[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could any native speakers help me out, please? I'm try

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Exclamation_Point_Emoticon.png (17KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
Exclamation_Point_Emoticon.png
17KB, 720x720px
Could any native speakers help me out, please?

I'm trying to translate The Song of The Mad Minstrel by Robert Howard. I'm doing fine except for one line. Could you please explain me what does it exactly mean?:

Laughing man's labor to scorn, weaving a web for his feet.

whole paragraph for context:

I am the rust on the corn, I am the smut on the wheat,
Laughing man's labor to scorn, weaving a web for his feet.
I am canker and mildew and blight, danger and death and decay;
The rot of the rain by night, the blast of the sun by day.

whole text for even more context:
http://eldar.cz/myf/pub/adom/mad_minstrels_confessison.html
>>
ESL here, how don't you understand the line? It seems pretty obvious to me. The minstrel (ie, the narrator) is destructive and nihilistic, so he laughs at the people who work, he is scornful towards their efforts and he is weaving webs around people's legs - metaphorically he is saying that he is undermining their work, causing them problems.
>>
>>9645995
Scorn rhymes with corn and feet rhymes with wheat, that's what he is saying.
>>
>>9646106
I don't think he's laughing at them. Scorning isn't the same as mocking. I'd say he's a necessary part of life and aware of that rather than being proud of it or happy about it.
>>
>>9646106
I'm especially confused about the word 'labor'
is the Minstrel saying he is a labor of a man?

Is the man weaving a web for his own feet, or is the Minstrel doing it to him?

Is a labor leading to scorn?

I believe, that the best help for me would be to rewrite this sentence with some new words.
>>
>>9646144
Like >>9646128 says, he's not quite laughing.

>Laughing man's labor to scorn
might be easier to look at grammatically. The subject comes from the first line of the paragraph,

>I am the rust on the corn

so that we continue it to

>I am... laughing

then the object is man's labor, which is unusual for the verb laughing and I think the source of the problems. "to scorn" acts like a result or a purpose clause.

Paraphrasing:
>I laugh at everyone's hard work until everything they've done just looks feeble and insignificant, and I spend my time tripping up people trying to go about their work.
>>
>>9646239
oh, I finally get it. Yes, you were 100% right about the source of my confusion.
Thank you kind anon, you brighten my days.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.