[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just saw this article in the guardian website. Jesus Chris

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: annoyed_alien.jpg (11KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
annoyed_alien.jpg
11KB, 251x242px
I just saw this article in the guardian website. Jesus Christ. What started off as a load of already trivial and banal ruminations over a new term, "anthropocene", took a turn for pure charlatanism.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/15/timothy-morton-anthropocene-philosopher

Even the first part, relating to "anthropocene" was bs. "Dude, humans affect the environment a lot now and that makes me feel different stuff!" Not only the content was dumb but the perceived importance of needing a label for this and who named it is just a result of academia caring about who gets the citations or who gets to write the definitive NYT best selling flavour of the week book.

But the article gets better/worse. The subject, creator of the term "anthropocene", speaks:

>“You wouldn’t believe how many philosophers are afraid of movement,” he began. He went on to discuss two strands of thought in the work of the philosopher Hegel. One problem with Hegel, Morton said, “the problem I call macro-Hegel, is that macro-Hegel makes the slinky moveupthe stairs, improbably. And at the top of the stairs, like the killer in Psycho, is waiting, drum roll, you guessed it, white western patriarchy in the guise of the Prussian state.” (I had not guessed this; should I have?) “So macro-Hegel blows it.”

> The Morton detractors with whom I spoke accused him of misunderstanding contemporary science, like quantum mechanics and set theory, and then claiming his distortions as support for his wild ideas.

I know that anti-OP edginess will cause you to proclaim this guy a genius and I could see you guys agree with me if I had stated the opposite of my opinion... but I can't bear that.
>>
>>9660593
Anthropocene is a term which has kind of been hijakced (arguably for good reasons) to try and help convince the public of the seriousness of climate change. It's not really a geological epoch, although the "anthropocene extinction" is very, very real and is set to be one of the biggest loss of species in the planets history.

The words misuse annoys me too.
>>
>>9660593
Oh wow, that's almost as egregious a reading of Hegel as the frogmen from /pol/
>>
File: soph0795.jpg (263KB, 1269x1704px) Image search: [Google]
soph0795.jpg
263KB, 1269x1704px
>>9660593
>a new term, "anthropocene",

how is your community college summer reading course going?
>>
File: nicklandroid.gif (2MB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
nicklandroid.gif
2MB, 440x440px
>His most frequently cited book, Ecology Without Nature, says we need to scrap the whole concept of “nature”. He argues that a distinctive feature of our world is the presence of ginormous things he calls “hyperobjects” – such as global warming or the internet – that we tend to think of as abstract ideas because we can’t get our heads around them, but that are nevertheless as real as hammers. He believes all beings are interdependent, and speculates that everything in the universe has a kind of consciousness, from algae and boulders to knives and forks. He asserts that human beings are cyborgs of a kind, since we are made up of all sorts of non-human components; he likes to point out that the very stuff that supposedly makes us us – our DNA – contains a significant amount of genetic material from viruses. He says that we’re already ruled by a primitive artificial intelligence: industrial capitalism. At the same time, he believes that there are some “weird experiential chemicals” in consumerism that will help humanity prevent a full-blown ecological crisis.
I'll be taking this with me.
>>
>>9660593

But when I tell you he's inheriting Object Oriented Ontology, which is not only anti-Marxist but which takes the most ethno-nationalist parts of Heidegger and abstracts them into a whole worldview, I bet your frogposting dumb ass will find something to like in the article.
>>
>>9660593
>Anthropocene
>new

OP...

Shit article though, fair shake on that m8. Not sure why you thought it was worth posting because it seems the only possible results are getting mad at the article/subject/you as opposed to any discussion.
>>
>>9660754
Tricky nicky got another one
>>
File: antenna derp.jpg (27KB, 449x586px) Image search: [Google]
antenna derp.jpg
27KB, 449x586px
>>9660754
>He …speculates that everything in the universe has a kind of consciousness, from algae and boulders to knives and forks.
>he believes that there are some “weird experiential chemicals” in consumerism that will help humanity prevent a full-blown ecological crisis.

jesus fucking christ
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.