halicarnassus
Plutarch's lives
First 5-10 books of Diodorus Siculus

Possible choices (haven't read them, but from what I know of them they may be interesting to you):

Gellius, Attic Nights
Athenaeus, The Deipnosophists
>>
bump for more Persian lit
>>
>>9661176
Thanks for this.
>>
File: seal2.jpg (120KB, 1600x1011px) Image search: [Google]
seal2.jpg
120KB, 1600x1011px
>>9660633
>he thinks the 7th century Islamic conquest of Iran allowed the work of pre-Islamic historiographers and other scholars to survive
SCHOLARS HAVE TO USE ARABIC SOURCES TO EVEN COMPREHEND WHAT WE'VE LOST

>Some researchers have quoted the Sho'ubiyye as asserting that the Pre-Islamic Iranians had books on eloquence, such as 'Karvand'. No trace remains of such books. There are some indications that some among the Persian elite were familiar with Greek rhetoric and literary criticism (Zarrinkoub, 1947).

AND THE ARABS TELL US THEY STARTED WITH THE GREEKS

LMFAO
>>
>>9662213
Golden Age of Islam
>>
>>9662213
B-but religion of peace!
>>
>>9662213
>tfw you will never read complete zoroastrian texts
>>
>>9662217
Had the Arabs translated the Achaemenid literature, and preserved the Greek works in the library of Persepolis, instead of systematically destroying everything, the Golden Age would have happened even sooner.

I wonder if the Ummah could have ruled the world insted of any Western country.

Two Centuries of Silence argues that 8th and 9th centuries, immediately after the conquest, were anything but a Golden Age for Iran: their language and culture went mute, and Persians tried here and there to rebel against the Arabs.

Amazon says an English translation of Two Centuries of Silence by Zarrinkoub will be out in August:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Centuries-Silence-Abdolhossein-Zarrinkoub/dp/1568592604
>>
File: 8718.jpg (53KB, 308x475px) Image search: [Google]
8718.jpg
53KB, 308x475px
>>9660633
;^)
>>
>>9662236
Hadn't Persepolis already been destroyed? I can't recall it being rebuilt after Alexander's sack
>>
>>9662236
Didn't it take three different sacks to finish off Alexandria? And wasn't Baghdad destroyed by the Mongols?
>>
>>9662213
There are plenty of surviving Pahlavi era works. It's likely that the Achaemenids didn't really write books in the way that Western areas would have.
>>
>>9662303
>It's likely that the Achaemenids didn't really write books in the way that Western areas would have

fucking RETARDS lmao
>>
>>9662303
>There are plenty of surviving Pahlavi era works
From the 9th and 10th century.

>It's likely that the Achaemenids didn't really write books in the way that Western areas would have.
Nonsense, they had religious scriptures and everything else, they was a literate high society in place. And even if we pretend you're right, between them and Islam there was a Hellenized Persia with no shortage of literature in Greek and the local languages.

I am not suprised in the slightest that Persians were able to become the scribes to the ruling Arabs pretty much instantly.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.