[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw sophocles wrote over 120 plays >tfw only 7 of them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 50

File: 1495288716416.png (127KB, 534x640px) Image search: [Google]
1495288716416.png
127KB, 534x640px
>tfw sophocles wrote over 120 plays
>tfw only 7 of them exist today
any other feels like this?
>>
File: 1421333795253.jpg (79KB, 403x498px) Image search: [Google]
1421333795253.jpg
79KB, 403x498px
>>9587058
>Kubrick never directed Napoleon
>>
>>9587058
>any other feels like this?

You think you have profound thoughts but you will die as less than a speck of dust on the spectrum of humanity
>>
>>9587058
>the entire fucking library of Alexandria
>>
>>9587058
This sort of thing always get me. Especially when one of the surviving works references one of the lost ones.
>>
>>9587097
This one hurts
>>
>Own a book that contains everything written by Hesiod that is known of.
>At the beggining there's the 3 poems that are preserved.
>Then it goes into the more incomplete poems, which are understandable to a certain extent.
>By the end of it it's just a bunch of loose words and phrases.
>>
>>9587097
>Philip Glass never made the operas on the lives of Adolf Hitler and Charlie Chaplin
>>
>>9587058
>we may only have access to Plato's and Aristotle's lecture notes/exercises, and not their direct works
>>
>>9587107
I am still mad
>>
>>9587136
>Aristotle was supposed to have been a great public expositor of philosophy
>dialogues supposed to be superior to even Plato's
>tfw none of them survive and all we have left are dry as fuck lecture notes that are impossible to read
>>
File: 1491534955822.jpg (22KB, 346x450px) Image search: [Google]
1491534955822.jpg
22KB, 346x450px
>>9587106
that doesn't really concern me though.
>>9587107
I forgot about this, fucking sand niggers also torched a bunch of pajeet universities too.
>>
>>9587130
Is the intact stuff really good?
>>
>Ancient Greek literature is Christian fanfic from the 10th-14th century
>>
>>9587130
>Sappho's work so badly fragmented translators have to insert words to make it make sense
>>
File: 29Jan1258-SiegeBaghdad.jpg (758KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
29Jan1258-SiegeBaghdad.jpg
758KB, 1024x768px
>so many books were thrown into the Tigris River, according to one writer, that they formed a bridge that would support a man on horseback

http://www.historyofinformation.com/expanded.php?id=294
>>
>almost none of the comedies survived

sad
>>
>>9587172
Are the Mongols the true villains of history?
>>
>>9587058
To you op and those who lament the loss of great art or life I think you might enjoy this song
https://youtu.be/ky9Ro9pP2gc
Lyrics
The cause is Ozymandian
The map of Sapokanikan
Is sanded and bevelled
The land lone and levelled
By some unrecorded and powerful hand
Which plays along the monument
And drums upon a plastic bag
The brave-men-and-women-so-dear-to-God-
And-famous-to-all-of-the-ages rag
Sang: Do you love me?
Will you remember?
The snow falls above me
The renderer renders:
The event is in the hand of God
Beneath a patch of grass, her
Bones the old Dutch master hid
While elsewhere Tobias
And the angel disguise
What the scholars surmise was a mother and kid
Interred with other daughters
In dirt in other potters' fields
Above them, parades
Mark the passing of days
Through parks where pale colonnades arch in marble and steel
Where all of the twenty-thousand attending your footfall
And the causes they died for are lost in the idling bird calls
And the records they left are cryptic at best
Lost in obsolescence
The text will not yield, nor x-ray reveal
With any fluorescence
Where the hand of the master begins and ends
I fell, I tried to do well but I won't be
Will you tell the one that I love to remember and hold me
I call and call for the doctor
But the snow swallows me whole with ol' Florry Walker
And the event lives only in print
He said:
"It's alright"
And "It's all over now"
And boarded the plane
His belt unfastened
The boy was known to show unusual daring
And, called a "boy"
This alderman, confounding Tammany Hall
In whose employ King Tamanend himself preceeded John’s fall
So we all raise a standard
To which the wise and honest soul may repair
To which a hunter
A hundred years from now, may look and despair
And see with wonder
The tributes we have left to rust in the parks
Swearing that our hair stood on end
To see John Purroy Mitchel depart
For the Western front where our work might count
O mercy! O God!
Go out, await the hunter to decipher the stone
And what lies under the city is gone
Look and despair
Look and despair
>>
>>9587160
Theogony is pretty good but it can get a little boring if you don't have a background knowledge and are interested in greek mythology.
One thing you should keep in mind is that as a mythological book it's also an interpretation of the physical world, like for example, when Hesiod says that Ocean is the son of Gea and Uranus, what he means is that the rivers were born from the skies and the earth and shit like that.

Works and Days is 10/10 comfy book and a must read imo.

The shield is good, not god tier but it's good enough to keep you interested and not all that long.
>>
File: 1487094854749.jpg (85KB, 804x802px) Image search: [Google]
1487094854749.jpg
85KB, 804x802px
>>9587107

Hehe, c'mon..bunch of old books. H-how important could *that* ever have been..?
>>
>>9587179
Depends on who you ask, but causing rivers to run black with printers' ink for seven days is always a kind of a no-no in my book. A search for 'Hulagu Khan quotes' turns up pretty much what you would expect.

>It is recorded however that he resorted to Buddhism as he neared his death, against the will of his Christian wife Dokuz Khatun (Jackson 2005, 176).

But hey at least he sorted himself out at the end though

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Hulagu_Khan
>>
>>9587189
You give it a good sell senpai. Must be disappointing in a way knowing there's more work from that person and you'll never lay eyes on it because it no longer exists
>>
>the moon landing tapes got erased
>>
File: 1449985809614.jpg (703KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1449985809614.jpg
703KB, 1080x1080px
>all those ruins Schliemann blew up with dynamite
>>
File: 1427394539967.jpg (71KB, 707x743px) Image search: [Google]
1427394539967.jpg
71KB, 707x743px
>only two books(Iliad/Odyssey) survived from the Epic Cycle
>>
>>9587136
We kind of know Plato's dialogues are his "direct work" nowadays. Nevertheless, they are only promotional material for the Academy. Plato reputedly said the teachings he's really serious about cannot be communicated in writing. His so-called unwritten doctrines are the field of research especially of the Tübingen school.
>>
>>9587260
>all of western philosophy is a footnote to an ancient promotional material
>>
>>9587275
Ol' Broadshoulders is just that good.
>>
>>9587182
that's a great song.
>>
>>9587275
Reeeeeee!!!
>>
>>9587182
Can't tell what I think about this song

One of the weirdest things I've heard in a while but strangely compelling. Her voice is as if oscillating on the verge between beautiful and inept.
>>
>>9587097
one of the greatest tragedies of art history
>>
>>9587384
it has a charm to it, she was also recovering from an illness too.
>>
>>9587163
>Ancient Greek literature is Christian fanfic from the 10th-14th century

wat?

