[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you need to have an MFA to be a good writer? If you don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: wbyeats.jpg (15KB, 286x280px) Image search: [Google]
wbyeats.jpg
15KB, 286x280px
Do you need to have an MFA to be a good writer?

If you don't have connections that an MFA will provide, how on earth would you get published?
>>
>>9621242

you need an MFA to be an official writer of literary fiction (tm)

if you just want to write and be published, take Stephen King's advice of reading and writing for four hours a day and eventually you'll get good enough to make it
>>
>>9621259
reading + writing =/= getting published
>>
>>9621259
As in read for 4 hours, and write for 4 hours? Or read and write for a combined total of 4 hours?
>>
>>9621269

the first one
>>
>>9621273
Hmm, seems like a pretty lazy routine then...
>>
>>9621242
It definately helps
>>
>>9621242
From what I've seen it isn't the connections that matter. Its more knowing the kind of language and cultural scene publishers will be drawn towards
>>
Get an MFA is you are good at networking. This is the crux of all humanities degrees by the way, networking is 60% of the work.
>>
>>9621242
You should be getting a fucking MFA if you want to write anyways. It leads to a good fallback job of teaching college if you fail at writing anything meaningful.
>>
>>9621438
Lol implying you can just waltz into an academic career

Lecturing or teaching positions, with tenure, are harder than getting published
>>
>>9621242
To be a good writer? Hell no. To get published in your lifetime and not starve while maintaining the "literary lifestyle"? Probably.

If you want to do it on hard mode you can always get a part time programming job while dedicating all your free time to reading/writing tho. Maybe you'll be the superstar that suddenly appeared out of nowhere and topped the Amazon self-published charts :^)
>>
>>9621242

People, you can just self-publish anything you write nowadays on Amazon, anyway.

The old days of a few publishing houses controlling everything are gone.
>>
>>9621641
not the same thing at all
>>
>>9621561
It's not difficult to get a lecturing or assistant-ish job after an MFA.
Only you are talking about tenure and professorship.
>>
>>9621421
You idiot.
>>
>>9621242
very few writers have an mfa.

I'm published, and I don't have one.

Having an MFA is the equivalent of having a single good writing credit, that's all.
>>
>>9621670

It's the same thing if you're writing books people are actually going to read, like science fiction / fantasy or young adult novels.

But, you're right, it's not the same thing if you want to publish some pretentious literary bullshit in purple prose about a woman going through a middle aged crisis and win a Pulitzer
>>
>>9621722
why are you here
>>
>>9621731
He's clearly slipped the /sffg/ containment thread
>>
>>9621731
i like the pics of cartoons sucking squid dicks
>>
>>9621581
oh shut up, why even give advice when you know nothing? Most courses will explicitly and repeatedly tell applicants that this is no way no how a route to being published
>>
>>9621242
Getting published is simple. You have to write something publishable. The issue is, most people can't. So they invent a version of the publishing industry where white cis men/SJW's/Jews/other are conspiring to keep them obscure. The reality is they can't write. Look at the critique threads here. 99.99% of people, even people who are relatively well read and actively want to write, cannot write a couple of good sentences. Thats whats so hard about getting published.
>>
just write for yourelf.
>>
>>9621948

Yeah....I found it pretty easy getting published, once I learned to write well.

It took like twenty years to get to that point but...still...
>>
>>9621948
Also they should go to the library and stroll through the fiction section and realize how few of the books up there even how few of the Pulitzer/Nobel etc winning books up there they recognize or want to read.
>>
Do people still publish poetry?
>>
>>9622499
in a magazine three people read. you dont get paid.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.