[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>average writer 100 years ago: studied the ancients and received

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1496205079456.jpg (58KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1496205079456.jpg
58KB, 750x750px
>average writer 100 years ago: studied the ancients and received a traditional education, fought on the front lines in a war, traveled the world exploring many different cultures, struggled with his own personal vices, made many friends and enemies, after a rich and interesting life dedicated to seeking the truth he writes an incredible work of art that fundamentally describes the world and what it means to be human, a masterpiece of literature
>Writer now: is a total nerd, goes to college where he studies a bunch of postmodernist pretentious garbage, masturbates and consumes huge amounts of narcotics all day, plays tennis, writes a meandering, mediocre, pretentious book that is basically autobiographical and really boring and bereft of meaning or talent, might capture some of the current zeitgeist but ultimately it's just an expensive doorstopper

How do we fix this? Will another world war make life (and therefore literature) more interesting?
>>
>>9638285
end this capitalism meme
>>
>>9638290
>le capitalism is killing culture conspiracy theory
"no"
>>
It starts with fixing one's self
>>
youre an idiot if you think writers haven't always been poshy rich white kids writing about the 'struggle" since the 1920s
>>
there's nothing interesting about poverty, suffering, and war. everything capable of being said about those things has been said and said again.

the writer of today is only a failure insofar as he tries to find those things just mentioned in his average, comfortable life. his failure is one of imagination. his crime is one of hypocrisy.

conceptual and formal innovation is the utopian future of art. "the novel" has only scratched the surface of what literature can do. when every man woman and child has read Finnegans Wake, you will see what I mean. but whether we will ever reach that point remains to be seen.
>>
Always get a chuckle when pseuds try to describe what makes literature.
>>
>>9638290
Bait. How could anyone think fucking communism is a good idea on 4chan of all places?
>>
>>9638285
>average writer 100 years ago

By 1917 it was already a lost cause, try 400 years ago to get close
>>
>>9638299
I think the generations that came of age during WW1 or WW2 were the last generation of great authors, the rest have sort of missed the mark I think. I feel as if most books written today are either made specifically for the critical circlejerk or they reflect too much on contemporary society. There really haven't been many books in the past fifty years with any staying power.
>>
>>9638329
nah even then the real famous writers were sensitive floaty types who appealed to simpler ideas they still didn't actually achieve. It was of the time, as is our current literature, but sill the people were the same.
>>
>>9638310
Here's your answer, take note
>>
>>9638299
>since the 1920s
>>
>>9638310
Sexy answer.
>>
>>9638317
>falling this hard for le There Is No Alternative meme
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.