[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm half way through this beast. What does /lit/ think of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

I'm half way through this beast. What does /lit/ think of this door-stopper?
>>
10/10.
>>
0/10

It's drivel.
>>
>>9577811
you remarked its size twice
who actually fucking cares about the size of a novel except pseuds?
>>
>>9577866

твoя мaмa
>>
>>9577866

> One of the longest books ever.

"Hurr durrr why mention its size"

Like, what?
>>
>>9577869
Sounds genuinely too gentle and affectionate. This just doesn't become an insult.

Try "мaмкa твoя".
>>
>>9577875
because it doesn't matter
>>
>>9577869
>>9577884

ёб твoю мaть
>>
>>9577884
Say what, white boy?
>>
>>9577884

Well, I will remember in future when I read a large book not to mention its size otherwise I might ruin the whole reading experience!
>>
>>9577811
I think I might star calling it--endearingly, of course--a "beast". I imagine one might use it as a door stopper.
>>
>>9577811
It is indeed like a massive mammal. Its bulk might prove too heavy for a door to budge.
>>
>>9577811
In stony stasis
Faced by the leafy giant:
Ajar it waits.
>>
>>9577811
Captured by the cellulose-crafted creature, the door reckoned its radial rebuttal.
>>
The history thesis in book 4 got really dull and repetitive for me.
>>
perfect except for the historical parts

tolstoy probably has the best prose of all time but i think nearly all of his opinions were wrong

and then you have someone like dostoevsky whose ideas are brilliant but writing is a slog

and then theres gogoll who is perfect except that he's incomplete
>>
>"dude great men don't exist lmao"
>spends hundreds of pages fellating Kutuzov who he just happens to be related to
>>
>>9578368
But Kutuzov is literally "I DO NUFFIN AND STILL WIN" the character
>>
>>9577811
Rendered immobile
If only for a while
The door grinned openly to its thick foe:
"Well, I'll!..."
>>
people can't admit that kreutzer sonata is his best and the most woke short story of all time
>>
>>9577875
are you reading it because you want to be able to say you read a really long book or because it's interesting to you?

because when you constantly mention how long of a book it is, it makes it seem like the former
>>
>>9578417

I profusely apologize for my mentioning of a book's length. I will abstain from doing so in the future.
>>
It's a great and flawed work.
>>
>>9578365
>hurr durr da prose iz guud
you don't know anything about literature, stop pretending like you do you fucking idiot pseud
>>
>>9578365

How can you know if his prose is good ecли вы пpoчитaл eё нa aнглиcкoм?
>>
>>9577811
Compelling, educational, beautiful. It affected me more than just about anything I had read until that point and will always remind me of the period in my life I spent reading it.
>>
>>9577811
Sorry to hijack the thread /lit/, but do you guys think this literal gate-blocker, as it were, or "arrêteur de portes", as our friend Leo might have put it, might be rightfully likened to some sort of enormous being, une "bête", soi-disant?
>>
>>9578460

Standard undergrad response
>>
>>9577811
In my country believe book most big must book most praised! Become serial winner of every year of Order of the Red Door Plugger!
>>
>>9577811
In Soviet Russia, door stops book! Also, is animal.
>>
>>9578365
>P&V best prose of all time
Sure bud
>>
>>9578638
What's wrong with them?
>>
>>9578370
Not really. His attitude is actually more like Taleb's (which I mentioned in another thread) and even more specifically like Montaigne's. Super aware that given even less complicated sitiations, results are pretty much up in the air ALWAYS. Why these same persons also tend to be the most successful is anyone's guess. Mine is that they don't let alot of mentalized bullshit get between them and whatever objective. Also, modesty's attractive. And politeness.
>>
File: geniusmanlet1.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
geniusmanlet1.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>All the butthurt Napoleon cucks.
>>
File: geniusmanlet2.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
geniusmanlet2.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>9580010
>>
>>9578579
Okay
>>
>>9578579
T H I S
H
I
S
>>
>>9577811
soap opera tier
>>
I'M GOING TO MARRY MARY
>>
What stick with me after reading it are the following sections:
The gambling oneself into incalculable debt
the beehive metaphore
Le coup de Theatre avait rate'
The fucking history thesis

