[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we please talk about this book? Despite its gimmicky (as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: House of Leaves cover.jpg (231KB, 1104x1475px) Image search: [Google]
House of Leaves cover.jpg
231KB, 1104x1475px
Can we please talk about this book? Despite its gimmicky (as some say) layout and some peoples' problem with the Johnny Truant narrative, House of Leaves really is beautifully written. It's also incredibly clever with the insane variety of ways the book as a whole can be interpreted, plus the incredible number of ways Danielewski conveys emotion, meaning and imagery is amazing. Take for example the chapter (by Zampano) on echoes: at first the chapter seems out of place and irrelevant, boring even, but it adds to the horror of the novel in a way which only the format presented by the author can achieve. The many ways darkness is described and presented in the book are in themselves frightening and Lovecraftian. Even many parts of Johnny Truant's story are like this, although on a different level and with different nuances. The subplot of his relationship with his mother and father are subtle and can only be deciphered by inference and reading in-between the lines. There are moments in Johnny's narrative (in particular the opening chapter and his concluding chapter) that are some of the most memorable in the book. I do not understand why there is so much hate for House of Leaves on /lit/. It is an incredibly nuanced novel, subtly written and gifted with many, many Easter eggs and ways of interpretation.
>>
It's a great idea. I don't know if the execution is as strong as it could be though. It's definitely his best work by a mile or so.
It would get more hype if he had written more books like it.
>>
yeah I'd agree that /lit/ gives House of Leaves too much shit. It's definitely gimmicky but it's also a one-of-a-kind read: it's written pretty well given the kind of writing involved, and HoL is fantastic at setting up an atmosphere. I remember reading the book and being legitimately plagued by anxiety the whole time, not just while I was reading it but even when I took breaks and that is something that no horror novel has been able to do with me so far (granted I don't read much horror). I had a panic attack in the shower one time during the two weeks I took to read it, and I had not had a panic attack in years at that point. I love that you brought up the Echoes chapter, because I think it was one of the most clever moments in the book: like you said, when you're reading it you feel as if it's pointless, but I believe at the end of the chapter following it, Zampano describes the father playing with his young daughter and how you hear the daughter whisper "always", but then Zampano describes how "always" sounds like the echo of "hallways". That part blew me away, not because it was an incredible revelation, but because of how at that moment, you realize that the Echo chapter did have a point after all and it became clear that it would serve as very important later on. Anyway, I think that it is a fantastic modern novel, nothing groundbreaking, which is perhaps why /lit/ hates it so much, but it's a fun novel nonetheless, definitely very interesting.
>>
>>9603038
It's not his best work. Only Revolutions and The Familiar both blow this out of the water .
>>
>>9604184
go to bed danielewski.
The new ideas aren't commercial.
>>
>>9604187
Only Revolution is one of these least commercial novels, much less so than HoL.

I don't get why no one on /lit/ wants to discuss The Familiar. It's denser than HoL and will likely solidify Danny Looskie as the Proust of our century
>>
File: image.jpg (307KB, 1444x1083px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
307KB, 1444x1083px
Whoa I almost made a new thread about HoL glad you like it OP
>>
File: image.jpg (378KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
378KB, 2048x1536px
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
>>
File: image.jpg (305KB, 1444x1083px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305KB, 1444x1083px
>>
>>9606101
>>9606106
>>9606118
>>9606124

HoL would be more widely celebrated if the printing gimmicks were a fraction less convoluted. It's shit like this that makes people overlook the genuinely great story.
>>
>>9607537
To me what's great about this book is that you cant have the same experience with a tablet or audiobook. This pages with the gimmicks only work on print.
>>
>>9608041
Absolutely, it has a really tactile quality. I just meant that the literary community will scoff at it because it flouts common aesthetic rules. If you retained the Zampano/Truant framing device but did away with pages like the ones above, it's a postmodern masterpiece. The formatting is cool, but it's ultimately not essential to the book's greatness as much as the mindfuckery and erudite references.
>>
as a graphic designer and illustrator I find some of his work interesting, some of it very amateurish, like in The Familiar which has a lot of crappy design, but good parts as spread out through it. Still HOL and The Familiar are very gimmicky, you cant escape that, you can like the work and ideas and characters but it's a major flaw that most of the formatting has no point.
>>
How would you anons think a House of Leaves videogame should be? i know many any here dont play games but I for one rather see a game rather than a movie.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.