[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

about to read pic related, it's pretty short so i decided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

File: postmoderncond.jpg (8KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
postmoderncond.jpg
8KB, 200x300px
about to read pic related, it's pretty short so i decided to give it a go. am i getting memed?
>>
>>9653912
The notes are interesting, I guess. The text is very unsure of itself however. Useless. Perfect title, though. For its time.
>>
>>9653912
Although most people think of this book as being Lyotard's magnum opus, he himself actually thought it was his worst book and tried to compensate with writing a bunch of novels. He admitted to having less than adequate knowledge of the sciences and even admitted to pretending to having read books he never read. Literally, a pseud like everyone in this board.

But imma cut Lyotard some slack: first, read the book like, as the title itself says, as a report on what Lyotard was observing in his time – the decay of the big grand leftist projects, the rise of internet, the advent of neoliberal globalism, etc. You'll find some prescient observations and predictions on how philosophy was shifting in his time, namely that of language games (think Wittgenstein) along with technology will color our "reality" and whoever controls the language games and the technology mediating these games, will control society.

There's then some side stuff about the commodification of education, scientific knowledge vs narrative knowledge, nature as continuously destabilizing vs nature as static.

I'd say the best value of the book is in it being able to share the main core attitudes of "postmodernism" with brevity. Still worth looking into despite the author's reservations.

This site has a good summary of the book's thought if you care: https://emergentbydesign.com/2012/01/29/reflection-the-postmodern-condition-a-report-on-knowledge/
>>
>>9653912

I always say:

If the book is short,
If the book has some historical curiosity, interest or fame to it,
and If you want to read the book,

Then you should read the book. Because even if in fact the book is trash, you will still have your own informed opinion on same for the next time it comes up in conversation, and at a minimum of time invested.

I read it once. I think Barnes and Nobles keep it regularly stacked mostly for meme value. Seriously walk into a B&N philosophy section any time and you can usually find a copy.

I now vaguely remember that the closing language either in the text proper or in another section was very over-wrought and obscurantist. something about "let us save the honor of the name" or some such pablum.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.