Ancient Greek (BC) is Christian (AD) fanfic?

How does that work (without time travel)?
>>
>>9587319
>>9587384
>>9587393
Good to here people like she's a great lyricist. It's a shame people are put off by the tonality of her voice I love it personally.
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Joanna-newsom-sapokanikan-lyrics
References in her lyrics are brilliant as well. So sad but she sings it so sweetly. PTA directed music video as well
>>
>>9587528
Hear people like it^*
>>
Is it right to say that nothing like this could ever happen in the information age or am I being naive?
>>
>>9587636
other than nuclear war, or extinction events due to climate change, I'd hope not.
>>
>>9587107

WHYYYYYYYY

HOW COULD THEY
>>
>>9587636
I've thought about this quite a bit

on the one hand, every piece of news, literature, even Facebook feed is meticulously catalogued online

on the other hand, I don't think it's unlikely that the internet as we know it will not exist in 50 years
>>
>we've probably seen the last tome from Pynchon
>>
michael mann not making a movie based on my diary desu
>>
>>9587636
It's all built on sand, mate.
>>
File: 1468169604917.png (211KB, 550x578px) Image search: [Google]
1468169604917.png
211KB, 550x578px
>pale king
>unfinished
>>
>>9587675
shut up!
>>
>Milton's Arthurian epic
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Rocket
>After releasing 1977's Eraserhead, a black-and-white surrealist film and his début feature-length production,[6] Lynch began work on the screenplay for Ronnie Rocket. Lynch and his agent Marty Michaelson, of William Morris Endeavor, initially attempted to find financial backing for the project.[7] They met with one film studio on the matter, with Lynch describing the film to them as being "about electricity and a three-foot guy with red hair"; the studio never got in touch again.[8]
>>
>>9587058
>no surviving Cardenio to see what shakes thought of Cervantes
>>
>>9587702
>lynch
spotted the pleb
>>
File: Like tears in the rain scoob.jpg (10KB, 242x207px) Image search: [Google]
Like tears in the rain scoob.jpg
10KB, 242x207px
In his time, Herman Melville was regarded mostly as an utter failure of a writer, and all of what we would consider his 'greatest works' were basically spurned or ignored. His first son shot himself (accidentally) and immediately died. His second son died some year later. He continued to write in spite of all that -- until his death, with his final work being Billy Budd, another story about the sea, left unfinished and unpublished at his death bed.

He had no knowledge of his success as an author past his first work, Typee -- which was really just a glorified travel brochure. Consider being lauded as "the man who lived among the cannibals" and not "the man who wrote good books".

I can only imagine that it was defeating.
>>
The family of guy who discovered the Nag Hammadi library burned a large portion of the papryus as fuel.

Aristotle's missing second book of Poetics about comedy.

All the early films shot on nitrate that crumbled to piece.
>>
>>9587854
I wonder if Melville truly knew how great MD was. Its such a shame the critics/public were such kunts to him.
>>
>None of Diogenes's books or plays are extant.
>>
>>9588193
>tfw i had to look up extant
>>
File: IMG_1649.jpg (299KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1649.jpg
299KB, 800x400px
>Jodorowski's Dune
>>
>>9587636
>old information stored in some proprietary format or encrypted
>nobody keeps a copy of the device to read the format or the encryption key

Don't forget that most will think someone else is archiving or backing it up.
>>
>As Hughes and Sylvia Plath were legally married at the time of her death, Hughes inherited the Plath estate, including all her written work. Hughes has been condemned repeatedly for burning Plath's last journal, saying he "did not want her children to have to read it."[78] He lost another journal and an unfinished novel and instructed that a collection of Plath's papers and journals should not be released until 2013.[78][79] Hughes has been accused of attempting to control the estate for his own ends, although royalties from Plath's poetry were placed into a trust account for their two children, Frieda and Nicholas.[80][81]

Why would you do this? Fucking idiot
>>
>>9587107
>literally the entire works of the aztec nation

FUCKING CONQUISTADORS YOU CONQUISTAWHORES we only have like four left at most.
>>
>>9588258
So...its not 2013 anymore. What happened?
>>
>>9587675
>Pynchon is probably already dead
>>
>>9587058
Don't other Greek scholars say the plays we have are pretty much the best? Maybe having other plays would make him less renowned because it'd be diamonds in a sea of mediocrity.
>>
>>9588258
Nothing of value is lost.
>>
>>9588602
If we let Shakespeare contemporaries pick the plays they pass on to us we would have a bunch of bullshit comedies but no King Lear
>>
>During his exile in 1822, Byron named the Irish poet Thomas Moore (1779-1852) as his literary executor and handed him a manuscript of his personal memoirs which he wanted to be published at a later date.

>But with Byron dead, and the public clamouring for anything bearing his name, Murray made a decision. Having been presented with the two volumes of Byron’s memoirs by Moore, he decided he had to act.

>Byron’s memoirs had to be destroyed.

>With the agreement of five of Byron’s friends and executors of his will (and with the only opposition coming from Moore), the men set about pulling apart the pages and burning the pages in the fireplace of the drawing room.

>Whatever Byron had written, Murray believed the memoirs were so scandalous they would forever damage Byron’s reputation, and possibly his own should he ever publish them. Even Moore, who in 1832 wrote a biography of Byron and was heavily criticised for allowing the memoirs to be destroyed, never divulged their contents.

T-thanks
>>
>>9588258
>Why would you do this? Fucking idiot

>wife is public figure
>wife is mentally ill
>letting the entire world in on your relationship's private business

before facebook, people used to have self-respect, and respect for one's loved ones, and the deceased.
>>
>We only have one full Menander play
>Aeschylus was also renowned for his satyr plays but none survive
>Only one satyr play by Euripides survives
>Aristophanes most popular work didn't survive
>>
>>9588638
>store them in a secure location
>don't have to destroy shit that family might want to read even if you never publicly release it

He also wrote poems about their personal life later on.
>>
>>9588612
This and also this >>9588638 (I agree with both -- not only is Sylvia Plath not that interesting and great of a literary figure, but there's also the element of respect)
>>
>>9588638
>In 2017 it was revealed that letters written by Plath between February 18, 1960 and February 4, 1963 claim that Hughes beat Plath two days before she had a miscarriage in 1961, and that Hughes told Plath he wished that she was dead. The letters were sent to Dr. Ruth Barnhouse (then Dr. Ruth Beuscher).

