[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, first time posting here. I'm a complete pleb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1446517149046.jpg (155KB, 500x401px) Image search: [Google]
1446517149046.jpg
155KB, 500x401px
Hey /lit/, first time posting here.
I'm a complete pleb when it comes to literature, I've read a couple of books before in my life when I was out visitting some family but nothing else other than that, and that was years ago.
You could say both books were about mystery and they were pretty good (Sorry, I do not remember the titles) so I guess I could start with that genre and work from there... Any books you could recommend to me?
>>
what do you like? what kind of questions do you ask yourself? what would you like to learn?
>>
>>9633034
ok for starters:
odysee and ilias
platos works
goethes faust (underrated outside of germany)
shakespeare
>>
You might like Dark matter from Blake Crouch
>>
>>9633048
Well I did like both books having a mystery or something that the main character of the book was looking for.. I honestly do not know how to answer your two last questions, right now I'm not trying to actually "learn" something, I think it would be more of trying to get into the habit of reading books, so I don't think it matters too much if its about adventures, history or personal stuff from the author.
My approach to this whole thing might sound pretty dumb to you, this is all new to me so I don't know where to start.
>>
>>9633052
>>9633064
Thanks! I will look them all up at my local library and see what I can find
>>
>>9633066

You will enjoy reading more if its related to your personal interests. Posts like >>9633052 are honestly quite challenging reading that should be built to. I can't imagine how little understanding most posters here get from reading the Greeks before they are ready. Classics classes should e brought back to public school.
>>
>>9633066

Could start with some classic detective writers. Raymond Chandler and A. Conan Doyle for example.
>>
>>9633074
>You will enjoy reading more if its related to your personal interests.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense, and since I already know I do enjoy some mystery, maybe detective stuff is the way to go for now.

>>9633079
Sounds pretty good, this might be too much spoonfeed already but could you name a book from those authors to start from? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>9633066
Thats how i did it, just jump right into it pick up what seems interesting and even if I made a bad choice i still finished the book

You can choose from the lit recommendations on the sticky aswell
>>
File: 1496340573361.png (151KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1496340573361.png
151KB, 500x500px
>>9633092
Oh Damn, I jumped right into this board without even noticing there was a sticky, whoops... I will check it out right now
>>
>>9633088

you could get a complete sherlock holmes for nothing, chandler is best known for big sleep, theres also titles like 39 steps, maltese falcon, murder on orient express, new york trilogy, maybe even some james bond from fleming
>>
>>9633117
Thank you, That should be enough to keep me entertained for a while, I wrote all these books down just in case I run out, that plus the sticky should be enough for now, thank you all.
>>
>>9633134

They are also insanely cheap. you could pick them all up for under $10 on abebooks or something. dont underestimate abebooks
>>
>>9633134
last one i'd recommend is the great gatsby, it was a perfect transition from youth literature to "higher literature" (like faust, shakespeare etc I mentioned before) for me, so if you want to get into that, gatsby might be the way to go, even though some of the vocabulary is antiquated. Have fun reading!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.