[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nowadays, how does one get the status of 'thinker'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: CIMG0101-01[1].jpg (49KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
CIMG0101-01[1].jpg
49KB, 460x345px
Nowadays, how does one get the status of 'thinker' or 'public intellectual'? What's the path to it? As far as I imagine, it's something like this:

>have a PhD in a relevant field
>have a blog/podcast where you publish your opinions
>get noticed
>become a columnist in a major newspaper/news website

I'm not sure about the academic part. It does give some weight, but I think that providing interesting content is still more important.
>>
>>9590756
That's literally it. Just look at that taleb fucker. Dude is literally alt right (which is fine, he's entitled to his opinion) but the only reason anyone takes him seriously is because of his background in mathematics/physics
>>
>>9590756
turn yourself into a product because thats what the system wants from you
>>
evolve/produce/discover one really good intellectual meme and repeat ad nauseam until the next meme is basically impossible to think of without namedropping you
>>
>Be a tenured professor
>Provoke a small obnoxious group of people that the majority of society hates
>wait until they protest your lectures
>Take the entire group on single-handedly
>Capture it all on film
>Go on the Joe Rogan podcast.
>>
>>9590995
rogan 's destiny is to become the oprah winfrey for men
>>
>>9590995
>A wave of pseuds are suddenly born
>Some of these transcend pseudom
>Real value is created
>>
>>9590756
> thinly disguised journalist thread

4chan is kill
>>
>>9590998
I'm sorry, I can't take him seriously. he's like a self-referencing parody of himself
>>
first you need to eat a dog poo
>>
If your objective is to be a "public intellectual", you will definitely not be one.
>>
>>9590998
Never thought of it that way, I think you're right in a lot of ways.
>>9591914
I don't see where you're getting that.
"Public Intellectual" seems to mean political intellectual these days. Either that or write a controversial book.
Maybe it's just controversial. Being controversial is how anyone in art seems to get to the top, media seems to feed off controversy and it becomes a self-fulfilling loop. If you look at the rise of talk radio, it was the same. First they report on it as being "fringe", then it gets a fanbase(like peterson), then it gets more attention, then because of that attention more content floods out and then copycats start appearing.
Recently I was thinking that Michael Malice on JRE was a lot like Milo, I think it's the same culture reaction at work. Be against whatever is perceived to be popular, I guess.
>>
>Get noticed
Pretty much this. All you need is an audience and once you got them listening and they call you deep and you are able to argue your point.
Well iguess id have to add one more
>Know how to debate
>>
>>9590756
>tfw you will never buy bread with zizek
>>
>>9591956
Not entirely true. But there seen to be a lot of truth to it.
>>
>>9590857
Taleb is woke af, don't you dare disparage that man.
>>
>>9590857
>only reason anyone takes him seriously is because of his background in mathematics/physics
The only reason authoritarians take him seriously is because of his background. The reason normal people take him seriously is because he walks his talk and made money in the GFC of 2007-2008. His arguments are also solid and easily understood.
>>
File: _92274782_jordanpeterson-still.jpg (50KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
_92274782_jordanpeterson-still.jpg
50KB, 1024x576px
>>9590756

be a great charismatic speaker and just say a bunch a cliche bullshit and quote a bunch of writers and philosophers and people will think you're some deep thinker.

pic-related
>>
>Get worldly experience
>Go innaArmy, be a journalist, be "embedded" with some faction in the middle East or European fringe, etc.
>Write for a long time
>Have very strong opinions and voice them openly
>Be willing to stand by them and take every chance for publicity you're offered
>Always agree to countless debates, panels, etc.

It's a pretty simple formula, it just has a lot to do with you and your ability to write well/convincingly. How do you think pre-New Atheist Hitch did it?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.