[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished this fantastic book by Rorty It's both meticulous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

Just finished this fantastic book by Rorty

It's both meticulous in it's diagnosis of the left in the last 50 years and prophetic of what has happened since 1998. I think in years to come this book will be regarded as one of the most important in our time.

Anyone else read this master piece?
>>
File: Cw08rQqUQAAI7a1.jpg_large.jpg (140KB, 746x583px) Image search: [Google]
Cw08rQqUQAAI7a1.jpg_large.jpg
140KB, 746x583px
>>
>>9610181
I have a copy of it, but I never read it. I know Rorty is especially critical in how he pins the left. Can you give us a brief synopsis as well as a summation of its points?
>>
>>9610186
Well god damn that was prophetic.
>>
File: 1366266991264.jpg (91KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1366266991264.jpg
91KB, 320x320px
>>9610186

Horee shit. . .
>>
>>9610203
>>9610219
this wasn't like an unheard theory. People were saying this way back in the bush years. It's just funny that ita actually happened and with trump no less.
the actually theory is kinda blase.
>>
>>9610199
Wikipedia does a pretty good job of summarising

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achieving_Our_Country
>>
>>9610186
this was written in 1998?
>>
>>9610232
Thanks, also thank you for >>9610186
>>
>>9610186
>badly educated Americans
>college graduates
One and the same

Also most of this is something that every history professor could tell you. In times of turmoil people like to vote for the strong man to make everything right again. The rest just sounds like the usual leftist drivel.
>gains made by blacks and browns will be wiped out
>Contempt for women
Sounds just like your average MSNBC host.
>>
>>9610266
books btfo
>>
>>9610266
The \book is basically a diagnosis of the left and how since the 60s and the Vietnam war changed from being preoccupied with advocating for political change to being consumed with hatred of their own country and shame of their past.

He draws the comparison with religion has how the left has become obsessed with Sin.

Apart from that one quote the whole content of the book is actually very very good.

>>9610199
http://partiallyexaminedlife.com/2017/01/30/ep157-1-rorty-politics/

This is a very good partially examined life podcast on the book too if you have a spare hour.
>>
>>9610266
Why are you so cynical anon?

Who hurt you?
>>
>>9610186
/pol/ BTFO
>>
>>9610374
Not really. All things considered, that reaction is more than justified.
>>
File: 1355353786352.png (885KB, 664x633px) Image search: [Google]
1355353786352.png
885KB, 664x633px
>>9610232
>likes John Dewey but dislikes Foucault

What a scrub, into the trash Rorty goes
>>
>>9611348
Rorty actually thought Foucault was pretty insightful, and had some important stuff to say. He reviewed a few of Foucault's works pretty favourably, and I know he taught a few of them in his philosophy classes when it was considered pretty unfashionable to do so. He's more so critical of the obsession some leftists have with Foucault that leads them towards a kind of cheap cynicism and what he thinks of as an unproductive "politics of suspicion".
>>
>>9610374
>>9611218

Tee bee aitch I feel more sympathy for the unskilled workers. It's easy to hold all the correct political opinions when you've always had money and security. It was really, really enjoyable to watch them get knocked off their high horse in a bigly way. I hope that the postmodernists professors and college graduates reflect on their mistakes instead of doubling down on 'progressive' sanctimony and hatred but I'm not going to hold my breath.
>>
>>9611760
Except none of that cultural resentment shit actually matters, under the current American regime there's going to be less regulation, lower corporate tax, jobs are probably going to continue to be outsourced. That shit is going to have more of a negative impact on the lives of these unskilled proles than some smug professor looking down on them.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.