[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I absolutely loved this. Are there any other philosophical books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: Boethius.jpg (167KB, 896x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Boethius.jpg
167KB, 896x1200px
I absolutely loved this.
Are there any other philosophical books as comfy as Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy?
Is there a chart for medieval scholasticism?
Medieval Lit in general?
Who is the comfiest philosopher?
>>
>>9652236

Plato's very comfy and if you can follow a conversation you can understand him. He also translates well.
>>
Nice toe thumb
>>
>>9652236
we don't cotton to whites around here buddyboy
>>
>>9652236

>I absolutely loved this

Sorry about your shit taste, anon.
>>
>>9652236
Epictetus' Dialogues
>>
>>9652236
Ignatius? That you?
>>
File: IMG_0470.jpg (322KB, 968x1296px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0470.jpg
322KB, 968x1296px
>>9652236
Pic related.

Our Medeival homies didn't had access to the original writings of Plato and the Neoplatonists, the main exceptions being a part of the Timaeus (with the commentary of Calcidius), The Theology of Aristotle (paraphrase of Enneads IV-VI by Plotinus) and Liber de Causis (paraphrase of Elements of Theology by Proclus).

Besides these, the main sources were The Commentary on the Dream of Scipio by Macrobious, The Marriage of Philology and Mercury by Martianus Capella and Boethius himself of course. Pseudo-Denys is arguably the most Platonic of the Christians, though far from the only one.

Bernadus Silvestris incorporated all of these sources - amongst others - in a beautiful, concise and cryptic poem. Boethius' work on Arithmetic is a paraphrase of Nicomachus of Geresa, but tremendously influental on the Latin tradition of the Seven Liberal Arts. These two works will give you a nice foundation to work with.

Also, the Consoltation of Philosophy is generally agreed to be within the genre of Mennipean Satire - though it isn't within the Medeival period, two other favorites of mine from this genre is the Golden Ass of Apuleius and The Praise of Folly by Erasmus.

Though he is rarely read as a philosopher, Dante is another excellent source of Platonic poetry.
>>
>>9652549
Do you have anything else that is more in the vein of theology + neoplatonism? I know of Plontius, but there are probably more writers of that era.
>>
File: IMG_2080.jpg (56KB, 321x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2080.jpg
56KB, 321x499px
>>9652236
Have you checked out Aquinas yet?
If not it's really worth reading a selection of his summa theologica
>>
>>9652682
St. Augustine
>>
File: IMG_0473.jpg (419KB, 968x1296px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0473.jpg
419KB, 968x1296px
>>9652682
Plotinus is excellent and is one of the major pillars of the Platonic tradition. He and his pupil Porphyry - who organized the scribbled notes of his teacher in what we know today as the Enneads - advocated a contemplative path to the One.
Plotinus was considered by 19th century academia as being too much about that mystical juju, hence the term Neoplatonism was coined to divorce him from the "clean cut rationality" of Plato. Not only was Plotinus praised highly by Augustine, but he also had the same teacher as Origen, which is partly why he is considered so prominent among the Platonists.

However, it was Porphyry's pupil Iamblichus who had the biggest impact on Late Antiquity Platonism. Iamblichus organized the Platonic cirriculum which was followed by all Platonists afterwards, advocating a complete concord between Aristotle and Plato, drawing heavily on Pythagorean lore and most importantly introducing the theological ritual praxis of Theurgy, which had it's roots in the Chaldean Oracles.

Proclus is the third major pillar, who further developed the Theurgic tradition of Iamblichus in an intricate fashion; it is also in his writings that we find the largest ammount of fragments of the Oracles. As a sidenote, the Christian author Pseudo-Dionysius copied heavily from Proclus; Aquinas in turn quoted Pseudo-Dionysius the most.

Your reading should preferably be Plato > Plotinus > Iamblichus > Proclus.

As for Theology + Neoplatonism in particular, pic related is an excellent introduction to Iamblichean Platonism. Don't bother with secondhand sources too much; they're far too biased and reductionist.
>>
>>9652682
I have a really weird middle platonist text called the "Handbook of Platonism" by someone named Alcinous. It's pretty cool.
>>
>>9653013
>>9652549

Thank you for the detailed summaries and recommendations. Do you know of an indepth Neoplatonist reading list somewhere?
>>
>>9652236
It isn't so comfy once you remember after finishing it he was strangulated until his eyes came out of their sockets and then they cracked his skull.
>>
Even though people using it typically jump from Aristotle straight to Descartes, this guide also contains plenty of neoplatonism and medieval philosophy:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1
>>
>>9652474
I came here to see this post
>>
File: 1350447531476.png (333KB, 579x527px) Image search: [Google]
1350447531476.png
333KB, 579x527px
>ITT: people actually reading philosophy in English
>>
>>9654395
>statue of the Gracchi brothers
>literal plebians
>being made to call others plebians
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.