[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do the readers of YA novels actually care about worldbuilding,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Do the readers of YA novels actually care about worldbuilding, or is it all a pretext for drama?

Megalacrosse City: a futuristic dystopia where your social ranking is determined by lacrosse skill! Can Namina McProtagonist find the golden lacrosse related object, or will she be sidetracked by a protracted and angsty love quandrangle with three hot billionaire lacrosse captains?
>>
Why does /lit/ obsess over people reading YA novels? Are you all so desperately insecure that you need to bully people anonymously on the internet to feel better? Why not discuss books you actually read and like?
>>
2013 was a long time ago. I believe dystopian settings have fallen out of fashion to an extent. Bigger focus on inclusivity. If you were trying to cash in I would recommend finding some excuse to make every character bisexual, though you'll still want your heroine's true love interest to be a boy.
>>
>>9593903
Does that mean YA scifi is out of fashion?

YA is generally pretty stereotyped, so the plot is that everything is fucked up, and scifi is futuristic, therefore YA scifi is dystopian.
>>
>>9594089
>Does that mean YA scifi is out of fashion?

A little. Seems to me that John Green style real world settings are in vogue.
>>
>>9594165
I think that's just the people who like John Green.
>>
File: 432421.jpg (14KB, 456x320px) Image search: [Google]
432421.jpg
14KB, 456x320px
>>9593903
>2013 was a long time ago
>>
>>9593848

>Megalacrosse City: a futuristic dystopia where your social ranking is determined by lacrosse skill! Can Namina McProtagonist find the golden lacrosse related object, or will she be sidetracked by a protracted and angsty love quandrangle with three hot billionaire lacrosse captains?

I'd read the shit out of that, desu.
>>
Explain to me how Infinite Jest isn't Megalacrosse City but with tennis
Go on I'll wait.
>>
>>9593848

The Seventh Tower by Garth Nix is a world in perpetual night where people in a castle enslave otherworldly creatures in the form of tangible shadows and hoard all of the magical light from matriarchal vikings.

He is truly the best worldbuilder in YA fantasy.
>>
>>9593875
the board culture is to be elitist high literature snobs but most of the users are actually teenagers who actually enjoy reading books for teenagers but also want to fit in so they can't admit the truth and have to constantly talk trash about YA novels to convince themselves they don't like them
>>
>>9596757
Dropping truth bombs ITT
>>
>>9593848
>worldbuilding
That's not Literature, someone has to tell you.
>>
>>9593848
>Do the readers of YA novels actually care about worldbuilding, or is it all a pretext for drama?

Why the preoccupation with worldbuilding? If you can make it work, fine. If its not necessary for the story or you're an unimaginative shit, don't try. You're so mad OP I can feel the anger coming in waves from my screen. Just build a setting and write a good story. Stop shitposting.
>>
>>9597744
There's no link between how cutting a remark is and its level of anger. Angry people are stupid. I am just dismissive.

Worldbuilding here means setting, since most YA is fantastical and takes place in another world.

Make it work, etc? Not sure what you're getting at. Character drama without a setting or a context is just puppet theatre. Importantina and the Three Dicks.
>>
>>9597791
I suppose I should clarify that I am wondering how economical the setting should be. I don't like wasting effort. On the other hand, I feel that excessively economical or perfunctory settings ("Megalacrosse City") make a story lack weight. My question in the OP was actually sincere, mind-boggling as that may be.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.