""""respect""""

He only destroyed them because he knew he was the reason why she killed herself.
>>
>>9587702
>We will never get the extended cut of Dune
>We will never get the full reel of Blue Velvet
>>
>>9588656
>not only is Sylvia Plath not that interesting and great of a literary figure
Let's see your Pulitzer, anon
>>
>>9587058
>so many lost or misattributed works from the Renaissance
>Bach didn't finish the Art of Fugue
>Mozart died young
>Schubert died young
the list goes on
>>
Cardenio by Shakespeare based on Don Quixote.

JUST
>>
File: 3061.jpg (996KB, 2504x2759px) Image search: [Google]
3061.jpg
996KB, 2504x2759px
why they gotta break the rock
>>
>Livy's History of Rome, sometimes referred to as Ab Urbe Condita,[i] is a monumental history of ancient Rome, written in Latin, between 27 and 9 BC.[ii] by the historian Titus Livius, or "Livy", as he is usually known in English. The work covers the period from the legends concerning the arrival of Aeneas and the refugees from the fall of Troy, to the city's founding in 753 BC, the expulsion of the Kings in 509 BC, and down to Livy's own time, during the reign of the emperor Augustus.[iii][iv] The last event covered by Livy is the death of Drusus in 9 BC.[2] About 25% of the work survives.[4]

>Livy's History of Rome was in high demand from the time it was published and remained so during the early years of the empire. Pliny the Younger reported that Livy's celebrity was so widespread, a man from Cadiz travelled to Rome and back for the sole purpose of meeting him.

You will never read the entire fucking gigantic omnibus history of Rome written by a guy taking decades.
>>
>>9588637
We can only hope they were right
>>9588659
.what drives people to be this fucking loathsome?
>>
File: 1423104091867.jpg (12KB, 285x278px) Image search: [Google]
1423104091867.jpg
12KB, 285x278px
>smartboy Greeks send out scholarly envoys to record the different societies in all the city states and the differences between them
>the only one that survives is FUCKING Athens because that's totally not the one we already have abundant information on
>>
File: pepe53.jpg (86KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
pepe53.jpg
86KB, 500x484px
>>9587058
>a significant portion of the Epic of Gilgemesh is lost to time forever
>it was a musical that could've taken up to a day to perform in its entirety
>it influenced religious beliefs throughout the region based only on what we see now
>we will never read the complete work or know the tabs and melodies to the songs

On a similar note

>we will never listen to the music of ancient rome
>the vast majority of roman culture in general was lost during the fall
>we will never listen to the music of ancient greece besides one or two tabs that survived without their lyrics
>we will never read the literary works of the aztecs and mayans
>we will never listen to the songs of ancient egypt

God fucking dammit we've lost so much.
>>
File: ?format=1500w.png (89KB, 1500x580px) Image search: [Google]
?format=1500w.png
89KB, 1500x580px
>>9587854
>tfw the similarities between me and Melville keep growing
>>
>>9588720
This hurts.
>>
>>9588720
There's music reconstructions. One of the classics professors at my university specializes in reconstructing music of the ancient greeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJKkt-V7D0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrGIPMAFSXU
>>
>>9588789
Romans in charge of art
>>
>>9588789
Thank you anon. I've started listening to the Ancient Roman video now.
What depresses me is that all we can do is roughly re-create it. We don't know for sure. Just like the Sumerian musical culture. They had a complex and thriving arts scene with complex and intermingled instrumentals, and we have no way of knowing how the music accompanied the song and poetry beyond wild guessword and loose re-creation.
>>
>>9588789
First vid sounds avant garde as fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0mkt6Z3I0
This shit is cool.
>>
Read The Missing Pieces by henri lefebvre

"In brief, laconic evocations, Henri Lefebvre lists a series of works that are either unfinished, lost, forgotten, destroyed, or that were never even made. This inventory of lacks becomes an incantation: if only for an instant, it transmits a presence to these “units” that had previously been lost to the history of human creativity and thought."
>>
>>9587854
I think this is one of the reasons Melville is such a respected writer, he embodies the true passion of writing - still going at it even when the world tells you to stop.
>>
File: image.jpg (210KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
210KB, 1024x680px
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the 2003 raid of the Iraq Museum. The enormity is incalculable, but in a way it shows that 'iconoclasm' isn't something we've entirely put behind us. History isn't only of the past. In a way, we're still in it, if that makes any damn sense.

Much of what was ruined weren't relics, or grave goods, but things easier to loot. Clay records of bargains struck and goods traded, to which we could otherwise derive insight into how regular people might've conducted their daily affairs.

Related pic is of a harp of Ur, torn to pieces for its gold inlays.
>>
Surely theres hope for at least some of the books? I mean maybe someone saved a book from the library of Alexandria? Maybe someone has passed down an ancient writing of *insert favourite ancient greek* to their family before they come forward and bring it to the world?
I want to believe. Lost literacy and in general history is one of the worst crimes imo.
>>
>>9588927
This is why secure countries should be tasked with the upkeep of important aritfacts, especially since Muslims are predominant in a lot of historically important regions. Make a EU or a UN museum somewhere and put all of the artifacts in there for christ sake. I hate these bastards.
>>
>>9587058

Huh? I don't understand. What you're saying is fact. Who else feels that way? Like, anybody who knows about it...
>>
>>9587107
>Conquest of Constantinople
Not /lit/ related but I'm still mad.
>>
>>9588942
The EU and US keep giving back artifacts to them. Germany gave back very valuable artifacts to Iraq in just 2006 for God only knows what reason, considering the country was unstable as fuck
>>
Dostoievsky didn't wrote Karamazov Brothers 2 electric bugaloo
Cervantes didn't wrote La Galatea 2 electric bugaloo
Goethe wrote Faust 2 electric bugaloo
>>
>>9589041
Meanwhile the UK won't even give the Elgin Marbles back to Greece. Justifiably so, I think.
>>
>>9587260
Are there more examples on philosophers who despised writing and preferred a more in-site approach to passing their wisdom? Any contemporary?
>>
>>9589175
No contemporary philosopher comes to mind, but Taoist and Zen Buddhist schools saw language itself as flawed in expounding upon ultimate truth. That is why they stressed a direct teacher-student relationship, and why many stories involve people gaining enlightenment by seeing monks do weird shit.
>>
>>9587179
How can it be if in Xanadu did Kubla Khan A stately pleasure dome decree?
>>
>>9587097
Wait was he considering directing a napoleon biopic?
>>
File: second-conquest-e1323658337476.jpg (239KB, 757x709px) Image search: [Google]
second-conquest-e1323658337476.jpg
239KB, 757x709px
>>9588969
>not the fourth crusade
>>
>>9589619
tbf the Byzantines kind of deserved it
>>
>>9589611
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stanley_Kubrick%27s_unrealized_projects#Napoleon
>>
>>9588278
they could've just exported the gold.
no one there even cared about that shiny useless medal
>inb4 decoration
>>
>>9588789
>this kind of spirituality is impossible today
>you will NEVER orgy in forests
>you will NEVER write hexameters to woo
>NEVER be ingrained classically that you breathe in Classic Greek.
>>
we will probably never see the construction of a visually stunning building again
>>
>>9588670
and just think about all the jazz genius that passed far too soon

