[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>about to go into a MA in English literature >haven't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 91VBsSWI01L._SY606_.jpg (85KB, 444x606px) Image search: [Google]
91VBsSWI01L._SY606_.jpg
85KB, 444x606px
>about to go into a MA in English literature
>haven't done undergrad major in English literature

How fucked am I, lads?
>>
How much do you know about literary theory and criticism? Cause your professors will be able to tell pretty quickly if you have no clue what you're doing.
>>
>>9625925
Yeah, you're fucked.
>>
>>9625957
Not much.

What should I read?
>>
>>9625925
Literary criticism is your best bet. Most unis have a reading list somewhere on their page to download as a pdf format. Honestly most of my lit undergrad was applying cherry picked theory... Look for a good intro to literary theory text that has example essays or applications. Ill try to find one and post a link. The one we used was trash.
>>
>>9625990
Should I do this?

http://oyc.yale.edu/english/engl-300
>>
>>9625957
>>9625973

How come you've chosen to study it? Do you just like books?

I think it'll be fine. They'll set you readings to go alongside novels so just make sure you read it all. If you can, buy an anthology of literary theory and read at least half of it over the next few months.

Literary Theory: An Anthology (Rivkin & Ryan) is a good one. Loads of wacky shit in there.
>>
>>9626027
That doesn't look bad at all. Its at least a good start. I wpuld also look and try to read some current theory to get a geist of what your professors will want and expect from you, that way you will see how people currently are applying the theory and see how current critical papers are being written. Tbh its a lot of pretentious bs lol.
>>
>>9626046
Yeah, I just wanted to learn about literature, and I didn't want to do another bachelors
>>
>>9626060
Can you give me some examples of current theory?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.