[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>people are unironically proud not to have a read a book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5432.png (8KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5432.png
8KB, 384x384px
>people are unironically proud not to have a read a book in a long time
>>
One time I nearly jumped over a table and punched a guy who was not only PROUD to have never read a book, but he said he was never going to read a book ever. He was so fucking smug about it too. To be fair, I was pretty unstable at the time, and I didn't actually do it, but there was a lot of screaming involved, and if I know myself at all, then there was at least one knee on the table. Absolutely unfathomable.
>>
>>9631501
they are effectively saying they are proud of being dumb. indeed it is unfathomable
>>
>>9631501
autism
>>
Who cares? People in ISIS chop heads off, people in banking scheme, people deal fentanyl in their heroin, people think its perfectly ok to use the computer 8 hours a day blah blah blah
>>
>>9631488
I think that people who talk about this are unironically insecure about it and find support for their bad habits from other insecure people.
>>
>>9631511
yeah, that's usually the case
>>
>>9631510
I unironically spent 16 hours a day on a computer for a few years of my life.
>>
Why the fuck don't people read anymore? Most of my friends only read comics. Some say they wish they read more, but none of them do it. Even the people I talk to in my English classes mostly read for school. They don't read books over the summer or anything. Did the internet fuck us up? Or are books themselves to blame, with too many being released to count and the acclaimed ones being too advanced for plebs?
>>
>>9631878
That's what I am doing right now. Send help.
>>
Trump doesn't read, and I'm supposed to love Trump. So do I hate reading now?
>>
>>9631488
Its the future and books are considered a slow and outdated medium.
You could watch a 5 minute clip or hour documentary to get a similar gesalt
>>
>>9631504

>reading books makes you smart

when will this meme end
>>
>>9632191
Depends on what youre reading.
>>
the average person now reads probably 100x more than the average person 100 years ago, thanks to the internet.
>>
>>9632076
People used to read pulpy crap because there were fewer forms of entertainment. It's not like everyone in 1920 had read the Western Canon. In my opinion the same percentage of "serious" readers exist today than at any other time, people just focus on tv or internet these days because it's more common than airport fiction.
>>
>>9632076
ll those factors, yes. But you also have to remember that reading as a hobby hasn't been around for that long. Today, we are probably at peak literacy, and people are probably reading more than ever, even if it's schlock like The DaVinci Code. Reading used to be reserved for the privileged classes, and it still has that kind of appeal.

In short, people proudly announcing that they don't read are engaging in a type of working class virtue signalling.
>>
>>9632285
This, the structure of society and its members never really changes.
>>
>>9631488
I think that reading is a timeless medium honestly. It isn't going anywhere, and if you circle yourself with morons who don't read then sure you'll have the impression that no one reads.
>>
well, my life is very happening right now and there are other things i can invest time into that are more beneficial than reading, mostly short term.

life is about balance and i don't think you will become who you are supposed to be through just reading books. also, simply taking a break from reading to regain interest is a not a bad thing
>>
File: IMG_6623.gif (2MB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6623.gif
2MB, 245x245px
>>9632108
Similar in nature, maybe, but not remote in quality of understanding. Brevity and clarity are not congruent, and reliance on brief documentary arguments have downgraded our entire generation's demand for rigour in argument to [insert reportedly reputable or recognizable source here] said [insert popular argument] so it contributes to and hammers home that truth. It's the same sheep psychology that gave a heathen era of the catholic church such omniscient regressive influence over europe for a millenia. The argument of gestalt psychology in the first place refutes your argument, as, since the gestalt must be different from the sum of its parts, a vastly greater sum (the literary source, intigrating a more logically comprehensive foundation than the documentary reliance on seeing as believing, is therefore greater content-wise) provides that much room for difference. Nevermind that gestalt psychology is filled with holes in the first place. Itt: junior undergrad; pic related--it's you
>>
>>9632076
>with too many books being released to count
People have literally been using that excuse for millennia.

The reason people don't read books anymore is because the internet and television lowered our attention span too much, why spend time reading when you have instant gratification?
>>
>>9632979
>people have been using that excuse for a millennia
>the problem is tv and internet
well what was the problem a millennia ago?

i think it's just because the idea of reading a book is daunting to people who haven't already read a lot, and you don't need to be well read for the majority of vocations
>>
>>9632263
>Depends on how you read.
FTFY
>>
>>9631488
I know.

https://thewalrus.ca/the-rising-tide-of-educated-aliteracy/

>In the age of information overload, discussing books you haven’t read has become a badge of honour—and, for some, a profession
>>
>>9633981
>>9632076

The concept of imagination in the modern day is archaic. Kids are indoctrinated through an """education system""" that tells them how and what to think; the internet has provided a source of immediate satisfaction and reading requires time and concentration that people either:

A) Don't have (unlikely)
or
B) Prefer to pretend not to have (more likely)

Also, pop culture basically tells kids that reading is for losers and rejects. I know this is nothing new, but in a society dominated by pop culture, especially today where media is so readily accessible - you do the math.
>>
>>9632979
There have always been people who don't read. Do you think peasants in the Middle Ages read?
>>
>>9635202
>There have always been people who don't X
You're trying to conflate separate problems.
They didn't read because of a lack of opportunity to do so - illiteracy. When protestant pastors taught peasants in Sweden and other Nordic countries how to read, the result were some of the most successful and cohesive societies in the world nowadays. What we're discussing is an entirely different problem - people could read, but they don't.
>>
>>9631501
Looks like someone needs to read Meditations.

EQUANIMITY, SENPAI.
>>
>>9631510
>>9631878
>>9632097
M80s, we're all posting on 4chan.
>>
>>9632191
Strawman. Reread your shit post.
>>
>>9631501
I like you buddy, should had done the punch though.
>>
>>9631501
I've never read a book either and I'm never going to. Reading is literally a waste of time and money; you can get everything you need from a university (which gives an actual credential for having learned something) or on the job.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.