[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi c/lit/s, I was wondering if you could help me find philosophical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: foucault08.jpg (61KB, 349x470px) Image search: [Google]
foucault08.jpg
61KB, 349x470px
Hi c/lit/s,

I was wondering if you could help me find philosophical studies on cemeteries and our need of burying the dead. Just read Foucault's thoughts on heterotopia and it was really eye opening.
>>
Girard's got some interesting stuff to say about the meaning of the tomb.
>>
Bataille's Eroticism builds a theory of erotism and taboo starting with the taboo of the dead body and the need to keep it out of sight. It's tangentially related, but pretty good on its own.
>>
>>9653549

Hegel pretty much says the exact same thing
>>
>>9653587

All continental theory is elaboration of Hegel.
>>
>>9653659

is elaboration a nice way of saying plagiarism?
>>
>>9653664

No, dipshit.
>>
File: chugh.jpg (80KB, 1400x700px) Image search: [Google]
chugh.jpg
80KB, 1400x700px
Why "philosophical studies" and not historical studies? Are you afraid of material ideas and must retreat into imagination?
>>
>>9653670

stop perpetuating the reified disciplinarity of post-industrial intellectual life.

op is also guilty of it, though
>>
Look into antropology.

I remember that one of the differeing characteristics between pre human ancestors and other apes of the time is that they started burying their dead.

It seems that civilization emerged not too shortly after.
>>
>>9653587
>tfw you want to read so bad but you didnt start with the greeks
>>
>>9653659
>>9653664
>>9653666

lmao fucking bodied
>>
>>9653579
I'm being pedantic, but the title is just "Erotism." But I agree, it is great.

Also, Vico's "The New Science" has some stuff to say about it. Might not be the best place, but it's something.
>>
>>9653672

"reified disciplinarity of post-industrial intellectual life" christ what a pretentious sentence. are you trying to say we should take academics equally seriously even outside of their field of study? if so, thats what we call dilettantism.
>>
>>9653677

nobody who isnt a fucking /lit/ memer started with the greeks. most people come to the greeks out of their own curiosity.
>>
>>9653579
OP here, Erotism is one of my favorite books and you reminded me to check it out again. Thank you!

>>9653549
I have heard a lot about Girard. This quote comes from which lecture/book?

>>9653587
I have only read Hegel's works on aesthetics, but I will try and look for his take on the subject. Any book suggestions?

>>9653670
>>9653675
I'd love to know the name of historians and anthropologists who can help me with this.
>>
>>9653839
Things Hidden Since the Foundation of the World.

Violence and the Sacred and The Scapegoat will have more of what you're looking for also.
>>
>>9653847

Thank you.
>>
I haven't read any fiction in a long time and was recommended Six Wakes, any thoughts on it?
>>
>>9653687

an analysis of the tomb stone pursued by a philosopher would have very different conclusions than that of a historian.

but if philosophy is too "soft" for you, then we can say that a historian and a sociologist would also come to very different analyses.

all of these analyses can make equal claims to truth, even and especially where they enter into contradiction with each other.

intellectual disciplinarity is so reified, however, so trusted as a self-coherent thing, that to those inside the disciplines, it appears that one has the answers and other doesn't, and to those outside, it appears as senseless pluralism. thus on the one hand disciplinarity is perpetuated (academia), and on the other hand, expert knowledge is undermined (the accusation of pretentiousness, the ivory tower, anti-intellectualism generally).

all of which is to say that the different claims about the tombstone that these disciplines would make, while impossible to reconcile in terms of any local "synthesis" of our concept of the object, could be understood in a totalized context as the embodiment of a number of objective, social contradictions, of which atomization of the disciplines, and the retreat of academics from public life, are examples.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.