[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>STEMfag >reading work of philosophy/natural science >can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 11606.jpg (319KB, 990x681px) Image search: [Google]
11606.jpg
319KB, 990x681px
>STEMfag
>reading work of philosophy/natural science
>can't help but compare everything to modern theories and think about how what I'm reading is horribly wrong

I think it is safe to say science killed my wonder of the world
>>
>>9575469

>posts image of Newton the Last Magician
>>
>>9575469
Sounds like you need some Wittgenstein.
>>
>>9575469
Don't blame science, pal.
>>
>>9575469
Well you are reading for the wrong reasons. What did you expect?
>>
>>9575469
>compare everything to modern theories and think about how what I'm reading is horribly wrong
>horribly wrong
m8 the gold dress in shadow problem that your contemporaries freaked out over is in aristotle. you would probably be less likely to build a dam that collapses if you could see how often the greeks and egyptians and persians were right
>>
>>9575469
Except, no, you have not actually read real philosophy.
>>
>>9575469
safe to say you're a bad reader
>>
>it's another /lit/fag salty he wasted his life on a meme degree episode
Fucking /lit/fags false flagging why am I even here.
>>
>>9575469

epistemology and ontology treat different objects than psychology and physics
>>
>>9575521
This. You should be empathizing when you're reading. You shouldn't just be reading to derive facts, but to understand how the author thinks in his/her own context. It's intellectually healthy to not just dismiss errors, but to understand why a person would come to that conclusion based on the evidence and theories available to them. Everybody gets things wrong, even contemporary scientists, but that doesn't diminish what you can learn from them. Today's theories will be antiquated someday.
>>
>>9575469
as another STEMfag I can safely say that you're thinking too literal while reading books
>>
>>9575769
This.
>>
>>9575469
Science didn't kill your wonder of the world.

You simply hit your intellectual ceiling - some time ago, I imagine.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.