[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you feel as if reading literature has made more empathetic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 0697540987626.png (126KB, 1500x1383px) Image search: [Google]
0697540987626.png
126KB, 1500x1383px
Do you feel as if reading literature has made more empathetic of a person?

My professor is doing a study on this right now, and I thought it was mildly interesting. I'm curious as to what the monolithic aberration of unfeeling autism that is /lit/ would have to say.
>>
File: A happy pepe.jpg (170KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
A happy pepe.jpg
170KB, 800x800px
no
>>
>>9587891
I'm redpilled now. I hate more than ever. Especially women and minorities. Their simply subhuman
>>
>>9587891
Depends on what you are reading
>>
Yes, but in a narcissistic, im-so-deep-for-recognizing-this kinda way
>>
>>9587891
Reading literature is getting to know different point of view so it makes you more open to others as you get to understand more. So i guess this makes you empathetix to their feelings and their own point of view.
>>
>>9587973
this
>>
>>9587973
>>9587973
I kind of get that.
But for me I can look at what a person is doing, and understand the general mindset: why they are doing it. I can even sympathize with why they would do it, whatever underlying cause that I can interpret.

But I still tend to look down on the person in question because usually the logic and consequent action is so far-flung from what I would do that I can't help but think of it as idiotic. At the same time I'm an anxious, clumsy mess in the presence of others, and it makes me sort of angry that everybody isn't like this. I used to think confidence was just a capacity I didn't have: but I started to think that maybe people seem confident to me solely on the basis that they don't actually think things through before doing them, i.e. they don't care insofar that anybody is witnessing their action, or that their action has meaning.

I un-ironically can't think of the general public as anything but plebeians and myself as some kind of modern-age aristocrat: which is definitely not good. But I don't know how to stop.
>>
No. A lifetime of reading instead of socializing has left me incapable of dealing with humans.
>>
>>9587891
No but it has changed me

Instead of playing video games or watching a movie/tv show I get more enjoyment out of reading something, thing is it wasn't always this way I just fucked up my mind and don't get enjoyment from games or movies any more
>>
>>9587891
In a weird way. On the one hand, it's made me more empathetic, but on the other it's made me want to spend as much time as I can alone.
>>
>>9587891
Genuinely, yes.
from reading Woolf mostly. And Faulkner, Dosto, Baldwin. Writers with a lot of insight to human vulnerability without distorting it with ego
>>
It's "empathic" not "empathetic"-the latter being a variant arising from the tendency to conflate the term with the similar "sympathetic".
>>
>>9588035
Think of all the ways in which others are successful and how their simple-minded decisions are effective and especially in retrospect appear to be ideal. Consider that you're overthinking because you are the stupid one without a clue. It's like some people succumb to self-analysis and only sink deeper into depression and uncertainty, whereas others, highly successful in life, have never self-analyzed nor doubted themselves and but laugh at the notion. Learn humility the hard way.
>>
>>9587891
It desensitized me, so no.
>>
>>9587952
*they're*
>>
>>9588035
Confidence is not exactly how you describe it. Confidence is the product of extended consideration and practice. It doesn't matter the arena. Sports, music, writing, conversation. When you say that confident people are just not thinking things through, that's only half-correct. They don't need to think things through, because they've been in those situations before and now anticipate the multiple outcomes. Their fluency appears to the layman to be raw talent, some magical x factor, because the layman can't see the scaffolding under the roof.
>>
>>9587891
>My professor is doing a study on this right now
Your professor would do well in reading Wikipedia.
It has a collection of entries regarding empathy.
Then he would know that reading in itself has no effect on empathy.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.