[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suppose you want to publish your stuff and be a famous author.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1496114338817.jpg (72KB, 647x800px) Image search: [Google]
1496114338817.jpg
72KB, 647x800px
Suppose you want to publish your stuff and be a famous author. How would you proceed? Start with the assumption that your writings are just good enough for people to like them, and you have plenty of material. Would you start a blog or what?

Help me out on this one if you can.

PD:
>Why do you want to publish? Thats dumb, etc.

I have this impossible dream of living just from my writings and i think ill start to fight for it even if i fail.
>>
start by posting most of it in /lit/ critique threads. there, in this fiery crucible of creativity we call 4chan, you will learn humility and respect, courage and deference. when you are finally ready, you will already know who you are. and so will we.
>>
it depends on what your goal is.

do you want to write for the sake of money? then you better start analozing current trends and how they develope, and then write something that hits the nail on the head at the right time. this night mean that you have to basically whore yourself out to please the masses.

do you want to write to be remembered as a great author?
then write something epic, something that takes a lot of edfort and work and that is thoroughly thought trough and that makes you proud, WHILST being readable and enjoyable.

do you want to write as some form of catharsis?
write whatever the fuck you want. you can try to get it pubslihed, but chances are slim.

in either way, i personally don't give a fuck if an author has a nice website, an up do date blog and a lively fb page. i would never invest energy in such things and rather preserve it for writing. but that's because my goal isn't to get rich/whore myself out. i write the way i want to write. if it gets published one day, even better, but i won't bend over backeards for it. set your priorities and stick to them.
>>
>>9607124
no, it just happens that i believe that most of the things i enjoy writing are pretty commercial anyways. Not vampire-love-story level of commercial but still good enough for people to like it.

But i dont know how to even start. Agents dont care at all about manuscripts if i dont have proof that my stuff can get fans, thats why i wonder about having a blog or an author page or so. I could also self publish but i feel my stuff is gonna drown in a sea of irrelevance if i dont have someone backing me up.
>>
>>9607135
i wouldn't recommend self publishing. there might be some good stuff in it, but it's like trying to find something worthwile in a sea of shit. utter waste of time.
you could try using networking, but don't be autistic about it (iow only do it online) and instead actually socialize (like, getting into the right social circles). the chances of somebody of importance reading your manuscript if you got the right person recommend it to them are a lot higher.

also, there's apparently a best seller algorithm with a very high percentage of accurately estimating a books rise or fall (measured by if and how log they are ranked in the nyt bestseller list...). maybe google that and see if it gives you any insight. idk if there is a possibility to run your own manuscript trough the algorithm. maybe that result could be handed in in addition to your work to make it stand out.
>>
the picture made me sad :(
>>
File: 1496294909459.jpg (193KB, 640x770px) Image search: [Google]
1496294909459.jpg
193KB, 640x770px
>>9607183
I think im gonna publish a novel in amazon anyways. Not much of a worry since i have several novels done, its a pretty average one. Sad thing however is that i write in spanish and amazon is not a hit at all in spanish speaking countries. But i guess it will be something like a start.

I hate networking, im a social autist, but im sure thats a good advice. I won a writing contest once but i was too shy to even keep in touch with the people that approached me. And writing social circles are unbearable to me, i probably have bad luck but its always shitty poetry being endlessly repeated. Not that i dont like poetry but there is no discussion or improvement or anything interesting for me there. Its like a constant underground. Sorry, i find difficult to explain myself.

In any case, thanks a lot for the help anon.
>>
>>9607228
i write in german myself and if i ever want to publish something, i would make sure i have a good english translation before. there is no point in trying to publish anything in a language that isn't english. you just knowingly limit your audience.

well then, you know what to work on. being successfull isn't only about writing in your secluded chamber. it involves putting yourself out there. if you are to shy to keep in contact with people who clearly enjoyed your work, then you should seek professional help. and maybe give the dreaded self help books a try. in cases like yours, they might be able to shed some light on some unhelpful things going on inside you and help you drag them out into the light to examine and get rid of them.

it's hugely imature to state "that's just how i am". you always have the choice to feel sorry for yourself or do something about it.

i said the RIGHT circles. circlejerking slam poets are NOT the right circles. i haven't looked into it myself enough, but what i meant is associate with people surrounding the big ones of publishing. that doesn't mean you have to be friends with low life prose vomiters. maybe the boss of a huge agency is also an avid climber? get to know them and try to get close to them. you don't have to become his buddy. that would be disgusting. but it might help to have a friend who's climbing with him and drops a hint someday. you need to be smart for this and very good with people. so start learning and don't hide behind your autism.
>>
>>9607261
Ah i see, that IS solid advice. I will try to do my best. Is just overbearing and i have trouble knowing where to start exactly.

As for the translations, my novels arent precisely short and it is expensive, but i always thought english readers would like them more so ill see what i can do.
>>
>>9607100

Get published in a prestigious lit magazine(s), then you can get an agent and possibly a book deal.
>>
>>9607301
if you don't mind me giving unsolicited and advice, read brene brown "daring greatly". it's about vulnerability, the fear of rejection and shame. i learned a lot from that book.

you are somewhat fluent in english. personally, i would translate it myself, since i feel like a book always suffers from someone else translating it than the original author. you would still need to get it proof read, but that would definitely cost a lot less if it's already translated. infact, if you find someone interested in it, they would probably proof read it for you, since every book goes trough that process before getting published anyways.
>>
>>9607328
here's a blink of the book so you can see if you would benefit from it.

How does shame work?

• Shame is the fear of social disconnection; it’s only human, but harmful nonetheless.
• Shame is part of our current culture and it promotes a fear of unworthiness – of never having or being enough.

What is vulnerability and why is it the solution to the problem of shame?

• Vulnerability is the core of all emotions and by no means a sign of weakness.
• Instead of ignoring our vulnerability, we should embrace it to improve ourselves and our relationships.

How do we get from shame to vulnerability?

• By understanding and verbalizing our shame, we build a resilience to it and experience others' empathy instead.
• If we feel satisfied with what we are and have, we'll dare to stop hiding our vulnerability.

How does a culture of vulnerability benefit our work, education and families?

• An atmosphere of shame is toxic to any workplace or school.
• Leaders in education, work and society as a whole should combat disengagement by encouraging vulnerability over shame.
• Engaged and involved parenting in a shame-free environment will help children develop a sense of their worthiness.
>>
>>9607332
it really helped me get over my fear of showing people my work.
>>
>>9607328
Well actually i did start translating it myself because i followed your exact same logic (proofread is cheaper) but i was unsure. Now ill continue. Ill look it up (the book) too. Im not so sure the problem is with me, i think i just have terrible luck regarding my experiences as a writer and that made me pessimistic about my chances even if i can recognize what i write is probably not bad at all.

Thanks a lot for your help for real.
>>
>>9607335
being pessimistic because of rejection IS an internal issue. luckily, one you can correct.

good luck!
>>
>>9607100
her hands are huge
>>
>>9607100
moar/sauce??
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.