[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of writing a sci fi book where the protagonist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

I'm thinking of writing a sci fi book where the protagonist has no memories whatsoever.

She doesn't know what oranges are, or what rain is, or what her own face looks like, for example. She is provided with words for these things by an implanted computer, so she can communicate if necessary, but otherwise she has to blunder ahead with no knowledge or contextual understanding whatsoever.

Now, I'm writing this for economic reasons, even as I try to keep it as tasteful as possible, so I have to ask: is this a premise that average readers ('normies") can accept, or would they be unable to identify (self-insert) with such a character?
>>
>>9627565
That sounds like a facetiously pedantic and absurd concept.
>>
File: 1389830846593.gif (2MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1389830846593.gif
2MB, 280x210px
>>9627565 (OP)
Perhaps. The feeling of aloofness is one that normies tend to connect with on these narratives (think MC on Hunger Games or KStew on Twilight, they both are relatively socially inept).

I'd recommend you read and incorporate some aspects that you see on every YA novel (love triangle, mysterious background and dark secret, super powers, etc.).

Other than that I recommend you find some ""deep"" theme to insert in your narrative, like the intimate relation of the self with the conscious and the memory or whatever. Why you would you that in a YA novel? In order to give some rec with the critics (Seven reasons to read Anon's New Novel: "NUMBER FIVE, Its not just an action pack romantic adventure, it tackles deep philosophical problems").

You should make the theme obvious though. Open a chapter and comment on it. Speak directly to the reader.

Good luck.

PS. Your story reminds me of that netflix series of a tattooed woman who lost her memory but fights like a navy seal or whatever. Watch it and try to not make it exactly the same.

t. ghost writer for some YA second level author. Don't ask I'm not telling who it is. Take it or leave it.
>>
>>9627691
Yes, if I spent the entire novel on that, instead of using it as a starting point. But I'm not sure if it should be my starting point.

>>9627693
This is something to think about.

I suppose it's normal for a protag to be "humble" in some way, while getting buried in glory and adoration and being very modest about it.

What's your opinion of large casts? Should I focus mostly on the heroine, or is more ever actually more? I'm tempted, but it doesn't seem like an economical use of the limited wordcount. I suppose I'm answering my own question, but I'd like to hear your opinion.
>>
File: turShjD.jpg (132KB, 640x545px) Image search: [Google]
turShjD.jpg
132KB, 640x545px
>>9627730

three to four MC tops (eg. Real MC, love interest 01 and 02, antagonist)

You can have more characters (six or seven secondary) but should only expand on few of these and only to give insight on the MC (eg.: a chapter on the MC mother).

Use very different names for these characters. No Mathew and Marcos, for instance (unless its on purpose and if it is you should acknowledge it explicitly).

You have no idea how entry level readers have a hard time remembering character's names. Even somewhat mature readers have a hard time when character's names are similar and/or very strange (think Dostoevsky or any Russian lit).

Remember always, YA novels are read for plot and - minimally - character development.

Don't go crazy with the size of the novel. You should prefer to publish six 300 page novels rather than one with 1.800 pages. Big books are scary because people are wary to commit to reading them.
>>
This is pretty much how women already are. The implant is their phone or, more likely, Chad and Tyrone's cock in her mouth.

Stacies will identify with your book and not know why. Good job, OP!
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.