[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Le current year >Writing in the past tense Why is the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 7.jpg (125KB, 1086x1600px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
125KB, 1086x1600px
>Le current year
>Writing in the past tense
Why is the present tense the best tense? Why are books written in the past tense still being published? Third person present with some past mixed in for back story is how the contemporary master of the written word writes. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>9573826
>Not writing exclusively in future tense
Fucking pleb
>>
>>9573826
Depends on the narrative.
>>
i wrote some present tense shit and everyone on here told me it sounded like a movie script
>>
>>9573891
And that's why they will remain here posting on 4chan and you will one day be a celebrated author. You showed an ability to adapt your writing to the post-cinematic reality and your peers tried to cut you down for not adhering to their dated standards.
>>
>>9573919
how do you feel about second person omniscient? what are the rarest narrative styles
>>
>>9573826
>he doesn't write in second person future tense

lmaoing at your life senpai
>>
>>9573927
Not sure, I don't know much about the intricacies involved with it. Moving from character to character is fine but I dislike and generally disregard anything written in the first person. Writing in first person is for children.
>>
>>9573826
The problem is that simple present tense in every-day English tends to convey imperfective aspect, if I've got the terminology correct. Jhumpa Lahiri uses present tense in "The Namesake" (had it assigned) and there's a bit where one female character is pregnant. There's a sequence that goes a bit like this:

>The wife eats more and more unusually. The husband moves the television to the bedroom. The wife reads her paper, and calls to him in the other room...

These first two actions are handled exactly the same syntactically, but one of them occurs continuously and one of them occurs once. To my taste, this is incredibly grating.
>>
>>9574080
I think I see what you're trying to point out. Is that an inconsistency you noticed a lot? I can't tell how much this example has to do with this (ahem) author, "Jhumpa," who probably had no business writing a book in the first place, and a more general issue with the present tense.
>>
>>9573927
I love it personally but it makes me feel like a filthy Homestuck.
>>
>>9573826
>not writing in an anglicized version of the passé antérieur
>>
>>9573826
>not writing in aorist
>>
>not writing all your narrative in subjunctive

Fucking anglos
>>
>>9573826
>Not writing in Konjunktiv I
>Not writing in only the jussive
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
13KB, 480x360px
who second person future tense here?
>>
>>9573826
>Not writing entirely in the perfect tense
It's like you want to be a pleb.
>>
>>9574003
Yes, 3/4 of The Sound and the Fury is for children
>>
>>9575095
In some way Russian prose can be said to be narrated almost entirely in the perfect tense (-л ending), as the aorist and imperfective tenses pretty much disappeared by the time of early modern Russian.

Exceptions are, the common word "бы" is in the historical aorist, but it is actually an auxiliary verb forming the periphrastic perfect. It carries the meaning of the subjunctive now. Also sometimes aorist appears as what sounds like the second person imperative; in those cases the meaning is some kind of past tense or again subjunctive.

I can't think of the imperfect surviving anywhere except for deliberately archaic speech.
>>
>>9574080

But her poor word choice and inability to use transitions make this inevitable. Tense would not save this author.
>>
>>9575092
(You)
>>
>not displaying your mad imparfait du subjonctif skills

It's 2017, plebs.
>>
>>9575548
Okay, but I don't suppose you think that it helped
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.