[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You guys probably get these threads a lot, but I'm merely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: baby.gif (315KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
baby.gif
315KB, 220x220px
You guys probably get these threads a lot, but I'm merely an embryo, so don't be too harsh.

I've heard to start with the Greeks, but I've never heard the reasons WHY to start with the Greeks. I'm not saying there isn't any reason, or I'm against doing it, I'm just curious about the benefits of reading them and why it's such an essential thing to do. What's so important about them? Enlighten me..

As a side note, which "starting with the Greeks" reading list do you recommend? Me personally, I have a lot of other things I'd like to read so if there's a sort of abridged or barebones list that'd be great.
>>
>>9655995
Why are you entitled to an explanation? How about you make an educated guess or two as to why that's the standard advice and we'll go from there
>>
File: The Greek Way - Hamilton.jpg (42KB, 307x475px) Image search: [Google]
The Greek Way - Hamilton.jpg
42KB, 307x475px
Their a very interesting culture and are the foundation of of western culture, so help you understand a lot of other works that come later.

Pare it down to either Edith Hamilton, to get a nice preview or just skip to Homer's two (start with Fagles)

The philosophy majors will get you into all them, but Epicurus is the most sensible.
>>
>>9656027
>The philosophy majors will get you into all them, but Epicurus is the most sensible
How did I make it so long without filtering your shit posts
>>
File: Parthenon_von_SW.jpg (615KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
Parthenon_von_SW.jpg
615KB, 1000x666px
>>9656027
>their
They're
I'm much too rushed.
>>
>>9656015
I don't think I'm entitled to one, I just think there has to be at least a few people around here who like to help embryos. You don't have to help me if you don't want.

As to what my guess would be..
>Foundation for the subject of philosophy
>First big moral thinkers
>Referenced often in other books
>>
File: Herodotus.jpg (114KB, 725x725px) Image search: [Google]
Herodotus.jpg
114KB, 725x725px
>>9656029
Muh Plato?

I'm not saying they're not interesting, I just don't know what OP want to get into.
So many of these "where do I start with the Greeks" posts are gang raped with philosophy majors who assume he can only mean the philosophers.
>>
>>9656027
You recommend that over Edith's Mythology?
>>
>>9656070
Don't read Edith. Read Wikipedia or Ovid.
>>
>>9656027
why do you even post here when clearly you don't actually read much
>>
>>9656090
Why's that?
>>
>>9656070
>>9656122
I read Graves Mythology. What's wrong with the Greek Way? As an overview of everything it was pretty good.
I read what I can, contrarian jerk.
>>
>>9655995

You don't need an in-depth knowledge of Greek texts to enjoy literature, unlike what the autists here might tell you. It's handy to know some thoigh, because so much literature and philosophy from the Romans through the middle ages and into modernity base themselves on the Greek tradition and it's motifs. It's probably just as important to have a good knowledge of the Bible with this mindset, as it has likewise a central place in the Western canon .
>>
>>9656293
> It's probably just as important to have a good knowledge of the Bible with this mindset
No shit. You need to read the Greeks and the Bible.
>>
I read most of the bible, and I regret it. It does fill you into cultural background and helps you understand the various schisms it's suffered. it makes no coherent sense. Though the Greeks are a muddled mess of Olympian gods on top of older gods their fans/writers at least make no pretenses to absolute truth.
>>
I just finished listening to this. It was really interesting as it gave historical context to greek myth and the different types of analysis people read into them. It didn't really cover things in a broad scope as far as all the myths go, but I think it was more to cultivate an interest in the subject. So I want to start with the greeks now, but I think the copy of the Iliad/odyssey I got is a dumb prose version to retards like me. So /lit/ will say I didn't read the real thing even if I start with that.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.