[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>capitalism >society >economy >civilization >culture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: 1493010264109.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1493010264109.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
>capitalism
>society
>economy
>civilization
>culture

help /lit/, I'm trying to escape my pleb being by reading books with some sort of merit but I encount spooks like the above which don't make sense to me.

What works are necessary to read in order to understand the zeitgeist of the 21st century? In order to understand this clusterfuck that we call "humanity"
>>
File: artleo-com-45540.jpg (647KB, 1620x911px) Image search: [Google]
artleo-com-45540.jpg
647KB, 1620x911px
You've got your work cut out for you. Here's a useful post:

>read MARX. capital is very concisely and repeatedly described as following circuits. then read ADORNO to get a sense for how political economy inscribed itself into thought, and especially philosophical thought. finally read FREUD to understand how he situates the unconscious, NIETZSCHE to break any last romances you have with metaphysics, and then you can read DELEUZE AND GUATTARI to put it all together in the machinic wonderland continental theory was always heading for. after that LAND is almost legible; you should know about SPECULATIVE REALISM as well.

Heidegger should be in there as well somewhere along the way. And Foucault. And Baudrillard. And -

/lit/ isn't entirely wrong though when they say Start With the Greeks. Stoics, Plato, Aristotle. It takes a while to catch up with the 21st.

Fun tour, there. For starting out, Tarnas' Passion of the Western Mind and Barzun's From Dawn to Decadence are worthwhile reads.

I've surely made this sound harder rather than easier but I basically have devoted myself to wasting my life on this stuff. The books are great, you will become old and crusty, you will have nightmares, you will have a wonderful time, om shantih shantih.

t. clusterfucked humanoid
>>
>>9655645
Thank you for the recs and the advice.

Will Land make sense when I finally get to him? I looked through meltdown and I like the cyberpunk aesthetic but it made 0 sense to me.

Also isn't Freud controversial/wrong in most ways?
>>
>>9655629
You can only escape being a pleb when you realize continental philosophy is almost worthless and start diving into analytic metaphysics.
>>
File: 13658.jpg (90KB, 1920x818px) Image search: [Google]
13658.jpg
90KB, 1920x818px
>>9655750
>Thank you for the recs and the advice.
No worries, welcome aboard the calamitously sinking ship.

>Will Land make sense when I finally get to him? I looked through meltdown and I like the cyberpunk aesthetic but it made 0 sense to me.
Don't start with Meltdown. That's for later. Land makes sense after Kant, Marx and Deleuze. It's all about time.

Most lucid explanation here: http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/4520/1/WRAP_THESIS_Greenspan_2000.pdf

The tl;dr: Kant inaugurates capitalist time, Marx theorizes that Kant himself was historically produced, Deleuze and Guattari resolve this disjunction by positing two modalities of time, Land thinks this through to the event horizon of technology and AI. Just go slowly.

>Also isn't Freud controversial/wrong in most ways?
Not according to Lacan or Zizek. Both of whom you should also read and digest. And even D&G have to start from him if only to explain how he's wrong. Which is how it always goes with philosophy.

Greatest story ever told, this stuff. Greatest story ever told.

>>9655762
This anon is not entirely wrong. Some Wittgenstein and analytic stuff too would be a good idea. The *true* definition of a pleb, however, is the one who takes *either* side of the continental-analytic split and memes accordingly.
>>
everything after Aquinas is worthless
>>
>>9655800
Possibly. But unless you read the later stuff it may be hard to know why that is.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.