[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I wrong for thinking that Bukowski's appeal rests on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1710.jpg (69KB, 660x517px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1710.jpg
69KB, 660x517px
Am I wrong for thinking that Bukowski's appeal rests on his finest quality which is that he learned to accept himself ?
>>
>>9605367
that doll he's holding looks like wojack.
a bukowski pepe edit anyone?
>>
File: bobspop.png (25KB, 227x281px) Image search: [Google]
bobspop.png
25KB, 227x281px
Bukowski never accepted himself.

His literature valorizes or romanticizes nearly everything about its narrators.

This shows that deep down he needed to argue with himself about his own value, to present his way of life to himself in attractive terms.

You want to see acceptance, honesty? Read Knut Hamson and Celine.
>>
>>9605376
Can't be arsed senpai.
>>
>>9605385
>Celine
>not an total mess of neuroses
I see you haven't read death on the installment plan
>Hamsun
>not a LARPer extraordinaire
GoTS wasn't about his life. None of his books were except maybe Hunger in parts.

Both are fine writers and both were introduced to me by reading Bukowski.
I don't see any elements of argumentation nor romanticism in Bukowski. He said those things, he did those things. He hit his wife on camera. I really think you're misreading him bruv.
>>
>>9605367
Couldn't agree more, OP.
>>
>>9605367
I'd say more that he needed to completely reject everything, most of all himself, in order to accept himself and the world.
>>
>>9605367
no, his appeal is that he writes really well even though he is writing about nothing at all, he doesn't need a story, a message, a theme, a philosophical concept, he doesn't need shit, he makes you read an uneventful book with no beginning or end just by virtue of having perfected the craft of stringing words together, he doesn't need extra bullshit, just like his characters, who exist simply to get drunk and write, his books only exist for him to get drunk and write, its the total surrender of rationality to the act

there's nothing else in his books other than the act of blowing his brain out infront of the typewriter

if you were to tell this shit about self-acceptance to him he would punch you, you are a faggot and didn't understand anything
>>
Please stop making bukowski threads
>>
>>9606200
>doesn't understand the point
>misses the themes
>assumes that a work has neither
I mean far be it from me to say what the author intended, but I think his work has all of those things, and often overtly so. Like my point about him accepting himself, it's practically what his ouvre is about--because he had all of these circumstances which made him hate who he was, but in writing he could put himself out there and consider it and I think by the time he found success which is later in life, he had really come to accept, not to hate or love, his own person; I'm probably reading into it because I've heard interviews by him or whatever, but I think this theme is something that is sorely lacking in modern/postmodern fiction and something that people usually just cast off as meaningless but it is huge and not easy to accomplish.
>>
>>9606200
Also I don't mean he was writing about self acceptance I mean he had to have that in order to write like he did. And people just right it off as faggotry but the real pussyfag thing to do is live your life in barely contained rage because you want to be something you're not so fucking badly but you can't ever admit that you will never be that person.
>>
>>9607595
*write it off
Ofc
>>
bukowski is the spitting image of my dad. and i can tell you RIGHT NOW that my dad is now where near selfacceptance. he's just bitter and lonely and sarcastic about it.
>>
I think Buk's chief achievement was his craftsmanship - even during his worst benders, he still maintained an iron discipline of writing, rereading and editing, resulting in well-crafted pieces of writing.

All this while living the kind of life that is hardly conducive to any productive or creative activity whatsoever.

for that alone we have to hand it to him.
>>
>>9607598
Does your dad write poems every day? That is the difference I mean, writing about all his shit so openly and publishing and doing readings. These are things which require some guts some sense of the self and acceptance. Maybe not? Anyway I'm off to work.
>>
>>9607600
I agree. He said in an interview though that he had to write that it was the only time he felt good or something like that. I'm trying to make writing like that for me. I don't think if it was hard work that Bukowski would have even done it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.