[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

could you guys recommend me any books that are simultaneously

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4143.jpg (11KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4143.jpg
11KB, 320x180px
could you guys recommend me any books that are simultaneously funny and melancholy? Like parts of V.
>>
Technically, I could.
>>
>>9640452
please?
>>
"Please?" That only works on someone who cares about your well-being.
>>
>>9640431
JR and The Recognitions.
>>
>>9640431
>>
War & War by Laszlo K
>>
>>9640431
The petty demon
Catch 22
>>
>>9640472
>JR and The Recognitions.
I'm not allowed to read these though
>>
>>9640511
>the petty demon
i read a few pages of this earlier. i don't know if it's the translation, but it seemed to be written by an incompetent fool who couldn't even make a satirical scene feel more awkward and skeletal if he tried. really was disappointed, i had been excited to read it for quite a while.
"i'm going to spit in your face"
"no you're not!"
he spits in her face calmly
she calls him a swine calmly looking refreshed by the spit.

what is this rot? it's not funny, it's not clever, it seems quaint, knowing it's from another time, but reading something like Gargantua shows me there's no limit to a modern feeling audacity. this is just childish.
>>
File: 9788420422671.jpg (57KB, 473x768px) Image search: [Google]
9788420422671.jpg
57KB, 473x768px
>>9640431
My diary, desu.

Pic related it's one of the most sad, funny, and honest works I've ever read. It's way undervalued .
>>
>>9640547
Must be the translation. I thought it was hilarious. That scene wasn't the funniest and it went basically like you said, but it was better in the original.
It gets funnier as it goes on and peredonv becomes more petty and paranoid. The side story is the definition of decadence imo.
>>
>>9640595
Also make sure you are reading a copy with the censored scenes.
>>
>>9640518
What, why?
>>
>>9641201
I haven't read the bible, I haven't read the greeks or the most prominent "staples" of the western canon in order to fully appreciate them both
>>
>>9640431
if this is Decalogue there is no better choice than Three Colours: White. Same director, same actour as in pic rel, and its comedy more than drama. Great film too, more polish than Blue or Red, although less visually impressive
>>
>>9640431
The Loser
The Lime Works
>>
>>9641292
There's no need, man. The references in The Recognitions are mostly to religious texts that are not The Bible, and there's little necessary literary knowledge in JR. You can go blind in both of them, seriously.
>>
>>9640431
That Pynchonian heat and blast of color as context, is really what youre after. I can think of nothing like it, that style youthful exuberance. It's needed. V. is terribly underrated. Imagine asking for an opera like Don Giovanni. More operas like that. One cd recommend a Rossini or two but really it can't be adequately done.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.