[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid question: is it viable to buy a book in its original language,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: guistav-dore-heaven.jpg (492KB, 2284x2470px) Image search: [Google]
guistav-dore-heaven.jpg
492KB, 2284x2470px
Stupid question: is it viable to buy a book in its original language, and try to read it by comparing it to an english pdf and google translate?

I am looking to buy Dante's Divine Comedy with Gustave Dore's illustrations (mainly for illustrations), and i was wondering if i could learn italian as well.
>>
Uhhh not really.
Here's what you'll be doing

>wow I don't understand any of this shit
>goes to English version
>oh so that's what it means
>>
no. just buy the everyman's edition with mandelbaum's translation
>>
>>9652744
TSE did exactly this sans the aid of telecom. Same book, same idea.
>>
File: 1491596198711.png (360KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
1491596198711.png
360KB, 500x322px
Usually I'd say it's only worth a try if you already have some fluency with that particular language

In this specific case forget it and read it in english, it wouldn't work even if you knew some Italian. I can assure you not even us italians can get a proper grasp on some of the Divine Comedy's parts (Paradise above all) and need the aid of paraphrase to understand what the fuck he's even trying to convey. Add the usage of very strange terms to some sentences being worded in ridiculous and extremely contrived ways with cryptic metaphors spanning >10 lines and consider that usually he either words a simple concept in a way that make it sound difficult or that he words a very difficult concept in such a way barely anyone can make it out without referring to some external analysis. If you don't want to lose your mind over it stick with the translation
>>
Study linguistics. I study Greek and Latin roots whenever I'm studying the original language of something. I study the etymology of key words as well, usually adjectives & verbs. I teach English Composition so studying other languages helps me conceptualize writing (and speaking) more concretely.
>>
>>9653091
that pic is so great
>>
Another note: English translations sometimes substitute words that weren't actually in use in the original context. You also want to cross reference words to ensure your translation is consistent with the primary text.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.