[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any anthologies or collections of key Buddhist texts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: bodhitree.png (1MB, 1145x1075px) Image search: [Google]
bodhitree.png
1MB, 1145x1075px
Are there any anthologies or collections of key Buddhist texts (preferably from the Pali Canon) comparable to the bible?

I'm slowly making my way through the New Oxford Annotated Bible - and I'm really enjoying it - so I'd love to read a similar thing for Buddhism. i.e. historical context for each text, multiple translations, sweet leather binding, etc, etc.
>>
File: ew104094.jpg (80KB, 655x955px) Image search: [Google]
ew104094.jpg
80KB, 655x955px
>>9647715
Thanks anon but I'm guessing the answer is 'no'.

Oh well. If anyone is interested in the history of Buddhism I'd recommend reading Richard Gombrich's "Theravaada Buddhism : A Social History from Ancient Benares to Modern Colombo", and Hajime Nakamura's "Ways of Thinking of Eastern Peoples".

Also Nakamura wrote a highly esteemed 2 volume biography of Buddha titled "Gotama Buddha: A Biography Based on the Most Reliable Texts" but I can't find it anywhere.
>>
The closest thing would be the Pali Canon, huge and it not translated fully, so you would have to learn Pali to read it all.

There are also many different Buddhist traditions, with their own texts, commentaries on those texts and so on.
>>
Selections from the Pali Canon:
Basic Teachings of the Buddha (Glenn Wallis)
Sayings of the Buddha (Rupert Gethin)
Early Buddhist Discourses (John H. Holder)
In the Buddha's Words (Bhikkhu Bodhi) + his other anthologies

Other traditions:
Buddhist Scriptures (Donald S. Lopez)
Buddhist Scriptures (Edward Conze)
>>
>>9646784

I believe the "Dhammapada" is the standard go-to recommendation, and that particular title should clarify your searches and further inquiries.

This is a translation that I would try:
>https://www.amazon.com/Dhammapada-Translation-Buddhist-Classic-Annotations/dp/1590303806

This edition is annotated, but unlike your edition of the Bible, it was published by a company that specializes in various Eastern religions, self-help, and Tibetan linguistics, not academic literature:
>http://www.shambhala.com/

Also, please be advised that my recommendation is based on the trust I would place in the translator, Gil Fronsdal.

He is heavily involved with two separate podcast projects, Zencast and Dharma Seed, and he has proven himself (to my satisfaction, anyways) to be sensitive both to being effective in Buddhism as a practice and to philosophically interesting distinctions, such as that between phenomenal states like experience versus mental states involving cognition.

This is not something I would say about most of the other practicing monks running around out there.

Listen for yourself, if you like, the links below are readings straight from his translation of the Dhammapada.
>http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/dhammapada/
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.