[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this worth getting? Some people hate the Fagles translations.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: fagles.jpg (68KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fagles.jpg
68KB, 1000x1000px
Is this worth getting? Some people hate the Fagles translations. What's wrong with them?
>>
I bought that same copy of the aeneid yesterday.
>>
>>9598912
>Some people hate the Fagles translations.
Contrarian hipsters. It's a popular translation so now therefore it sucks.
>>
Fagles is god-tier. For Homer, its the story that is important, less so is how literal or poetic the translation is. You get no extra meaning from different translations of Homer. Fagles reads really well, those editions have great introductions and the average person will find them enjoyable to read.
>>
File: 67568568568.jpg (71KB, 528x720px) Image search: [Google]
67568568568.jpg
71KB, 528x720px
>>9598921
If you suspect your autism will get the better of you then I would recommend buying some other versions though, because they haven't even lined up the backs.

But for the translation its really good also these books in particular got some really nice introductions
>>
>>9598912
Nothing, It's seriously great.
>>9598928
I disagree with this dude. I would say Fagle's handling of combat was better than every other one's I've read and definitely got closer to what I hope Homer was going for.
The introductions are so good, but the Odyssey and Illiad's intros overlap a lot.
>>
>>9598921
>>9598928
>>9598936
Thanks, I'll go ahead and get that set then. Was expecting this thread to be flooded with negative reviews
>>
>>9598921
>accessible modern translation
>only hipsteers hate thiiis x(((
>>
>>9598912
It's not hard to look up different translations and choose your favourite. But afaik the main complaint with Fagles is that he gets too contemporary/colloquial.
>>
So which translation of homer is the most literal?
>>
>>9599078
Lattimore is the go-to 'scholarly' one. Although Merrill did one retaining Homer's meter, the famous pterodactylic hexagon.
>>
>>9598912

Fagles takes liberties to make the translation readable and rhyme.

It works as a translation because it preserves the spirit and rhythm and the liberties aren't big enough to damage interpretation. It is a great example of properly walking the tightrope of poetry translation.
>>
>>9599181
How do you retain a meter in another language and stay literal?
>>
>>9599193
Not actually literal, just noteworthy as a way to get closer to the original.
>>
>>9598936
how is that american indian book?
>>
Personally, i really like Lattimore's Iliad. I also really enjoy sparse narratives like the Hebrew Bible, so the style doesn't bother me
>>
>>9598912
I remember buying that box set used on amazon for 17 bucks. A real steal.
>>
Would anyone recommend Alexander Pope's translations?
>>
>>9599327
haven't read it yet, picked it up from a used bookstore a few days ago

looked interesting but I wonder how authentic the myths and legends are, seeing how im pretty sure the natives didn't write any of it down

It is a large book after all with around 500 pages.

although i'm not American so maybe i'm underestimating how much of their culture and legends really survived.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.