>bud powell
>coltrane
>charlie parker
>clifford brown
>lee morgan

plus I'm sure many more. fucking drugs mang
>>
File: destorued.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
destorued.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>9589680
this one actually hurts man
>>
>>9588720
>>9588789
damn that's so cool but also so tragic

I know it's not the same but Respighi's Roman Festivals really captures the mood of Ancient Rome imo, especially the final movement, Epiphany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YDMsVsNBcA
>>
If I ever go back in time I wouldn't give a shit about meeting this cunt or seeing that battle. I would spend good 5 years copying and bringing back what we lost from ancient greek philosophy.

I mean there's entire schools of thought that we know only cause other people mention them.
>>
>>9589712
yes the Book of the Rose wouldn't make sense then, but who gives a shit
>>
>>9589712
If I ever went back in time, I'd bang Socrates
>>
>>9588646
>Aristophanes most popular work didn't survive

Which?
>>
>i've written seven novels
>none of them will be published
>>
>>9589041
It's a "de-colonisation" thing. Yeah, they were essentially stolen from their regions of origin which sucks, but if the countries that now exist in those regions don't have the resources to look after them, they shouldn't go back. I think some colonial guilt is a worthy pay-off for preserving priceless artifacts.
>>
>>9589080
>Dostoievsky didn't wrote Karamazov Brothers 2 electric bugaloo
Sad...

>Goethe wrote Faust 2 electric bugaloo
Oh, yeah!
>>
File: 4077864-burj-khalifa-wallpapers.jpg (470KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
4077864-burj-khalifa-wallpapers.jpg
470KB, 1080x1920px
>>9589680
Call me a pleb, but I quite like the Burj Khalifa
>>
>>9589716
probably too old for him
>>
>>9587097
why did you have to remind me
>>
>>9587244
THIS, fucking g*rman turd.
>>
>>9587514
youre retarded
>>
File: 1490580799235.png (5KB, 258x248px) Image search: [Google]
1490580799235.png
5KB, 258x248px
>Under the Volcano was Lowry's soul-crushing, tragic Inferno
>He had plans to write analogs to Purgatorio and Paradiso, and with the clearly autobiographical elements of UtV that means he had hope for his own redemption
>Tfw alcoholism killed him before he could get himself out of hell
>Tfw we will never read the prose of UtV turned into his beautiful redemption story
>>
>>9589774
>we made our building look like many buildings piled atop other buildings
>just so you know it's taller than many buildings put together because "muh tall"
""""modern"""" architecture
>>
>>9588789
The fuck does that clown specialize in? Age of mythology soundtrack? Burn the academia, leave no survivors.
>>
>>9587854
>he wants to be known while alive
>he doesn't understand the beauty and value of posthumous recognition

Utter fucking plebeian
>>
>John Wilmot, The 2nd Ear of Rochester had most of his manuscripts burned by his mother after his death.
>de Sade's son destroyed all of his manuscripts

We will never know the extent of how these two fops swived.
>>
>We lost the writings of Aristotle
H-hold me /lit/
>>
>>9587107
i can't believe you've done this
>>
>>9587636
It could, and much likely will.

Digitally stored information is extremely fragile, and can be easily lost. Plus, HDs have a shelf-life.
Regardless, one strong solar flare like the one that happened in the 1800s, and we're Linda fucked in this domain
>>
>>9589856
this is what happens when we let brainlets post
>>
>>9587172
Why did the mongols do what they did to the house of wisdom? They had already conquered the city. If they were this ignorant did they think that the whole world needed to be ignorant too?
>>
>the greatest novel ever written was never published or seen by anyone besides the author
It's very possible.
>>
>>9589966
Probably went unread and ended up being destroyed.
>>
>>9589966
True. Or, perhaps even worse, the greatest novel ever written was rejected by a publisher because he didn't think contemporary readers would be interested in it.
>>
>>9588789
First vid is rad as fuck, thanks anon.
>>
>>9589966
>the greatest novel ever written is on my hard drive
mdd
>>
File: 1468790148096.jpg (5KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
1468790148096.jpg
5KB, 276x183px
>>9589966
shit man that's a feel i hadn't thought of before
>>
File: Ukulele Man by Henri Rousseau.jpg (48KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
Ukulele Man by Henri Rousseau.jpg
48KB, 400x320px
>>9589966
>>9589987
i think this absolutely the case with philosophy, particularly individualist philosophies
>>
>there are infinitely many non-existent novels infinitely greater than anything ever actually written
>>
>>9589997
>it was the best of times, it was the blurst of times
>>
>>9589997
>>
>either lose all of your memories or don't when you die
I don't like this gamble
Are there books or even artwork to cure this feel
>>
>there's something important/beautiful/impactful that happened in your life that you forgot about completely
>>
>>9590047
If you lose all of your memories there's nothing to worry about, and if you don't lose all of your memories there's nothing to worry about. What's the problem?
>>
>>9590057
Because I can think about these things while I am still alive, and am scared of losing all the memories I've gained while existing
>>
>>9590067
But why be scared of something you can't possibly experience?
>>
>>9588671
Need a quick rundown on this one
>>
>nietzsche didn't beat nihilism
>>
>>9590154
No, but Jung did, and Jung was essentially Nietzsche's most serious student.
>>
>>9588671
shit just found out shakespeare and cervantes died within 24 hours of each other
>>
>>9590162
>just meditate bruh
>>
>>9590172
More like:
>Model your life on the hero's journey and bear the suffering of life on your shoulders and your life will be infinitely meaningful.
>>
File: 20161228_054515.png (1MB, 1082x1022px) Image search: [Google]
20161228_054515.png
1MB, 1082x1022px
>asoiaf will remain unfinished
>>
>>9590069
this is your brain on subjectivism
>>
>>9587097

holy fuck I didn't know about this until I saw this post and my heart sank like a brick
>>
>>9590162
do people unironically like jung?

sartre:heidegger::jung:tradition
>>
>>9590235
>do people unironically like jung?

