[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How could you guys hate on him? I just finished reading the first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

How could you guys hate on him? I just finished reading the first two short stories in Brief Interview with Hideous Men and DFW is very gifted. He's a master at crafting an image that sticks in your brain with both conviction and feeling. He writes so well that the experience of reading him is vaguely sexual.
>>
>>9618229
>liberal retard detected
>>
>>9618229
Go to bed Dave.
>>
>>9618229
They're just contrarian faggots
>>
This was my starting point as well; IJ is much worse. Just read his shorter collections (Oblivion, CtL, etc.)
>>
the first two stories are the good ones, then it just gets dull and angsty
>>
https://electricliterature.com/men-recommend-david-foster-wallace-to-me-7889a9dc6f03

read this OP it was written for you
>>
>>9618668
kek, my friend who doesn't go on /lit/ found this like a week after me and was enraged. can only imagine how hard he'd get baited here
>>
>>9618668
>https://electricliterature.com/men-recommend-david-foster-wallace-to-me-7889a9dc6f03
>It’s too damn long. Hipsters just hear that it’s good. If they actually read it they’d see that Wallace is a poseur.

dfw btfo
>>
>>9618675
I bet you didnt even finish the article lmao

irony of ironies
>>
>>9618675
>>9618668

she missed the key line of the bottle rap thing...where he says "what if it happened to me!" you see man can have bottles of whiskey rammed up their ass just as much as women can...i don't see how she missed that, but i guess it would fuck up her narrative, i hate dfw, but she seems like a pleb who just has trouble reading long books, not into doorstoppers either but if ur going to professionally blog about literature then you need to put away your excuse (indulgent male stuff) and read it
>>
>>9618676
>u expect me to read all that shit by u dot jaypeg
>>
>>9618229
IJ is not his best work, and the This is Water speech definitely isn't, but most of the anons here will only read those if anything. Plus, it's just fun to hate on him now, since he was memed here for so long.
>>
The only Foster I've read is Oblivion, and the short story "The Depressed Person".

The Depressed Person is an awesome story, but the stories in Oblivion generally come across as "too clever by half."

The stories are generally not emotionally evocative, because too much of the focus is on Wallace's verbal pyrotechnics, rather than emotional substance. And the ludicrous fact scenarios get in the way of emotional truth- telling also, such as the story about the guy who shits tiny pieces of sculpture.
>>
He writes like someone who uses a thesaurus to be purposefully obscure and he tries way too hard
>>
>>9618668
Wow I really enjoyed the end of the article.
>>
>>96Jesus
Jesus that article was cringey af. It's the female equivalent of a neck beard.

Did you all see the "she lives on twitter/Tumblr?"

I clicked the Tumblr link and some of the AMAs were about her being proud of not reading canon and that she just goes back to her sci-fi and fantasy books.
>Tfw she's published and I'm not
What a humbling experience.
>>
>>9618246
should we tell him?
>>
>>9618668
>https://electricliterature.com/men-recommend-david-foster-wallace-to-me-7889a9dc6f03
Best response by far
>>
>>9619054
the truth is for suckers
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.