[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, /lit/. I've just finished reading 'Mythology'.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: thetrojanwar.jpg (77KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
thetrojanwar.jpg
77KB, 331x500px
Hello, /lit/. I've just finished reading 'Mythology'. Will reading pic related enrich, improve etc. the reading experience of my first time with The Iliad?
>>
>>9650997
Depends. Have you read A Brief History of Ancient Greece: Politics, Society, and Culture, with Stanley M. Burstein, Walter Donlan and Jennifer Tolbert Roberts
>>
I actually read that recently

It's not very long and somewhat interesting, so why wouldn't you
But you should subsidize with some other material on Bronze Age Greece, in parts it sort of feels like Berry really wants to believe Homer knew what he was talking about

For example I saw some talks by Donald Kegan on YouTube where he points out that Homer was aware of the existence of chariots, but had no fucking clue how they would be used in battle and instead has everyone in the Iliad use them like taxi cabs
Berry on the other hand is of the opinion that the ground around Troy was too marshy for chariot charges and that they would in fact be used like taxi cabs
There was another thing like that I can't remember

He has short comments here and there where he compares events in the Iliad to historical events of the Bronze Age to show that such and such a thing may very well have occurred and whatnot and that's pretty good

I also got kind of annoyed with the book towards the end for some reason but I can't recall why
>>
Okay, I will read it.

The end [of this thread].
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.