The history section is one of the most interesting & salient portions of the book. I'm sure others have described the same phenomena of the impasse that occurs when attempting to objectively describe history, but it was my first exposure to the concept and thus a personal touchstone. The issue is also analogous to one that crops up in many other areas of life (e.g. in evaluating philosophy (maybe I shouldn't say "many other areas")), and is even more significant for that reason.
>>
>>9577875
>pseud reading long book to brag about it
>>
written by a slave rapist, not even his best work, for all the fluff.
>>
>>9580493
I thought everybody raped their slaves?
>>
>>9580528
I always rape mine
>>
>>9577811
For all that it's worth, inferior to Anna and Ivan.
>>
File: 1414432962622.jpg (30KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1414432962622.jpg
30KB, 413x395px
>>9580019
holy shit
>>
>>9580019
Napoleon btfo there is no recovery
>>
>>9577947
>>9578436
t. pseuds
>>
His criticism of Napoleon and his praise of Kutuzov seem to me to be completely at odds with the detertministic view of history that he spends the entire novel outlining. If every man was bound to play to his role, and could never have played another, why judge him for playing it? We don't critique an actor based on the lines he is given.
>>
>>9578925
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
>>
>>9581454
Kutuzov sits back and accepts his fate, Napoleon tries to control it through relentless activity.

It is in no way at odds.
>>
>>9581709
Good point
>>
>>9581724
Kutuzov accepting his fate and Napoleon not accepting his fate was their fate.
>>
What's Dolokhov's FUCKING problem?
Also, I identify so much with Pierre it's not even funny.
>>
File: 1398891320223.jpg (27KB, 285x298px) Image search: [Google]
1398891320223.jpg
27KB, 285x298px
>It's a "Tolstoy stops the narritive to ramble about historians" episode
quite good, 9/10
>>
>>9581759
a very low IQ post
>>
>>9577811
B+ would not read again
>>
>>9581790
not an A++ because not enough diversity, right?
>>
>>9578517
stop writing russian if you don't speak russian. it is such needless faggotry
>>
>>9581767
He just wanted to fugg shid up
>>
>>9581767
yeah but dolokhov sounds hot no homo
>>
>>9581783
Help me see the light.

Tolstoy's view is that the course of history is set in stone, no one man can influence it. If Napoleon, like Kutuzov, had understood this and embraced passivity, things wouldn't have turned out like they did, which is impossible. If it was impossible for Napoleon to see this, how can we criticise him for it? He played the role that was given to him, just like Kutuzov, just like a foot soldier, just like Tolstoy. How can you criticize me for making a low IQ post if my making that low IQ post was predetermined?
>>
>>9581828

Not quite. Tolstoy is talking about large scale events, namely wars, involving millions of individuals, all of whom come together to constitute a force which can not possibly be controlled by a single man like Napoleon or Kutuzov. Your decision to make, as accused, a low IQ post was yours and yours alone.

That being said I wouldn't say Kutuzov simply accepted his fate, nor was it his inaction that allowed the Russians to drive the French back across the Niemen; Kutuzov retreated numerous times and made willful decisions about when and when not to engage the French army, these are actions he took.
>>
>>9581828
You're making a big mistake. It's not that history is set in stone, and it's not that people are fated to act a certain way. What he said repeatedly throughout the novel is that the wars were not conducted by Napoleon's will alone, but rather the wills of thousands and thousands of other people (soldiers, citizens back at home, etc.) accorded with his own.
>>
It's a very good book, but it's the ultimate proof that a book's length is irrelevant.

I got more out of The Stranger than I did War and Peace, and it's fifteen times shorter.

War and Peace is of course brilliant, but don't expect it to be 1500 pages good. It took me about four years from when I bought it to read it, but at least it means I wanted to read it rather than say I read it.
>>
>>9578563
kek
>>
>>9582165
"fifteen times shorter" is an invalid construct. You're dumb. Maybe you could've gotten more out of W&P if you were just a little more intelligent. I don't normally post like this, but I feel obligated to let you know that you're pretty stupid.
>>
>>9577811
its hueg liek xbox
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.