What exactly is wrong with him?
>>
>>9590232
i could go for another ten solid kubricks. i hope cronenberg is still making movies in 15 yrs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZ2Z55JjWo
>>
>>9590237
his naivety and his reductive interpretations of nearly all traditional knowledge.
>>
>>9587150
>the Italians won't let the lower levels of the library at Herculaneum be excavated
>probably never will
>>
>>9590248
what do you mean
>>
>>9590241
Jung is literally the opposite of a reductionist.

If you want reductionism try some materialist psychoanalyst like Lacan.
>>
>>9590278

I think he means reductive in the sense of comparative anthropology pattern-seeking.
>>
>Despite supposedly completing the trilogy's second part, Gogol destroyed it shortly before his death.
>>
>>9590298

First part wasn't that good anyways desu
>>
>>9590207
am real salty about his fat lazy ass these days to be honest
>>
>>9590286
Well I guess it can be seen reductionistic if you believe your own myth is unique and true.
>>
>>9587097
He directed Barry Lyndon instead, which is excellent and gives a flavor of what could have been. Still a tragedy though.
>>
>>9590303
Humourless Dostofag detected
>>
>>9588637
Christ what an arsehole, at least keep them hidden until everyone involved is dead.

>b-but what if people are mean to me!!

What a fucking pussy, makes me angry. How could you deny the last wish of a dead man?
>>
>>9590164
Technically they did, but actually I think Shakespeare died 10 days after Cervantes because England (with a Protestant calendar) had not adopted leap years, and therefore their calendar was 10 days behind the Spanish (Catholic) calendar.

Interesting, because they both did die on the same day, and most people will think that to be true - so really, is the lie better than the truth?
>>
>>9590298
Honestly not sure what could have come after. Was always a bit disappointed with Dead Souls, it was funny but never really got the message of it all.
>>
>>9590370

There is no message other than "muh absurdity"
That's why Gogol is a minor literary figure. He has nothing to actually say.
>>
>>9589175
this is psychoanalysis rather than straight philosophy, but lacan was all about the seminars.
>>
>>9590315
that's not really required. it is straight-forward reductionist
>>
>>9589175
heidegger said this about his later work. obviously plato + aristotle and the og: socrates
>>
>>9590406
No it's not. You can't claim someone is reductionistic without supplying evidence fagtron.
>>
>>9590376
Thought as much. I always understood that he was attacking the Russian upper class, but I had always hoped that I was missing some deeper message. I know I always found it ironic that the peasants are referred to as dead 'souls' - a distinctly Christian turn-of-phrase - despite Chichikov buying and selling them like they were livestock, a distinctly un-Christian thing to do.
>>
>>9589774
lol pencil dick

women want girth
>>
>>9587130
What book is this?
>>
File: 1402013300746.jpg (5KB, 244x207px) Image search: [Google]
1402013300746.jpg
5KB, 244x207px
>Gnaeus Julius Agricola was an obscure Roman General that conquered most of britain
>The reason why there is an entire biography preserved of this man is because he married his daughter off to Tacitus, a famous roman historian
>mfw from this decision, the memory of Agricola still lives on today

Here's to you, Agricola.
>>
File: napoleon-1927.jpg (378KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
napoleon-1927.jpg
378KB, 1000x750px
>>9587097
We already have Napoleon kino though
>>
>>9589856
What a sad post.
>>
>>9589877
I believe he would not have written until he died, on his death bed, had he been aware of his achievement. It is very likely his mind was not at rest in its belief that he was unheard of unrecognized. Which being unable to rest a dying mind would be one of the worst deaths imo.
>>
>>9589889
Build a bunker baby. I think it's irresponsible for anyone making over a living wage to not be investing in a bug-out bunker. Or at least knowing a local or semi-local cave system with knowledge of water purification and survival.
>>
>>9590606
>>9590614
>>9590628
please kys, mongo tripfag
>>
>>9590251
What do you mean what do I mean?
>>
>>9587636
Not /lit/, but /a/ recently almost lost a fuckload of information. nyaa.se, a torrent tracker suddenly went down and with it everyone feared a bunch of VNs and series would be fucking lost forever, luckily some random guy had a backup, but if that wasn't the case we would have actually lost a fuckload of stuff.
Digital information isn't that safe, better start downloading, printing and archiving shit.
>>
>>9590483
Hesíodo: Obras y Fragmentos. No idea if there's an equivalent in english, sorry.
>>
>>9590248
Why don't they?
>>
>>9591177
To preserve the site as is. We would have to dig to a lower basement level that isn't directly accessible, and the papyri would be at more risk for damage if they were exposed to the outside air. Fat lot of use they are to us intact but unread, though
>>
>>9587182
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vr5YiOOho
>>
>>9587058
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiaQ8-VD-xI
>>
>>9587150
This is how I feel when an MIT course doesn't have lecture videos, only notes.
>>
>>9587107
....well no one knows what actually was lost
hard to cry over a story of spilled milk when you dont even know whether or not if said milk was spoiled
>>
>>9591140
What a loss that would have been
>>
>>9591527
even if they find something new it probably won't feel that important because without the literally 2,000 years of commentary on it by western writers it's not going to have the same weight. the biggest read to "start with the greeks" is not because the greeks are so great (they were wrong about plenty) but just so you can understand all the other people they influenced over the centuries, any lost play or treatise that wasn't known in the renaissance just isn't going to have enough impact on the canon even if it is "good". for example, there have been discoveries in egypt in the last century of both christian and pagan texts that should be "important" (gospel of thomas, menander's bad tempered man) but really didn't make any difference since being lost of most of western history they really aren't canonical. suppose they found that supposed third minor homeric epic, even if it was amazing, it still wouldn't be as important as what everyone has been reading for centuries.
>>
>>9587636
Digital dark age
>>
>>9591560
that implies I really give a shit about that much literature from the 15th/16th century
>>
>>9591569
no one reads mongs like plato because he's "good" they read him because he was "influential", if you're not reading that old shit to understand new shit then you're mostly wasting your time, the modern world starts with the renaissance, no lucretius, no machiavelli, no machievelli, no nietzsche, no hitler, no 6 gorillion, and so on
>>
File: wake me up.jpg (60KB, 1620x599px) Image search: [Google]
wake me up.jpg
60KB, 1620x599px
>>9589966
>>
File: YOU ARE FUCKING NOTHING.jpg (53KB, 507x522px) Image search: [Google]
YOU ARE FUCKING NOTHING.jpg
53KB, 507x522px
>Realms Of The Unreal by Henry Darger will never be fully published or made available to the public
>>
>>9590797
Nah. Enjoy getting mad everytime you see my trip tho
>>
>>9591580
theres a lot of intact literature from the renaissance, where as theres nothing but crumbs prior to that, I pretty much have only read the influential stuff from the rennaisance
>>
>>9591587
probably would be the repetitive ramblings of a madman
>still better than infinite jest tho
>>
>>9591604
I've read the excerpts from Michael Bonesteel's book and yeah, it's rambley as all hell, i think Darger suffered from Tourette's or something, but it's still beautiful to me and unlike anything i've ever seen.

