[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best critique of empiricism you know that isn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: David%20Hume[1].jpg (44KB, 346x380px) Image search: [Google]
David%20Hume[1].jpg
44KB, 346x380px
What's the best critique of empiricism you know that isn't Kantian or some variation of "muh maths and logics"? I wanna believe in meme magic not in fucking toadman's fork
>>
>>9587211
empiricist: the only legitimate claims are those which are known through sensory experience
skeptic: how did you find out what you just said from sensory experience?
>>
>>9587211
Well, you could stop reading things. Watch a lot of MSM and game shows and junk.
>>
>>9587231
>skeptic: how did you find out what you just said from sensory experience?
And the empiricist be like psychological certainty

Don't bother. Empiricism culminates in skepticism, IS skepticism. Kant figured that shit out way back which is why he was such a sperg because obviously (to him) science and rational justifications for ethics existed.

I just don't find him that convincing. Probably too high iq 4 me
>>
>>9587211
Wittgenstein according to Anthony Kenny killed Empiricism.
>>
>>9587211

Empiricism was killed by Sellars and Quine in the 1950s.

The basic idea is that the empiricist idea of a fundamental difference between empirical content and non empirical content is deeply flawed, hence the very idea of grounding knowledge in 'empirical data' or 'sense data' is nonsense.
>>
>>9587389
Read Copleston you faggot, and quit shilling that shitty history book.
>>
>>9587400
>Quine

yeah, pragmatism in general is a good non-kantian, non-rationalist alternative to empiricism
>>
>>9588268
Is it really that much of an alternative though? As far as I understand pragmatism just builds on David Hume
>>
>>9588684

Well, if you think that 'empiricism' is just the claim that 'experience' is important/fundamental when we theorize about the world then yes, there's not that much of a difference between Quine's pragmatism and 'empiricism'.

In philosophy, 'empiricism' designates a family of theories that share substantial metaphysical ideas(e.g., that there's a fundamental difference between logical/mathematical claims and empirical claims) and epistemological ideas(e.g., that relevant evidence is either empirical evidence or logical/mathematical proof), and in this sense Quine's pragmatism is fundamentally different.
>>
File: 34234234.jpg (63KB, 480x608px) Image search: [Google]
34234234.jpg
63KB, 480x608px
>>9587231
Reminds me of pic related
>>
>>9587211
Fodorian modularity of the mind
>>
Literally supernatural shit. Go to /x/ and start to take what you see there seriously. That will cure you of empiricism real quick.
>>
ugly hume
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.