[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to finish writing my first ever book. It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I'm about to finish writing my first ever book. It's a somewhat tongue in cheek non-fiction history/psychology/economics book.

However, I'd like to self-publish. I mainly wrote this for fun and I want readers before anything else. So I'm fully willing to absorb the costs, even if it doesn't lead to anything in the end. How does one go about self-publishing on Amazon though? Or does anyone have any wisdom they care to share regarding publishing?
>>
>>9657250
Post a sample. I'm interested.
>>
>>9657250
I honestly still need to edit it at least once before I'm confident enough to share it on 4chan (excluding the revision by an independent editor). What I'm about to finish is the first draft, so it's still quite rough around the edges.

I'm more or less just daydreaming here, as it's at least 6 months before it's ready to ship. So I'm sorry to disappoint in that regard.
>>
>>9657332
Sorry, for some reason I quoted the OP instead of your post>

>9657360
>>
I have self-published. Don't bother. There is nothing for you there but disappointment unless you write shlocky erotica or already have an audience to buy your book/s. By the sounds of it, your book is unfathomably better off being traditionally published. Self-publishing means hiring a cover artist for ebook/physical, hiring a formatter to align your manuscript, unless you do it yourself. Most likely, you are not artistically talented enough to do so and/or lack the proper software to do said tasks. That aside, self-publishing demands incessant marketing - that means running social media, begging your friends to follow you and buy a copy, and by the end of it you undoubtedly will have never got any momentum, be jaded by the poor response, and feel as if your time and or money is wasted. Turn back; query an agent instead once you have written the book.
>>
>>9658751
I'm not op, but is it always a better strategy to go through an agent and not directly to publishers yourself?
>>
>>9658816
I would say so. Spamming manuscripts to publishers won't get you far but it is a case-by-case basis. It is more reliable to have an agent, partially because you can heavily research the history and tastes of potential agents to query before applying, but mostly because once you have an agent it is easier to secure more publishing deals/book deals. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have a friend who has gained 50k+ sales this way but I myself have not got an agent. Yet.
>>
>>9658847
Interesting, you sound like you have a lot more experience than the average shitposter. Do lit agents tend to take a percentage of sales or will I have to pay them whether I end up getting published or not?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.