No words can explain how much i want a book that collects the excerpts from the book that explain all the characters and plot, along with all of the illustrations.
>>
>>9591598
>where as theres nothing but crumbs prior to that,

there's tons of stuff from the ancient world bro, although it is humanly possible to read everything written before the fall of rome, but unless you're planning on doing a phd in classics it would likely be an exercise in pseudotry
>>
>>9591613
i haven't read bonesteel's book but would you care to elaborate on the book?
>>
>>9591580
Dude, that's simply wrong.
The republic and the Nikomachean Ethics still are among the most notable books in all of ethics and are far from outdated; furthermore, for example Aristotle's concept of the soul is far more modern than Descarte's or Leibnitz' concepts are.
Those guys are still appreciated highly because they're "good", not only because they were "influential". Of course they wrote a lot of outdated stuff too, and Plato's metaphysical concepts are outright strange but nevertheless, they are still state-of-the-art when it comes to certain subjects.
>>
>>9591644
114 of the illustrations, as well as 15 excerpts that said pictures are illustrating. Bonesteel gives you context to Darger's writings, as a lot of writing came from his real life (and in fact, the entire world he created was essentially a "happy place" for Darger) and he goes as far as self-inserting in the story and writing his only friend in.
>>
>>9591654
well ok but what my point was is that even if we find some new homer or artistotle shiz it's not going to have much impact since it had no impact on western civilization, it might as well be a mayan codex as far as impact goes
>>
File: Tarkovsky-468.jpg (30KB, 468x312px) Image search: [Google]
Tarkovsky-468.jpg
30KB, 468x312px
>Tarkovsky wanted to adapt The Idiot by Dosto but died of cancer before it could be realized
>>
>>9591702
no he expresly said that great works of literature do not translate well on film.
>>
>>9591672
>it's not going to have much impact since it had no impact on western civilization, it might as well be a mayan codex as far as impact goes

What? Are you retarded?
>>
>>9591714
read some fucking literary theory you analytic pseud, jesus fucking christ
>>
>>9589175
Both eras of Wittgenstein advocate using his philosophy as a stepping stone that should help to lead one out of confusion. TLP wants us to throw away the ladder, and Philosophical Investigations gives us a guide to work through verbal exchanges in a way that can reveal confusions and inconsistencies of language. In both, the reading and text are less important than the mindset Witt tries to impart.

Many modern theorists have this approach as well. It's why they're so hard to read: given their skepticism towards the clarity of language, much of the time they try to inundate you with words and concepts in the hope that you will intuit a certain way of thinking behind our usual concepts. I would say Deleuze, Baudrillard, Derrida, and others fit this mold.

Every philosophers to some extent is wary of language. I think all would agree that it's always more than words on a page, and following the letter of the text too closely will lead to distortions of their thinking.
>>
>>9587636
It will absolutely happen. Aren't many of Nick Land's essays lost because the host of one of his blogs shut down?

It will be astounding to see what is lost by the time we're old. Even today many people hold the naive belief that just because something is online, it's archived. But websites shut down, servers explode, things are deleted to make space, portions of websites close off due to bad programming. The list goes on. Our belief in the stability of digital archiving will, ironically, be responsible for us not ensuring that digital artifacts really are safe.
>>
>>9590468
that''s just how it used to be in Russia, not something specific to Gogol
>>
>>9591587
Never heard of that but why not? Sounds like it's still intact somewhere, so someone should get around to scanning it eventually.
>>
>>9591702
At least we got Stalker.
>>
>>9591744
>It's why they're so hard to read: given their skepticism towards the clarity of language, much of the time they try to inundate you with words and concepts in the hope that you will intuit a certain way of thinking behind our usual concepts
I don't know about the others, but in the case of Deleuze he explicitly states this multiple times. It's really difficult to try and read Deleuze in a literal manner in order to understand what he's saying.
>>
>>9590141
Lost Shakespeare play about a minor character in Don Quixote
>>
>>9590219
>on subjectivism
>not recognizing such a classic argument
Pleddit get out
>>
>>9587132
He's still alive too. Wtf is he waiting for
>>
>>9589080
Underrated and accurate
>>
>>9590235
>sartre:heidegger
Explain? You clearly have an axe to grind and I'm interested
>>
>>9590550
>3 hour silent film

no ty
>>
>>9590298
Meh. What survives of the second part is really mediocre compared to the first part which stands on its own. Basically would be been Faust 2 or The Matrix Reloaded
>>
>>9589766
I agree. It's one thing to give them back to a stable country, it's another to give them back to a wartorn country which had its museums ransacked a few years prior.

