[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are picaresque novels the only good thing that came out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: The-picaresque-novel-.jpg (30KB, 529x350px) Image search: [Google]
The-picaresque-novel-.jpg
30KB, 529x350px
Are picaresque novels the only good thing that came out of spanish literature?
>>
>>9627420
I came out of spanis hliterature

thats right kids

i am a book AMA
>>
>>9627422
How do your characters feel about you?
>>
>>9627422
Truly epic hahahhahah xD Laughing my heck off fella
>>
>Don Quixote
>picaresque

Try not being a retard before spouting retarded shit
>>
>>9627623
Although maybe not fully picaresque, the Quijote is a bridge between the picaresque and the modern novel. Let's not forget that Cervantes wrote Rinconete and Cortadillo as well.
>>
>>9627420
>What was El Cid
>>
>>9627420
What's the matter? Too much of a pleb to understand the works of the writers of Generation of '98?
>>
>>9627420
Don Quixote isn't a picaresque.
>>
>>9627623
>Don Quixote
>not picaresque

>main character v. society
>largely comic in nature
>satire on society
>focuses on his adventures
>largely devoid of a traditional plot
>>
>>9627420
No. You also have Spanish Golden Age and Enlightenment drama (de Molina, de la Cruz), the Romantics (Quintana), realists (Valdes), etc.
>>
>>9627937
he's not a picaro. he's a knight errant, you mong.

glad to see someone who likes Lazarillo De Tormes. that's my favorite book, despite the ending.
>>
>>9627420
Spanish are half sandniggers so I'm not surpriced there is not much to read.
>>
i had a revelation a while back. there are videogames called roguelikes. ADOM, Nethack, Angband. these were based specifically on the source game rogue. many of the same properties. then, games such as the binding of isaac, FTL, rogue legacy came along, and they were called the same, roguelikes. this was a topic of contention to the fans of the original games. the genre was being trivialized and becoming meaningless, as mere parts of the whole were considered enough to give them the label.

move over to picaresques. picaro, rogue, esque, essentially meaning "like" or "similar", the same thing is happening. books based on the source of Lazarillo, but not having the same parts of the whole, eventually the word just became a bookseller, a buzzword. the few true picaresques that are not Lazarillo would be El Buscon, Guzman De Alfarache, and despite it being a much later work and french, Gil Blas could be considered of the same genre, though Gil may not be considered a picaro.

rogue-likes
picaresques
history repeats itself in far more literal ways than is sometimes expected.
>>
File: 1495826835114.jpg (57KB, 641x773px) Image search: [Google]
1495826835114.jpg
57KB, 641x773px
>>9627994
It's always a pleasure to be so surprised y something like this
>>
>>9627973
>he isn't fulfilling the role of a picaro via his delusions
M8 pls
>>
>>9627420
What is Life Is Dream?
>>
>>9628034
A FUCKING PICARO IS A ROGUE.

Don Quixote is NEVER a rogue, a fool, a dangerous fool, but he's NEVER a rogue. a rogue steals at will to survive, he tricks others through cunning and enterprise, typically to get food or precious things. Don Quixote was incredibly chivalrous and horrifyingly delusional. He is a knight errant. not a rogue.
>>
>>9628040
The contents of La Vida Es Sueño have been treated before, and way better, in Dante's Purgatory.
>>
>>9627994
Too bad in the other half of the millennium they've been the most christian country in Europe.
>>
>>9627420
But picaresque novels aren't generally very good either. I suspect many people praise them because they like the concept and haven't read any.

>>9628062
Sancho shares some with the rogue archetype
>>
>>9628079
perhaps, but the title of the story is Don Quixote, not Sancho Panza, you twit.
>picaresques aren't good
ah, so you're a scoundrel.
>>
Reminder that the Germans have the best picaresque novel
>>
>>9628091
a filthy candidesque.
>>
>>9628093
technically, it being written 100 years before candide, candide is simplicimesque(sp?)
>>
>>9628065
Not even similar in any way though
>>
>>9628103
good point.
>>
>>9628086
Sancho is the main character in part II, fight me
>>picaresques aren't good
Picaresques from the original spanish 16-17c era are no good.
>>
>>9628108
you're trash m8. if you think sancho was the main character you lack the mental fortitude to enjoy a brilliant work such as Lazarillo.
>>
>>9628108
El Lazarillo is fantastic and so is El Buscón. Also El burlador de Sevilla has picaresque elements and it basically spawned a universal archtype
>>
>>9628121
And you don't say science-fiction novels are good just because you liked Jules Verne, the majority of picaresques are still cheap genre garbage.
>>9628116
Spanish scholars can't handle their own literature either then :^)
>>
>>9628155
Well, that happens to mostly every genre. Picaresque was the shit then, so it's only natural than 90% was shit, same as 90% of scifi or fantasy is irredeemable shit.
>>
>>9628155
pleb. the genre is so specific that there are very few picaresques to begin with. those are all spectacular works. sci-fo is a very broad genre, so much so that it has sub-genres. stop shitting up the thread, you faggot.
>>
It's spelled picturesque you pretentious faggots
>>
read gongora
>>
>>9628219
So hard to know if people are being genuinely retarded or just trolling
>>
>>9628219
>>9628663
this one is too charged over something slight, so its probably a troll

either way hes still genuinely retarded
>>
Is there an English ePub/mobi translation of Lazarillo?
>>
>>9628724
Bumping for hope
>>
>>9629189
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/437

enjoy my dear friend!
>>
>>9627644
So you are saying that Ulysses is a bilgdunsroman because Joyce wrote A Portrait?
>>
>>9627644
OK kid
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.