[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who are the most important thinkers of the last century? Where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: derrida-300x229.jpg (13KB, 300x229px) Image search: [Google]
derrida-300x229.jpg
13KB, 300x229px
Who are the most important thinkers of the last century? Where should one start with contemporary philosophy?
>>
Isaiah Berlin
Charles Taylor
Michel Foucault
Jacques Derrida

In that order
>>
>>9648549
unironically Georges Bataille
>>
>>9648549
The greeks
Not even memeing
>>
>>9648549
Ludwig Wittgenstein,
Ludwig Josef Wittgenstein and
Ludwig Josef Johann Wittgenstein.
>>
>>9648575
Everyone on this list except for Berlin is either irrelevant or a blistering fucking moron.
>>
the orthodox answers are:

Frege
Husserl
Moore
Russell
Wittgenstein
Heidegger
Sartre
Quine
Foucault
Derrida
Deleuze
Kripke
Rawls
Lewis
>>
>>9648673
>no camus
>>
>>9648676
That's right, no camus.
>>
>>9648549
Wittgenstein, Adorno, Heidegger and Arendt.
>>
>>9648676
>Thinking camus is a philosopher
You should read the response that sartre gave to some text Camus published in response to one of Sartre's friends. Rekt so hard that Camus had to kill himself a couple days after that
>>
>>9648690
Kill himself in a car accident, i mean
>>
>>9648549

Adorno, Zizek, Jameson. the rest is early-neoliberal dreck
>>
>>9648690
Post it and maybe you'll change my mind that Camus is the better version of Satre.
>>
Max Weber
>>
>>9648717
>This book contains the first English translation of the five texts constituting this famous philosophical quarrel. Personally animated, passionately argued, polemically focused, this confrontation was as much a personal encounter as it was a theoretical debate. Alternating between stylistic brilliance and stinging sarcasm, each draws upon their years of past involvement as former friends both to make their criticisms more pointed and their theoretical critique more challenging. At the same time, their views serve as lightning rods for the wider cultural forces of which they are partial expressions.

https://www.amazon.com/Sartre-Camus-Historic-Confrontation-Jean-Paul/dp/159102157X#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1497725591887

I have it in spanish but couldnt find it in english
>>
>>9648549
These idiots are just regurgitating what their emasculated professors have put into their atrophied brains.

The greatest political mind of the century was Hitler, the greatest philosopher and jurist was Schmitt, the greatest esotericist was Evola, the greatest novelist Junger, and greatest magician Kenneth Grant.
>>
>>9648717
>>9648752
>https://aeon.co/ideas/how-camus-and-sartre-split-up-over-the-question-of-how-to-be-free
If you want a shorter overview, lacking in detail but getting at the broad philosophical and moral differences of the fallout between Sartre and Camus, this summarizes it nicely. The video animation isn't bad either.
>>
>>9648764
Hello /pol/, welcome to /lit/. We have frequent serious discussions about philosophy and literature here and you will find many fans of characters like Evola, including myself. That being said, we aren't /pol/tards who scream singleminded opinions without understanding it. Go ahead and do some research on protectionism and Distributionism.
>>
most important:
Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Karl Marx
Jean Piaget
Carl Jung
Varg Vikernes
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Karl Popper

least important:
Slavoj Žižek
Jacques Derrida
Adolf Hitler
>>
Martin "The Marburg Madman" Heidegger

literally anyone who disagrees with me is ignorant
>>
>>9648673
Remove the Anglos and the French and the list is correct.
>>
Slavoj Zizek
Jordan Peterson
Joe Rogan
>>
Start with Carnap end with Quine
>>
>>9648549

The Philosophers who avoided the analytic/continental divide:

A.N. Whitehead, Ernst Cassirer,

Also:

Henri Bergson, Gilles Deleuze, Edmund Husserl

Overrated:

Foucault, Heidegger, Sartre, Russell

Derrida is for technicians and academics only, imo. Not fun to mess with.
>>
>>9650209
3/10
>>
>>9650209
>Marx
>not important in every single humanities field even if you disagree with him

9/10 made me reply
>>
>>9650239
Equating importance with your opinion.

:^)

The mark of a Petersontard.
>>
Whether you care for his work or not, Derrida's notion of the Trace found in Of Grammatology was a breakthrough in modern thought that nearly every philosopher during and following utilized. You cannot argue the utility of the Trace without supporting self indulgent anti-intellectual forms of academic laziness.
>>
File: 1470113050801.jpg (32KB, 467x350px) Image search: [Google]
1470113050801.jpg
32KB, 467x350px
>It's another everyone hates Sartre episode
>>
>>9650286

but derrida doesnt argue that, and you're illiterate
>>
>>9650318
derrida sucks whenever i see him mentioned i just think "derridont" lmao
>>
>>9650303
why does everyone hate sartre? i practically forget he exists sometimes browsing this board
>>
>>9650108
lol

Anyway, the real answer is: Frege. (Since he was forgotten for 40 years I'm going to count him as within the last century.)
>>
>>9650266
This false-flagging Jew again.
>>
>>9650286
Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps life isn't a grand Jewish conspiracy and such a scapegoat is just your own "evolutionary tactic" to cope with your powerlessness?
>>
>>9648549
sellars
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.