[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any thoughts on this book/author? I really enjoyed Sapiens but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Homo_Deus.jpg (24KB, 332x499px) Image search: [Google]
Homo_Deus.jpg
24KB, 332x499px
Any thoughts on this book/author?

I really enjoyed Sapiens but felt like this one was pretty meme-ish
>>
I think it is good that someone ponders about the future but can't say I was all that impressed
>>
I really liked Sapiens, excited to read Deus. It's a shame /lit/ doesn't talk much about non-fiction.
>>
Dataism sucks.
Read John Gray's review of the damn thing, he articulates better than anyone why this book is a massive meme.
>>
>>9594783
>scientism meme
Religious fundamentalists are really against the ropes if they're resorting to this.
>>
>>9594861
Really?

>It’s an arresting vision. If you think about it, however, the prospect that the human species could “upgrade itself” to godhood melts away. “Humanity” can’t become God, because “humanity” does not exist. All that actually exists is the multifarious human animal, with its historic enmities and intractable divisions.

So far he just seems obtuse.
>>
>>9594536
It seems more like the author just picked a bunch of shit he thought was interesting and tried to see how far into the future that shit would help humanity based on historical anecdotes.

Good for him for contemplating shit and getting rich public figures to say they like it, but it's not much better than going to a group of Pre-K kids and asking what they think of the future.
>In fact, they'd probably come up with more interesting shit, like a Neal Stephenson book's premise that's actually carried throughout the whole book instead of a garbled text that reads like a fucking horseraddish in a blender with dull blades.
>whirrrrr, clack-clack-clack, vrrrrrrrn, crack
>>
>>9594940
What? Humanism IS a meme, which is to say the vision of humanity as a singular, special animal with a universal history and the ability to conceive of and complete projects for itself as a unit.
>>
>>9594536
I agree whole heartedly with ye. LOVED sapiens, thought deus was meh
>>
>homo deus
I found my new religion
>>
>>9594536
>TEDtalk tier shill for technocapital
no thanks

transhumanism is becoming the established religion among STEMfags and the liberal classes in general. Just look at how redditors worship elon musk, a completely mediocre human, as if he was already a demigod of some sort. It's a reassuring fantasy for a world faced with unprecedented moral and increasingly economic immiseration. It's also a politically convenient fantasy. Back in the USSR, children were taught technocratic utopia was imminent. Post scarcity would arrive somewhere before the turn of the millenium. everything would be free and maybe you won't even have to die after all. What happened after 1989 made it all seem like a cruel joke.
>>
>>9594536
The first one was solid, though there were many things that were contested.

In general, I try to be suspicious of the ((people)) who invented pilpul.
>>
I liked the discussion of the various forms of humanism that have arisen in the 20th century. The problem, I think, is that most of the book is a rehash of Sapiens. Sapiens was a great book, concise and lucid and seemingly the culmination of years of long and careful thought. I think Homo Deus was rushed as a sequel after the enormous success of Sapiens. Not bad, by any means, but you're better off just reading Sapiens.

I hope he takes more time with his next book, because Sapiens was a real delight to read.
>>
>>9596811
Have you even read the book, or are you just talking shit? He literally discusses exactly what you're talking about.
>>
>>9597134
why should I pollute my brain with redditcore/NPR/TED garbage? one should be careful about not reading too many bad books. Specially if everyone else is reading them. That's also why watching 'game of thrones', even ironically, makes you visibly stupider, reduces you to the level of subhuman cattle.
>>
>>9597206
I'll take that as a no.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.