I hate to think of the ancient buildings and tombs that have been fucked up by all of these wars too. America destroyed shit from the Ancient Babylon city so they could build a helipad for fucks sake because they thought it would be a good place to have a base.
>>
>>9588214
>Pink Floyd, Giger, Dalí
>>
>>9587680
I cried when I closed that book. Reading his notes on where he planned to go with it was especially difficult. I'm a pussy.
>>
>>9587636
it's actually worse. if we end up having a disaster and people in the future find hard drives and stuff, how would they possibly access the information on them? it would be almost impossible. you'd have to know the operating system and everything
>>
>>9588720

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntnBuQAvFjA

This one got a lyric of ancient Egypt and tried to sing it.
>>
>>9591724
...so youre assuming western civilization is gone
>>
>>9587058
>Dostoevsky meant to make The Brothers Karamazov a trilogy
>died too soon
>>
>Plato planned to make a trilogy of the sophist - the politician - the philosopher.
>Never got to write the last book

;_______;
>>
>>9592525
the point is some scrap of homer lost in the sands of egypt that no one read did not influence the development of western civilization
>>
>>9587107
A great library at Baghdad was also rekt, manuscripts tossed into the river rather than burned.
>>
>>9587058
>movies from the 30s and 40s melted down for silver nitrate
>pages from Mozart manuscripts given away as souveniers
>Schubert manuscripts used to start fires
>1/3 of Bach cantatas lost
>Bronte sisters not able to write more because Bramwell
>>
File: 1489284056189.jpg (5KB, 247x250px) Image search: [Google]
1489284056189.jpg
5KB, 247x250px
>you will never be an Irish monk saving Roman texts
>>
>>9589685
Eric Dolphy
>>
>>9589685
it's fucked up that the only dank jazz that comes out these days is from fucking poland, i mean shout out to the poles n shit, but like brad meldau? give me a break man, joshua redman? meh, hiromi? unless ur a weeb shes just mediocre, i want to believe the best days of jazz aren't already passed but i suppose there just isn't enough gigs in the economy to support people getting in enough hours to really get great, it's gonna be sad when rollins croaks, which will probably be any day since he just committed his papers to some archive...
>>
>>9590326
>Humourless Dostofag
how is this possible??? razumikhin and the underground man are hilarious
>>
>>9588288
You don't say that...
>>
>>9592202
You cannot prove him wrong
>>
The Dead Sea Scrolls
>>
>>9592779
there are some great players in the biz, possibly some of the best there have ever been, but no great artists
>>
>>9592305
Not that anon, but the most powerful silent films are the ones that demand your patience. Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen and Dr. Mabuse The Gambler are both 5 hours long but are some of the best of early German cinema.
>>
>>9587636
I think it'd be difficult as many things can be archived digitally, but ISIS seems to be trying their hardest by destroying historical landmarks in the middle-east like the mega cunts they are.
>>
File: 1495785845886.jpg (88KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1495785845886.jpg
88KB, 960x960px
> only 12 of Aristophanes' plays out of 40+ survived
> Hamlet is speculated to not be Shakespeare's own but actually a transcript written from memory by the actors who originally performed it
>>
>>9588637
byron liking the smell of poopy confirmed
>>
>>9589856
This post made me laugh but you're still a cunt.
>>
>>9589966
nah we now have access to The Tiger

yes
YES
>>
>>9590207
it's a shit series but I get why people would be annoyed, it's frustrating to not have closure for something you've invested a lot of time into, and you want that closure to be satisfying too.

unfortunately i believe the money he's raking in and the success of GoT, George has probably very little motivation to continue which is why he's constantly saying about starting spin-offs and spin-offs on spin-offs, stopping and starting a new book, etc. He's too rich to give a shit anymore. Probably just eats ice cream sandwiches all day while watching anime.
>>
File: 1491851325858.gif (499KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1491851325858.gif
499KB, 500x281px
> Pynchon will probably never write another book
> The Passenger will be published unfinished and posthumously because McCarthy is 88 years old and may not have long left
> 2666 was intended by Bolano as a series of novels but instead published it as a single novel to help his family financially before he died
> Akutagawa killed himself in his late 20s-early 30s - if he lived he could have published more wonderful works like Rashomon
> not literature, but Sadao Yamanaka, influential pre-war Japanese filmmaker (influenced Akira Kurosawa and Yasujiro Ozu) was forced into the Japanese military for making a film critical of the government and died in battle with the Japanese. Due to Japan's lack of archiving early films, most of his films are lost except for three, and one of those films is considered to be unfinished/not completely restored.
> Fritz Lang's Metropolis is technically incomplete by another 50 minutes.
>>
>>9592779
Maybe this is pleb to suggest (I do like jazz classics a lot though), but I feel Kamasi Washington and BADBADNOTGOOD have done a nice job of modernising jazz music. They may not be Coltrane or Davis-tier, but they're worthy of honorable mention imo, at the very least to introduce younger generations into a great music genre.
>>
>>9587854
this upsets me often. the likely possibility that he died believing himself a failure is intolerable to me
>>
File: 1495295026713.jpg (19KB, 215x192px) Image search: [Google]
1495295026713.jpg
19KB, 215x192px
Duke of Elgin looting the Parthenon.
>>
File: image.png (257KB, 640x635px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
257KB, 640x635px
>Alexander the Great used to be able to quote large sections of Euripides' Andromeda from memory
>only fragments of the play remain now
>>
File: John_Keats_by_William_Hilton.jpg (1002KB, 2400x2931px) Image search: [Google]
John_Keats_by_William_Hilton.jpg
1002KB, 2400x2931px
similar to >>9587854

>Keats was convinced that he had made no mark in his lifetime. Aware that he was dying, he wrote to Fanny Brawne in February 1820, "I have left no immortal work behind me – nothing to make my friends proud of my memory – but I have lov'd the principle of beauty in all things, and if I had had time I would have made myself remember'd. "
>>
File: 1464218212646.png (69KB, 659x731px) Image search: [Google]
1464218212646.png
69KB, 659x731px
>>9588288
>>
the Library of Congress estimates that 75% of all silent films are lost forever.
>>
>>9588193
What makes you think Diogenes wrote anything? Cynicism is basically ultra-Socratism and Socrates didn't write anything.
>>
File: George_R_R_Martin.jpg (155KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
George_R_R_Martin.jpg
155KB, 1500x1000px
>>9587097
George RR Martin never wrote Winds of Winter.
>>
>>9587106
Edgy
>>
>>9588720
>>a significant portion of the Epic of Gilgemesh is lost to time forever
That's kind of appropriate.
>>
>>9594530
this word used to mean something
>>
>>9591140
Better yet, start
M E M O R I Z I N G
>>
File: 1490822582193.png (65KB, 255x247px) Image search: [Google]
1490822582193.png
65KB, 255x247px
>>9587058
>Homer's lost epics
>>
>>9593820
You are a bit wrong about Bolano. 2666 was meant to be published as it was (published), he just instructed his family to publish it in parts, so he would be able to support them financially posthumnously. 2666 is in form that it was meant to be, if a bit unpollished, since he ran out of time to iron out few rough edges.
>>
>>9587058
7 are all we need
>>
>>9589680
The Segrada Familia still isn't finished.
>>
>>9593917
:(
>>
>>9588711
We dont, actually. Much rather have the constitution of Athens than of whatever random Ionian town.
>>
>>9589041
Meanwhile the Brits just hang on to all their Parthenon shit...
>>
>>9595782
and why not? The British Museum is one of the best museums in the world in terms of archive maintenance. If they're in there there is very little chance they will ever be damaged
>>
>>9594459
To be fair, even most that were saved are dreck.
>>
>>9587702
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lynch%27s_unrealized_projects
> In the early 1980s, George Lucas approached Lynch to direct Star Wars: Episode VI – Revenge of the Jedi, the third and final installment in the Star Wars original trilogy. However, Lynch refused after an ill fated meeting with George Lucas, and chose to direct his own space epic Dune.
>>
The sheer realization that no matter what kind of a life one leads, he is missing out on a vast ocean of things. This crippling thought prevents me from actually doing things 40% of the time. Every hour spent reading literature is one hour less for film, practicing drawing or studying literature. Neither am I able to address my internal issues or fucking choose what the fuck will I focus on. I want to read about neoplatonism, I want to perfect realistic drawing, I want to spend more time with a girl I love, I want to study the occult and see if it's more than bullshit.
But even though all these interests are so strong, I end up lying in my bed, making lists of things and half-assing everything. I never finish books, I never complete paintings, I never finish music albums. I want to know precisely what is happening in Bach's work, but lack musical education and so on. I want to know what living dirt poor in a forest hut feels like while simultaneously desiring a loving relationship.
>>
>>9596064
Me too anon, right now trying to learn chemistry. math, physics, drawing, music, philosophy and film but is so obvious that is impossible, and is really sad, could some wise anon help us?
>>
>>9595773
idk about you bruv but ive about had it up to here with democracy

