[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any anons here who prefer writing in english instead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: nabokov.jpg (46KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
nabokov.jpg
46KB, 800x450px
Are there any anons here who prefer writing in english instead of their native language? If so, what is your primary source of english vocabulary? How do you memorise idioms, contextual figures of speech etc?
>>
I'm an amateur writer, and yeah, I prefer english, with my native language being portuguese

>How do you memorise idioms, contextual figures of speech etc?

The internet
>>
>>9651378
native language chinese
i keep a pretty well detailed book of vocab (some quite laughable, some esoteric)
i have a vocab count of about 30k so it ain't too bad
>>
My native language is German and I fucking hate it. I'd never write in it, I almost never read in it (excluding e.g. Nietzsche and Kafka which simply can't be translated, but that's once in a blue moon, I almost exclusively read Americans). I avoid German like the plague. I've been a total americaboo all my life and everything I do revolves around that. I feel as if English is my native language desu.
I just read a lot is all. I do keep a notebook for idioms and vocabulary, but I barely ever see anything new these days and I don't use it a lot. (And you can totally make idioms up as you go and no one will be the wiser, that's what's so great about English.) The most important thing is to read works by native speakers, and, well, it helps to read very consciously/actively, but you really just need to read (and write) a lot and your vocabulary will grow naturally. There's no big secret to getting better at a language. Just use it.
>>
Its only because english is your second language so its sounds "good" and "exotic" to your ears. Stop being fucking cuck
>>
File: serveimage (13).jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (13).jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>9651726
>nationalism
>language nationalism at that

>>>/pol/
>>
File: Griboyedov_my_man.jpg (327KB, 750x1019px) Image search: [Google]
Griboyedov_my_man.jpg
327KB, 750x1019px
I'm not a writer per se, but I frequently work with both my native (Russian) and English languages, so this is interesting to me too.

Main appeal of Eng is popularity, broader audience. It's easier to find and cater to specific people with particular tastes.
For me, personally, topics I want to discuss and write on will probably never find any resonance in rus speaking community. Basically, practical reasons.

But when it comes to phonetic and "feeling" qualities, I vastly prefer Russian. Way more flexible, nuanced, intriguing, powerful.
Probably I feel like that, because it's my native. Yet 7/8 of information, audio and written, I consumed and half of what I produced for the past 7 years is in English.

Sources, decreasing order
Internet, music, books, movies.
I used to be more focused on listening at first, but can think in and feel English well enough now, so written word seems to be a better way to improve.

I use everything I find interesting in my speech, even when having conversations in Russian. Treat words like a meme, reference, joke, whatever. That does make me look retarded/snobbish, but it mostly gets written off as a quirk.
>>
>>9651378
English is my native language but I prefer writing in French.
>>
>>9651738
>Stirner

>>>/reddit/
Edgelord
>>
I'm Norwegian, and I find my language so quaint. Even the authors that I have read in Norwegian that could be considered good have a very minimalist style.

I do wonder if my language even can do higher order prose styles.
>>
>>9651934
edge is a spook, faggot
>>
>>9651693
I was just like you in my early 20s then my German proficiency deteriorated to the point where I sounded like a pleb normie in German so I pulled a 180. Also new expressions came and I forgot the ones I thought were ingrained in my memory until the end of time.

Could have had to do with my general depression at the time but be warned.
>>
>>9651738
I'm sure you won't feel spooked when a diverse agent of peace start stretching your ass
>>
Not a writer but I find myself more comfortable with English than Spanish, my native language.

The thing about English, as far as I've able to observe in myself, is that most of the media I consume is in that language, because of that it's a lot easier to attach the idea of an object to a word, object, situation, emotion, etc.

The way words stic with you is if you have an idea of what that word means, where to put it on a sentence appropriately and how to use it in regular conversation, words are like any other thing you learn, you stop using it and you start forgetting it.

As far as cultural idioms and other modifications to the standard usage of the language goes, you end up getting familiar with a lot of them by absorbing media since the context is in the narrative of the media and that lets you understand it a lot better. It also helps that I've worked as an interpreter in a call center and as a document translator. I've ended up speaking more english than spanish these past few years.
>>
>>9652020
Also english is awesome in it's simplicity. Spanish has several ways to address someone depending on the degree of formality thhe conversation has (Usted, vos, tu, vosotros, etc.), In english everyone is "you", makes conversations a lot easier, specially when speaking to someone in authority or when you're not sure which level of formality to use for a conversation. English is great in giving a feeling like you're on equal footing as everyone else you talk to until you learn more about them.
>>
>>9651738
That's not what I got from the post whatsoever. Anon presented a commonsensical reason why foreigners tend to judge their English kinder than their native language. It's a phenomenon I've witnessed repeatedly in myself and others.

Take for example the posts by our little enthusiasts ITT, depending on your standards and goals they are either written in perfectly adequate English or dogpiss borderline Indian callcenter English judging by normie/literati standards respectively.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.