[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So am I just an idiot or is this guy's stuff exceptionally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: stevens3.jpg (34KB, 361x480px) Image search: [Google]
stevens3.jpg
34KB, 361x480px
So am I just an idiot or is this guy's stuff exceptionally harder to grasp compared to most other poets?
>>
You are correct. I exclusively read him for a few months and I've honestly concluded that I can read anyone now...except Pound.
Wallace Stevens wrote poetry for himself and that's evident.
>>
>>9629205
lol try ashberry pleb
>>
>>9629215
>ashberry
where should I start?
>>
>>9629193
Let's get some discussion going. What poem are you reading?
>>
File: 800px-Anatomia_del_corpo_humano.jpg (285KB, 800x1201px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Anatomia_del_corpo_humano.jpg
285KB, 800x1201px
>>9629246
I've started rereading "The Man with the Blue Guitar" after seeing this photo
>>
>>9629240
Not him, but The Skaters
Pound's just not that interesting outside of technique.
>>9629193
He's p weird, but plenty of poets are obscure (especially Modern/right after modern poets)
>>
Daily reminder that Wallace Stevens was a republican
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/what-mitt-romney-might-learn-from-wallace-stevens
>>
>>9629193
Probably, but I find it very enjoyable even when I don't know what the hell he's on about.

If you want an easy but also good poet, I'd recommend Larkin.
>>
>>9629275
unsurprising tbph
>>
File: And I laughed.png (443KB, 1214x646px) Image search: [Google]
And I laughed.png
443KB, 1214x646px
>>9629291
>>
>>9629316
Ovid was a left-wing, and he surpassed Homer. Also:
>Plath is bad because she's confessional
That's a bullshit reason to deny her craftsmanship.
>>
>>9629316
*tops fedooba* A man of excellent taste!
>>
>>9629316
what purpose does this serve
>>
>>9629325
>>9629331
>>9629333
to give a giggle to those who can take a joke
>>
>>9629340
The joke is that you laugh and think "it's funny because it's true!" then continue producing nothing until your shallow interest in literature passes in favour of some other host for your politics.
>>
>>9629340
>joke
>/lit/
>>
>>9629193
He's not really worth the effort. You read him and get what, Nietzsche?
>>
>>9629370
Okay, that's not true, but continue your point.
>>
>>9629348
I'm not a right-winger, you centrist cunt.
>>
>>9629370
What?
>>
>>9629316
Not very far from the truth desudesu
>>
>>9629537
it is very far from the truth because left/right dichotomy is retarded as fuck
>>
>>9629240
With Ashbery start with the SELECTED later poems: Notes from the Air. Easier than Stevens. While youre at it pick up Sphere and Garbage, both by A.R. Ammons. The latter won the '93 National Book Award.
>>
>>9629215
Ashbery is just nonsense.

OP I'd say early works/Harmonium can be read and impulsively enjoyed (if not fully grasped), but his late work in the '40s and '50s is slow-going.
>>
>>9629275
He also praised Mussolini for sorting out the 'coons' in Ethiopia
>>
>>9629325
>applying the right/left classification to ancient history
brainlet
>>
>>9631206
If you read Metamorphoses closely (not even closely really) you'd recognize how much of a bleeding heart Ovid was. Combine that with Heroides, and you don't think its clear where his politics would lie? To recap, He's a feminist vegetarian (or at least advocated for vegetarianism) who was exiled by his Caesar.
>>
>>9630652
I need some citations on that.
>>
>>9629316
Very close minded. You can have both and be utterly superior to people that think like this.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.