[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good piece of literature to start with for someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1497132158507s.jpg (4KB, 250x140px) Image search: [Google]
1497132158507s.jpg
4KB, 250x140px
What's a good piece of literature to start with for someone who is completely new to philosophy?
>>
A Thousand Plateaus
>>
Socrates' apology
>>
>>9625812
Start with Plato and Aristotle; you should probably buy companion books, so that you can understand what's happening. People will meme you into thinking you need to be an expert on ancient Greece in order to advance, but that's autistic. Also Rome is entirely optional, and after Plato and Aristotle you should be making your way to Aquias. From there you have hit Leibnitz and Hume, then strike at Kant; you'll want another companion book for him. Greece is where you start out, but it depends on what subjects of philosophy you're interested in.
>>
>>9625838
this is an unusually good answer, but I feel like aquinas and leibniz are a little bit arbitrary unless you are specifically trying to affirm pre-existing beliefs.

the core-four I have always told people is plato->aristotle->hume->kant. after that it's down to preference, maybe you do want to build a long-winded tower of reifications and fallacy that pets your religious mindset in which case yeah aquinas, leibniz, descartes, wittgenstein, and kierkegaard aren't bad options at that point. my personal preference up this alley of preferred-schools-of-thought is the branch of phenomenology, with husserl->scheler->heidegger being a good place to look through.
>>
>>9625838
>>9625908
>Skipping Descartes
wtf lads
>>
>>9625908
Aquinas is important if you want to branch out into theology, but I suppose he's mostly optional. And I added in both Leibnitz and Hume, because it might help get a better understanding of the Rationalist vs Empiricist debate that spawned Kant. Though you're correct that I'm a bit religiously biased.
>>
>>9625812
Obligatory:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

These lectures are helpful too:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9GwT4_YRZdBf9nIUHs0zjrnUVl-KBNSM
>>
>>9625917
unironically descartes didn't progress the field any more than his most famous quotation.
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 247x204px
>>9625812
The only way to be a filosopher iis to start with Hegel
>>
>>9625937
>guide unironically tells people to watch blade runner
even ignoring the fact that the movie misses most of the interesting philosophical material of the book, what?
>>
>>9625977
pkd's prose isn't that great. he's an ideas guy.
>>
>>9625959
Even if that's true, he is still extremely influential.
>>
>>9625993
who said anything about his prose?

>>9626009
yeah you're gonna spend a long time reading redundant stuff if you take everything in a chain of influence. not that there's anything wrong with that if it's what you want to do, but you could learn as much in less time.
>>
File: next_chapter.png (93KB, 737x850px) Image search: [Google]
next_chapter.png
93KB, 737x850px
>>9625812
The philosophy of 4chan.
>pic related
>>
>>9626065
Descartes isn't long and he influenced everyone after. That's a lot of bang for your buck.
>>
>>9625812
Sophie's World
>>
>>9626065
>you're gonna spend a long time reading redundant stuff if you take everything in a chain of influence.
FIrst of all, Descartes is neither a long nor redundant read. Second, the Discourse and the Meditations are both great solid pieces of philosphy that anyone can tackle with no previous understanding of the field, which is exactly what OP was asking for.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.