[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The third man argument (commonly referred to as TMA; Greek:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 23784692386498.jpg (79KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
23784692386498.jpg
79KB, 1920x1080px
>The third man argument (commonly referred to as TMA; Greek: τρίτος ἄνθρωπος), first offered by Plato in his dialogue Parmenides (132a–b), is a philosophical criticism of Plato's own theory of Forms. This argument was furthered by Aristotle (Metaphysics 990b17=1079a13, 1039a2; Sophistic Refutations 178b36 ff.) who used the example of a man (hence the name of the argument) to explain this objection to Plato's theory; he posits that if a man is a man because he partakes in the form of man, then a third form would be required to explain how man and the form of man are both man, and so on, ad infinitum.

who gives a fuck if they go on to infinity?
>>
>>9660244
Infinite regresses are problematic not because they are infinite, but because they do not provide a primitive explanation as to where, in this case, "man" comes from
>>
Not a third form but an ultimate form.
>>
>>9660244
>who gives a fuck if they go on to infinity?
>he thinks he's everybody
this is why you have no room left for forms of your gf, in any dimension
>>
>>9660244
am i stupid for not knowing why a man and the form of man are both man? the form of man isn't a man, it's a form right
>>
File: 4noGZls.jpg (70KB, 393x325px) Image search: [Google]
4noGZls.jpg
70KB, 393x325px
I don't get it.
>>
>>9660244
It may be because I'm tired, but why does man need a third entity to explain how he takes the form of man, can't he recognize himself as man, just by either recognizing himself that he takes the physical form of man, or by recognizing that he is able to recognize the form (idea, Idk) of something, and therefore is man?
>>
>>9660244

There's this comic that explains all of philosophy and it goes
>"if X is true then I will be sad, therefore X is not true"
>>
>>9663179
Fuck okay now I get it, it's actually very simple. Shame on me for not getting this the moment I read it.
>>
>>9663179
In this case "man" is being treated as an object, the same way as a table or something is one. And thus incapable of recognizing itself.
>>
Does the world of forms really contain composite forms? I thought plato's position was that there exists no form of man, but there do exist various components of manliness.
>>
>>9664132
Pls respond
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.