[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you personally feel about revisiting old (completed) projects?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: charlee.png (1KB, 83x86px) Image search: [Google]
charlee.png
1KB, 83x86px
How do you personally feel about revisiting old (completed) projects? I have something I wrote about 6 years ago which is poorly written but has a setting and characters I really like. I kind of want to go back and rework it or maybe even rewrite it. If it was you, would you see that as a waste of time? How important is it to keep making forward progress as a writer and not look back at old shit?
>>
I am not one of those guys who writes on a story concept and then, regardless of whether or not I finish it, move onto another. I stick to the same universe and just make more stories in it. Because if I were to build another world, it'd just turn out to be the same, with only a couple minor backdrop differences like volcanoes and earthquakes being possible.
With that said, I feel bad about scrapping old characters and concepts mainly because I feel a lot of old stuff has good things in there that are very good and salvageable. It would be a waste of good fruit that I finally produced after trying so hard to find that "ah-hah!" moment. Although, I am not afraid to kill every single one of my characters off.
>>
>>9624904
Anon, if I were you, and I am in some senses -- pun intended, wink wink -- that would not be a waste of time but a personal goal.
>Can I improve my skills to the point that I can bring new life to old works?
>Can I save Doc1 and be disappointed/frustrated with it, go off to do intense study and practice with other things for a month or two, then come back and create Doc2 with some of Doc1's content?

Funny enough, after a while you end up realizing that all the side projects, practices, and studies you did to get to the skill level you wanted to be with the projects/goals you wanted to do are ultimately the things that make you successful.
>At least, that's how it is when you look at everyone who's where you want to be, anyway.
>>
File: 64-SBK.png (97KB, 320x220px) Image search: [Google]
64-SBK.png
97KB, 320x220px
if you aren't rewriting and revising, you aren't writing seriously
>>
I can only edit when I have left it alone for two months at least.
>>
Usually I tend to think, in a brief time after some writings, that it is dull and maybe not productive in any situation. So, revisiting some old texts and seeing precious things in it, I'd take a great amount of it to improve my currently projects.

Thing is: if I like what I wrote after few months, it is good to me.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.