[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm reading Nicholas Nickleby at work where I have little

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (6KB, 186x272px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 186x272px
I'm reading Nicholas Nickleby at work where I have little else to do and it has gone from repetitive to being in a fucking quagmire. I started reading this book at home and the style honestly wasn't bad like other people may say. He just repeats the "narrator wryly commenting" trick all the time. But I'm at chapter 35 right now and it's obvious the plot is finished and the characters and story are just fucking wallowing on the page, doing nothing.

The writing at this point is like being in quick sand (how I imagine it). You dip your toe in a scene, then suddenly you sink in to a mush of wry narrator comments and those indirect, overly long turns of phrase he throws in. You realise everything will take much longer than you thought. You pull your leg up and somehow it's stuck there. The characters and scenes just don't fucking move.
>>
>>9585220
That's cause you're a lowbrow and aren't used to good literature.
>>
>>9585220
You should have read one of his better novels, like Bleak House or David Copperfield.

>>9585343
Dickens is lowbrow literature.
>>
>>9585350
>dickens is lowbrow

Just because it doesn't have five bazillion footnotes written by your favourite post-modernist author doesn't make it 'lowbrow' you fucking pseud
>>
>>9585353
Hahahaa what a loser)))))) women must be forever rejecting you)))))what a joke)))))
>>
>>9585220
>why can't writers just write stories, why do they write about the characters feelings ugh
Go read some fairy tales middlebrow
>>
DICKens lovers are pathetic. Stop posting threads about your beloved melodramatist!
>>
>>9585431
I've got 5 girlfriends actually, and a dog
>>
Read my dickens bro do it deep bruh
>>
yeah, i recall reading david copperfield and having the same problem. Dickens has been relegated to the position of a filler author for me. when i am done with whatever i want to read, he will reside at the end of my list next to war and peace and dostoevsky's demons. shit i will not be depressed about if i never get around to reading. he seems to be a perfect cement for escapism, checking the boundaries of perception in a period of life that cannot be bared. Dickens' wallowing is a useful tool for bricking up one's own life, one's own soul, with the bric a brac of dickensian voluptuousness.

just wait til you're old or imprisoned. these books will shine, they will shine in that they are immersive enough to forget yourself.
>>
>>9585220
oh, and if you're curious about the format, it's a faux picaresque in the style of gil blas, peregrine pickle, and tom jones. if you were to read these, you would be unable to escape the fact that they have this trait of not a god damn thing of consequence happening. some are worse than others, i'm fond of gil blas, personally. in fact, Dickens mentions those three books in the beginning of David Copperfield. noting that DC is a sort of autobiography (even the initials are the same, only reversed) these are of grave importance when looking into Dickens' style, and seemingly endless trudgery.
>>
>>9586153
You should be depressed about not reading War and Peace and Demons.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.