[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup c/lit/. I've been in a big essay writing mood lately

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1487731788291.png (593KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1487731788291.png
593KB, 1000x750px
Sup c/lit/. I've been in a big essay writing mood lately and wanted to tackle a 2 in 1 project. My idea was a complete critique and breakdown of both liberals and conservatives in America, and how closely related the followers actually are behind all of the open hostility and idealism. Problem is most of my political reading has fallen way behind, the last thing I read was Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail 79. What should I read to help keep a contemporary style on this subject?

Pic unrelated, I'm at work on my phone
>>
>>9633796

pathetic
>>
>>9633796
>9633
politics are so limited in time and unimportant when looking at what makes the world turn. Don't get yourself stuck in bagatelles like contemporary US politics anon, look at the great scheme of things, from which ever stance you want to do it
>>
>>9633817
I wasn't planning on making it a magnifying glass "this is a liberal, this is a conservative" style essay. It was moreso going to say that once you get outside of the Red vs Blue mentality and look at the individual citizens you realize how both political teams use the same tactics to draw out the same responses. The more ingrained a person is in a political party, the easier they are to control and vote with only half of the whole story
>>
>>9633851
But this is obvious, entry level, and shallow.

Are you a poli-sci major or something? Do you still believe the institutionalization? C'mon.
>>
>>9633851
still doesn't change my point,I called it pointless because to me it seems like it matters fuck all and I doubt it could add any value to your life. If you want to write essay to enrich your thinking or have any greater goal than just improving your writing, choose a topic you find meaningful, and I doubt this is one, if it is, forget what I just wrote, everyone needs to find their own meaning in life
>>
neckyourselfkid
>>
>>9633866
I'm on my phone, not writing everything out. That's not even my thesis, but you seemed to be unable to glean anything from my OP so I had to spell it out for you
>>
File: radiate disaster.jpg (111KB, 986x1202px) Image search: [Google]
radiate disaster.jpg
111KB, 986x1202px
I prefer this version with the Adorno quote
>>
>>9634201

try hard pseuds don't know how to be funny anymore

take this lameness back to frog twitter
>>
>>9634211
>>>/pol/
>>
>>9634219

i need to go to pol because you want to be a try hard pseud in life? what?

>THE FULLY ENLIGHTENED EARTH RADIATES DISASTER TRIUMPHANT

funny shit, my bro. you aren't trying too hard at all.
>>
File: lYWkp1q.jpg (129KB, 878x408px) Image search: [Google]
lYWkp1q.jpg
129KB, 878x408px
I'm currently a middling grad student who's publishing on this very topic. My thesis (MA) won some Canadian collegiate awards and I stand a likely chance of landing fully funded PhD positions at top tier US schools.

What you're alluding to, in my estimation, is political psychology and political culture analyses. There's a wide literature on both.

I would begin with reading the moral/political psychology of Jonathan Haidt (TED is a meme but he summarizes his thesis very well in one of his talks), having to do with social intuitionism and moral foundations theory. Look into political cultures from the bottom up (Start with Almond and Verba).

Read Robert Putnam on social capital, Peter Renfrow's work on political cultures and personality (see: http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2013/10/regions-personalities.aspx). There's also a wealth of literature on the genetic heritability of ideology and politico-moral foundations (Hatemi et al., 2011; Minnesota Twin Study; Dan McAdams et al., 2006, 2008). Personality traits like the Big Five are also heritable, and socially developed, and correlate strongly with ideological dispositions.

My go-to is always Haidt for this line of research. It begins with understanding the foundations of individual morality, that will clear up the fault lines between conservatives v. liberals v. libertarians. There is little we can do about these differences, but they are empirically very apparent and once understood make moral disagreement much easier to traverse.

Drew Weston is another good name in the field. I'll shoot you some more as they come to me. But basically, this is a broad and burgeoning field of social science and you haven't yet narrowed your thesis down very well so I can't help with specifics.

Good luck.
>>
>>9634231
Where are you whenever I ask for advice on this site?
I get twelve year olds trying formulate something other than a shitpost and this OP gets a political sciences (or whatever specific field it is you're in) doctoral candidate.

Brb, killing myself
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.