sparta, corinth, literally anything else would be more interesting
>>
>>9596064
everything you listed is retarded except neoplatonism

hope that helps
>>
>>9596094
why do you have to be like this, not commenting would of been better
>>
>>9596094
>Bach, love, drawing are retarded
okay mate
>>
File: Igor.png (38KB, 511x517px) Image search: [Google]
Igor.png
38KB, 511x517px
>The 10 or 100 best stories ever written may never have been published because no one wanted to publish their story.
>>
>>9593736
Fritz Lang is Austrian, burgerboy.
>>
>>9596118
bach is fine (but you will never fully grasp him if you're starting to study music in your twenties), but love IS retarded and his (your) drawings suck 100% guaranteed

>>9596115
(You)
>>
File: 82mru9kwuuyy.jpg (86KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
82mru9kwuuyy.jpg
86KB, 1224x1632px
>>9589181
>many stories involve people gaining enlightenment by seeing monks do weird shit.

can someone expand on this?
>>
>>9587107
UUuuuuuuuuaaaaagggghhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>9587058
Plays all suck and you should be busy studying mathematics and science, inventing new machines, or laboring to assemble worthy technologies designed by people much smarter than you.
>>
@9596768
>your brain on STEM
>>
>>9596802
>@
Your brain as a twitter pholosopher.
>>
>>9594559
I'll be ready, Leibowitz
>>
File: codexborgia.jpg (2MB, 2407x2432px) Image search: [Google]
codexborgia.jpg
2MB, 2407x2432px
>>9587058
>tfw Mesoamerica had a literary history and dumb Spaniards destroyed it forever out of Catholic superstition

I kind of had a breakdown about that when I was a young teenager. The world is not a nice place, and never has been.
>>
>>9596074
Focus. One subject per year. You obviously won't know as much as somebody who is specialized in it, but wide, if shallower knowledge is great too.

Just take your time, learning 10 things at the same time will still take 10 years and you won't know shit. Learning 1 thing a year for 10 years will at least make you competent enough in 10 subjects to hold intelligent discussion with specialists.
>>
>>9597863
Second step is talking with these specialists. Go to coffee places and bars near universities and mingle with students. Dialogue is since pre-socratic times the best way to get knowledge.
>>
All Pre-socratic texts. Fuck we lost the very beginning of western philosophy.
>>
>>9594779
Fair enough my man, thank you for the correction.
>>
File: 1470152251576.jpg (10KB, 295x305px) Image search: [Google]
1470152251576.jpg
10KB, 295x305px
>>9595892
Genuinely not true, this post triggered me so much grrrr
>>
>>9595937
You just know that David Lynch star wars movie would be the black sheep of the original trilogy and would probably have some truly nightmarish shit.
>>
>>9596127
Fritz was Austrian, but his films were produced in Germany with German funding, German actors and under German production companies. The nationality of the director does not dictate the nationality of the film.
>>
>>9598719
You are welcome

We can still be mad at these rough edges though
>>
>>9587058
Knowing that some of those lost plays probably exist in the Timbuktu manuscripts and those are being burned by Islamists right now and no one cares.
>>
File: 1492054457904s.jpg (2KB, 107x124px) Image search: [Google]
1492054457904s.jpg
2KB, 107x124px
>>9587058
>mfw when marx never finished the capital
>>
>>9598734

Normies don't like Lynch to start with, why do you think they aren't trending or memeing the newest Twin Peaks series? It's because it isn't compartmentalized for the normie mentality, they actually have to think and use their brains It's also why Inland Empire and Dune largely failed since his talents aren't suited to big blockbusters.

However I would love to have seen a movie exploring the dark side of the force and I'm not even a Star Wars guy with Lynch directing, that could be some great stuff.
>>
>>9599344
The new season of Twin Peaks would be wasted on a normie audience. I'm just glad it's happened, I never thought we would see any return to the series.
>>
>>9599344
the best new twin peaks maymay is HELLOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>9588623
but remember the hundreds of years of classical posterity that the fifth century playwrights had in Alexandria and other scholarly centers, that led to a selection of the best plays that were inevitably preserved in the scriptoria.
>>
http://lostmediawiki.com/Home

> the lost sybilline books
>>
There's still hope anon. If not Sophocles then maybe something else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GduCExxB0vw
>>
>>9591702
I thought he wanted to make a biopic about Dosto
>>
File: Contempt.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Contempt.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>9589877

Writing for posterity is almost as cheap, maybe even as cheap, as writing purely for monetary gain.
>>
>>9593780
Alright, I'll bite. The idea that Shakespeare didn't write Hamlet is fucking absurd. If he didn't write it, why the hell are there puns based on the name Will scattered throughout?
>>
>>9598730
Why do you care so much? Silent film is largely shit with a highly underdeveloped cinematic language.

I guarantee we wouldn't even find 10 artistic works ala page of madness or limite
>>
>>9587097

Jodorowsky never got to make dune.
>>
>>9600047
Why?
>>
>>9600999
because dem trips, you sexy bastard
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.